Naaman and Presumptive Judgment

Those who are familiar with the Old Testament are likely also familiar with the story of Naaman. He was a foreign army commander who was stricken with leprosy. At the suggestion of his Israelite servant, Naaman went to Elisha the prophet for healing. Elisha told him to dip in the Jordan River seven times and he would be healed. He did so and was healed. This is a tremendous story with a multitude of lessons about faith, the willingness to do what God commands, and how those who love God should be willing to help all people, regardless of where they come from or what they believe. As a result of this healing Naaman became a believer in God. However, there is an element of this story that is overlooked by many Christians. In 2 Kings 5:17-18 Naaman says, “[Y]our servant will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the LORD. But may the LORD forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I have to bow there also – when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the LORD forgive your servant for this.” Elisha tells Naaman to “Go in peace,” giving Naaman the assurance that he will be absolved of the sin that Naaman knows he will be committing by bowing to another god.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11297
3 Likes

Smiles and nodding for this one also, thanks!!

1 Like

Concise and to the “legalistic point” in many of us. Loved it. Go in Peace!

1 Like

Great lesson to never judge a person for alone is God’s prerogative. We are often narrow minded and think that others should do as we felt is righr. There is always only 1 set of principles but we are too inept to interpret it for others.

For some percentage, (I haven’t been to church for while so I won’t guess the current percentage) I suspect this idea would make religion, and most particularly SDA-ism, about 99% less appealing!:wink:

I mean, let’s be honest. The Bible and EGW have lots of stuff that makes for pretty dry reading. So it helps if you can constantly be looking for object lessons to use like a club when beating the sin out of someone else’s head.:crazy_face:

Not to be offensive, of course, but in all Christian “honesty” and “love”.:rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you Jason. I had forgotten this part of the story and wish I had remembered it four years ago . . .

My youngest nephew (third generation Adventist) fell in love with a Hindu girl and we were invited to their wedding. About 20 family members (all Adventists) arrived at this town on Friday for the Saturday evening wedding. Hindu weddings last several days and there was to be an event on the Friday night preceding the main Hindu wedding ceremony. Of course, good Adventists don’t go to secular events, especially a wedding event with clear Hindu religion overtones on Friday night, after Sabbath has begun. In the eyes of many this was desecrating the Sabbath. As one of the older members of the family, what do I do? What kind of example would I be setting for the younger generation? Some family members chose to stay behind at the hotel and have “vespers” rather than attend the event. After much thought, I decided this was an opportunity for a Christian to show love and acceptance to a young Hindu woman and her family.

My sister and a few other relatives there, including my nephew, were shocked when they saw my wife and I walk into the auditorium for this event. The event was a beautiful display of love and acceptance that reached across religious boundaries as two individuals of different faiths were united in love.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.