Make a Joyful Noise: Adventist Musician Network Stirs Up the Status Quo

(Sarah Sulton) #21

YES WE DO!

1. The musicians listed for the hymnal are all classically trained, except for myself and well-respected within the SDA Church and globally. This hymnal will NOT be contemporary. The interview I gave specified that the contemporary songbook is a completely separate project.

We will have one of our AMN meet-ups for the Keys to the Kingdom in February 2019

Hope to see you there!

1. The Adventist Musician Network did post an immediate response which I will share below:

"The Adventist Musician Network Executive Team has worked very hard to change the landscape perceived in Music within the Seventh-day Adventist Church for General Conference 2020. We authored a proposal that the Holy Spirit used to change the inflammatory and discriminatory language previously posted with the newly posted guidelines.

As you can see, this important step is only the beginning. We ask for your continued prayers and support as we seek to represent US – the modern day Musicians and Levites. We respectfully disagree with what President Ted Wilson has implied in his personal opinions expressed today."–October 13, 2018

Pastor Wilson gave two public apologies: One after his comment was posted on Twitter and one more indepth after meeting with the Regional Conference Presidents.

I hope this answers your questions! Sarah

(Sarah Sulton) #22

The hymnal team will be drawing from all resources and cultural backgrounds for the proposed hymnal project we are undertaking.

P.S. One of our discussions several months ago focused on the supplemental songbooks and how many of us still have and miss singing/playing those songs. In the Regional churches, you will hear more songs from those books and during some AYS Programs.

Thanks for the Memory Lane reminder! Sarah

(James Peterson) #23

If “he” is God, then I don’t know what you mean by this.

///

(Sarah Sulton) #24

Correction: It should be “we”, meaning the local congregation and pastorate.

Thanks for bring that typo to my attention!

Sarah

(Sarah Sulton) #25

You would enjoyed our Christmas Spotify Playlist!

(James Peterson) #26

In music ministry, because consumption is so subjective, don’t you think it is inevitable, more often than not, that we would hear renditions we don’t like?

I myself can testify that I rarely say AMEN in my heart when the special music is done at the Divine Hour. My taste in music does not align with most SDA congregations; or perhaps those congregants believe, like I do, in giving opportunity to those eager to develop their talents?

I don’t know, but I say AMEN out loud more for encouragement than anything else.

///

(Kim Green) #27

Thank-you so much! I will certainly listen to it. :smiley:

(Kim Green) #28

I have noticed that our friend, James…isn’t fond of answering questions about himself. I wonder why that is so?? :wink:

I’m suspecting that he gets a charge from controlling conversations.

Just an observation from the last few weeks.

(Kim Green) #30

Ya think? Just a bit of tease…a bit of dash and swerve…and then, there is that “beautiful writing” that he does.:wink:

Yes. “Beautiful writing.”

Have you found it?

(Kim Green) #32

I have been searching high and low…for naught! :laughing:

Yeeeeeesssssss. But where is it?

(Kim Green) #34

Must be hidden very well from the rest of us who do not know how to communicate or write well! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well hidden, indeed.

Wonder if he is a humor writer?

(Kim Green) #37

ROFL…this has got to be one of your all time best comments (and there have been many)!

If not a “humor writer”…perhaps the obits?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(George Tichy) #38

Is “beautiful writing” the same as “beautiful statements?”… :innocent:

(Kim Green) #39

Doesn’t seem to be much different. :innocent:

(Peter) #40

Your description / focus seems to be unnecessarily exclusive. Why exclude more traditional musicians? I live in an area with numerous Adventist churches, some of the largest in the denomination. At least four of them believe that the appreciation and tastes of their members are diverse, and provide music accordingly. While they have praise teams and contemporary worship music, they also (often in the same service) use an organ (not keyboard), a choir singing more traditional choir music, etc. I’ve observed that, in fact, there is a growing interest in affirming this kind of diversity.

At the church I attend, I observe more people in the congregation actually singing the more traditional hymns that they are familiar with than I do people who sing the constantly revolving new tunes that they often don’t become truly familiar with.

I knew personally three of the “editors” of the 1985 hymnal. They worked very hard to make it more relevant. However, I will be surprised in the denomination publishes a “new” hymnal again. In the age of copyright licenses, many of our churches even include more traditional hymns that are new (written/composed) in the last 20 years. Sometimes they sing very new, relevant hymns (texts) to familiar hymn tunes - and do so very effectively.

You’ve probably heard it said, and may not agree, that the hymns from 100+ years ago have lasted far longer than the praise music of the last 30+ years. We still sing the old hymns like Amazing Grace, A Mighty Fortress, Guide Me Oh Thou Great Jehovah, and also the old traditional Christmas hymns/carols. But I rarely if ever hear songs like Majesty, How Majestic is Your Name, Behold What Manner of Love, Bind Us Together, God and God Alone used now. Ask yourself why the more traditional are still used (even by praise teams), yet these “newer” songs are mostly obsolete?

So I urge you to understand and embrace wider diversity.