“No Plans to Postpone Session” Says GC President Ted Wilson in March 16 Video Announcement

It’s not the taxing that bothers me, it’s the spending. We just voted no on Prop 13 which was to improve our roads and infrastructure. Do you know how many times we have voted for higher taxes for roads only to find that the money went for other things.

Not to mention the big lie that if we approved of having a lottery public education would never need tax dollars. We have not had a single election where there was not a Prop or Bond act to send money to our failings public schools. I consider myself a big supporter of public schools but these monies are being spent everywhere but in the classrooms

3 Likes

I am sure that Elder Wilson would agree with you that as Christians, besides engaging in Bible studies, we should do such things as grocery shopping for sick people and fighting against people’s loneliness by giving them a call.

According to Elder Wilson, “While we certainly don’t want to be carriers of the COVID-19 virus, wouldn’t it be wonderful, if we could be agents of hope and healing around the world! Be a witness of spiritual stability and practical hope as you help others to be at peace.” This statement could certainly include encouragement to do what you have suggested.

As Christians we live in a world where many people have little interest in the salvation that Jesus is offering to us and no knowledge of what is about to come upon a world that has little or no regard for the law of God. Now is a good time to enlighten them about such matters. Let’s not lose the opportunity to do so.

2 Likes

There are certain issues that have to be addressed. Corporate meetings are to be conducted in person. Generally, unless the corporate statute, or the constitution/by-laws of the organization permit remote electronic meetings, the meetings must be in person. These constitution/by-law documents can be amended - at a duly called and held members meeting. The corporate statute, constitution/bylaws generally require regular meetings within specific delays. Like the US federal constitution, it is not open to the administration to decided unilaterally to postpone a session.

We may get some guidance from the corporate world, where similarly shareholder meetings must be held according to state corporate law, and are simultaneously forbidden to be held according to state law.

2 Likes

In my personal opinion, bringing “hope and healing” to the world is a way (and actually the core) of “the salvation that Jesus is offering us.” For me, this is enlightening them, and even more, maybe we can be enlightened as well on certain things. I think we probably differ on this point.
On the other hand, knowledge about the future is always interpretation and to a certain degree speculation. For me personally, now is not the time for such future talks. I get your point, though, you deeply care for the eternal wellbeing of others.

1 Like

i agree that there is this possibility, but there doesn’t have to be…what needs to be remembered is that any condition of health or illness benefits from a healthy lifestyle…someone who becomes ill despite a healthy lifestyle can certainly understand that their condition would be much worse were it not for their healthy lifestyle…

a mature, rational person generally cannot be made to feel guilty if there’s nothing to feel guilty about…on the other hand, a careless person who suffers loss as a result of that carelessness should feel guilty…there should be some impetus for reform, knowing that not only do our bodies adapt rapidly to corrected living habits, but our heavenly father forgives us much more than 70 times 7…

i understand the desire to live as one pleases without feeling guilty about it…this is related to the mindset that lives as it pleases but still expects to be saved eternally…but i think it’s time to break this myth…we are personally responsible for our health, as well as our salvation, and the fact that apparent anomalies can be shown to occur, at least on the health front, doesn’t change this baseline equation…

1 Like

No Plans to Postpone? Hmmm, well, maybe not until now. Check this breaking news on Spectrum and AT:

https://atoday.org/adventist-leaders-discuss-options-for-the-upcoming-general-conference-session/?fbclid=IwAR1QVPrJacjro5ZBxUU7lDu9UUm8Ix3l7DIq2rKmmhlY_0Pl-zSAH0ekQfs

2 Likes

Sorry, I understood the ban wrong. They’re asking no gatherings over 10 people and enforcing gatherings over 50 with the fine or jail time.

I agree. I just saw my doctor for a bacterial infection; I am 79 and he says I have the blood work of an 18 or 19-year-old. I don’t think it was just hype: he is half my age, overweight and his numbers are all bad, he says. So I am going to give him Ministry of Healing to read. All that to say that we should do all we can to keep healthy and trust the rest to God.

2 Likes

Of course, those of us who don’t have small children to tote around, or jobs that we MAY be able to do from home while watching those children, have to shelter in place because we’re old.

1 Like

This appears to me to be one of those wag the dog deals. While it appears that you are being prudent and care about people’s health, it’s a great cover for making sure your personal agenda stays healthy.

2 Likes

Chuck, where are you getting those crazy ideas from? Such an impossibility… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I have no idea where these fool ideas come from. I guess I am just entertaining myself all the while boring those around me.

1 Like

George, yes voting is compulsory in Australia, with a $20 fine for first time offenders, going up to $50.

2 Likes

In Brazil the consequences are more serious: can’t hold a government job, etc. People don’t take risks. Living in the US, I still have to vote but only for Presidential elections. And since I live far from the Consulate in Los Angeles, I can justify it by mail if I can’t go vote on the designated day.

But, in the US about 65% of the population doesn’t care about the Country’s government, so they just don’t vote. And many vote against their own interests. For example, the Republicans want to destroy ObamaCare, Medicare, and the Social Security. And there are still so many voting for them. Go figure!

1 Like

congratulations…you must have been living very well to get this amazing result…

as i see it, this is pretty much the formula for salvation, as well…leaving everything for god to do, when there are things you can do for yourself, is as bad as eating any thing you feel like eating, when you feel like eating it, and in any amount, and expecting to be healthy…

i actually think the natural world is set up to illustrate to us the principles of the spiritual world…this would be why jesus so often calls our attention to things in the natural world in the gospels…

Thjis is what we are are being instructed “Downunder”!!
Hi Carmel Church Family, (From the Carmel SDA Church, Western Ausralia)

The AUC Officers and all Conference Presidents met today to consider the situation facing each of us with the COVID-19 pandemic. They have taken action to recommend that all Adventist Churches suspend church services until the end of April. As such Carmel Church will be closed for that period. The closure may be extended if circumstances warrant it.

Over the next few days you will be hearing more from us about what church activities will continue and how we are encouraging support and care in this uncertain time. This is only for a short season until we will be worshiping again as usual. Please pray for guidance and wisdom as we support each other.

If you are or know of members in need during this time please let us know.

Kind Regards

Pastor Terry Lambert and John Pocock(Senior Elder)

And guess what,“There’s a Silver lining to every cloud”, now I don’t have to feel guilty about NOT going to ‘the’ Church on Saturday (Sabbath)

2 Likes

" I consider myself a big supporter of public schools but these monies are being spent everywhere but in the classrooms."

And as you may know…the California Teachers Association has for decades wisely put their monies (investments/pension funds) in another state for “safe keeping”. Which just goes to show you that even they don’t trust the politics in California :thinking:

1 Like

And then…there are those who do know that they bore those all around them…and still feel that they are “Doing the Lord’s work”. :smirk::unamused:

3 Likes

I have come to believe that my salvation is “easy and light,” compared to taking care of my health. The core of salvation is faith in the faithfulness/goodness of God, apart from my public works. Best of all, saving faith is not something I have buy (with my tithe) or qualify for–it is a gift. We can find lodged deep inside every human mind and heart.

Yet in the area of health? There are so many voices that demand attention, so many conflicting studies that contradict each other. Not even the Eden Diet is perfect for global humanity. There is B12, Omega 3 and Vit D problems associated with this diet. Worst of all it forbids nothing but the eating of meat, leaving open the door to sugar, industrialized fats and a reliance on processed foods and snacks. Which may be worse for our health then eating some meat?

1 Like

Individual churches can come out stronger during this time when the church is closed. No member left behind or their needs neglected. If they develop a caring support team for each other–texting, phone calls, call conferences where all can participate in the discussion. Weekly themes for discussion, nightly prayer meetings, promoting outdoor activities for small groups etc.

Lastly if someone, due to the virus, suffers financially, help them out with church tithe dollars. The church headquarters should share the burden of underemployment.

2 Likes