North American Division Votes to Move Out of GC Building

(system) #1

Following an afternoon of spirited debate the Executive Committee of the North American Division (NAD) Year-end Meeting approved two motions regarding the potential relocation of the NAD headquarters: 1) to accept the recommendation by the President’s NAD Council and NAD and Union Officers (NADOUP) that the NAD headquarters be moved to someplace within the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area; and 2) that the NAD should proceed with the relocation process. A report presented by Tom Evans, treasurer of the NAD, showed data comparing moving expenses and cost recovery if the headquarters moved to Dallas, Denver, Atlanta, or remained in the Washington, D.C. metro area. The report, prepared by JLL, a consulting firm that specializes in corporate real estate, including corporate relocations, led the officers to determine that remaining in the D.C. metro area would be the most prudent move. In addition to the financial data, Daniel R. Jackson, president of the NAD, listed ten non-financial considerations for the leadership team’s decision. These included the access to qualified individuals, airports, churches and schools for employees and their families. The first non-financial reason given was self-determination. “The Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America has a need to have its own unique message and strategies that are relevant and work in our territory,” said Jackson. “While the Seventh-day Adventist movement began in North America, we are among the youngest divisions in the church, and it’s time that we grow up and leave our parent’s house.” At the October 2014 Annual Council, GC Executive Committee members approved a recommendation from the GC Treasury to support a request from the NAD to explore the idea of moving its headquarters out of the GC building. If the division chose to move, the GGC would provide $3 million to assist with the transition. “This should never be treated as an initiative to get them out of the building. Quite the opposite,” Ted N. C. Wilson, president of the Adventist world church, told Annual Council delegates after the vote. Robert Lemon, GC Treasurer, echoed the sentiments of the GC president regarding the future NAD move from the building. He stated that while the GC would welcome the NAD remaining in the building, it fully supports the decision to relocate and establish its own identity. “This move does not represent any distancing of mission or purpose from that of the General Conference,” Lemon said. “The North American Division has always been and continues to be the backbone of support, both financially and missionally for the worldwide work of the Church.”

This report from North American Division Newspoints bulletin for 11-3-14. Julio C. Muñoz is Associate Director for the Department of Communication.

Photo courtesy Dan Weber / NAD

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6387

(Elmer Cupino) #2

“This move does not represent any distancing of mission or purpose from that of the General Conference,” Lemon said. “The North American Division has always been and continues to be the backbone of support, both financially and missionally for the worldwide work of the Church.”

There are a number of ways to restate the “Golden Rule (Type II): He who has the gold, rules.”

(Steve Mga) #3

My dad several times quoted a saying of his dad.
"As long as your feet are under my table you will do what I say."
I am sure this attitude was always felt housed in the GC building.
It is ALWAYS awkward when an Independent person continues to
live in the same house with Adult Relatives. The NAD needs to be
Independent like the rest of the World.

(George Tichy) #4

Another “golden rule”:

Keep your gold, don’t send it upstairs.

(Elmer Cupino) #5

I have nothing but admiration for the SECC. After being threatened with “grave consequences,” devalued “empty President’s name in YB” and rebuffed “Visitors Tag” at the AC, you folks are still as supportive as in the past. What is there to dislike the SECC? If the GC can give NAD $3 million dollars for “growing up,” why not do the same thing with SECC and allow them to “mature and develop?” Isn’t this the ultimate preferential treatment?

Well, things could change in SA2015.

(George Tichy) #6

They better hurry up with the moving out. Because when I win the election in AS/2015, if they are still in, they will have only 6 months to move out. That’s the time it will take me to dissolve the GC "due to irrelevancy."
Well, they could probably stay a little longer, if they pay rent to the new owner of the building…

(Elmer Cupino) #7

I’m not keen with SDA politics, but what happens to a sitting president who loses the election? Are they guaranteed a job in the denomination or are they ushered to the pastures with “golden parachutes?”

(George Tichy) #8

Elmer,
The only thing I dislike here are those bending trees… :slight_smile:

Well, talking about the SECC, this Saturday they will perform the first ever ordination of a male pastor by females! Yes, Pastor Vaughn Nelson will be ordained at 3pm, all presided by the first female Conference President in the SDA history (Sandra Roberts), in a church where a female is the senior pastor (Chris Oberg, at LSUC), and the speech will be delivered by Dr. Kendra Haloviak (she is a professor at the LSU HMS Richards Divinity School ).

Elmer, you should consider relocation… Even the weather is “hot” around here…

(George Tichy) #9

I am already promising him “job security and guaranteed retirement”…, provided he accepts a position in Malta… :slight_smile:

(Elmer Cupino) #10

I forgot all about Malta other than having a reputable MH clinic. LOL

(Elmer Cupino) #11

I’ve been heavily recruited by headhunters for a VA job at LL except my wife, who comes Oregon refuses to leave the southern rim of the Poconos, outside of Allentown. Besides, it’s always “cooler” this side of Silver Springs. It gets hotter the closer you get to Silver Springs. The trees also begin to get convoluted.

You guys beat us CU for this grand event. Will there be representatives from GC for this ordination? This is a first and should hit the Adventist Review headlines. Let’s see if it even makes the “footnotes.”

(Winona Winkler Wendth) #12

See: Robert S. Folkenberg, whose circumstances were, admittedly, different. Ideally, as was he case in the Roman senate, he should return to service and be assigned a congregation or be a senior delegate-at-large to various sessions. Several Union presidents not re-elected were given insignificant portfolios in the GC, just to keep them on payroll and out of the way. If he is of retirement age (he will be 65 in May, just before the world session), then that’s that. He has a legitimate terminal degree in religious education, so he could go to the seminary. He could also return to Africa and continue his fine work there.

(Elmer Cupino) #13

Or you could sell the building to Smithfield’s, largest pig processor in NA, and you won’t have to convince them to move out. They’ll be out even before the ink is dry!

The NAD should move to a more central location to serve its constituents. Washington DC is not that location. Dallas would be as central of a location as you could choose and the cost of living in Texas is very low. Atlanta would be a good second choice. Both Dallas and Atlanta have excellent air service to the entire division. The reasons given for staying in DC are for the benefits of the Division Employees, not the constituents that they serve.

A move out of DC would admittedly be very disruptive to the area SDA Churches and Schools but if the intent is to avoid disruption, then just stay in the same building and save the $3 million.

(Randle Patrick) #15

Wasn’t the 3M allocated by the big “suits” dependent on the “big suit wannabes” having to stay in the DC area?

(Winona Winkler Wendth) #16

Generally speaking, constituents do not travel to Division headquarters—when do typical pew-sitters decide to go visit Division leadership? Washington, DC is close to high concentrations of churches, especially those in urban areas, the obvious exceptions being those in SoCal. Washington is also closer to NGOs and other organizations who either influence or support Division work collaboratively and is set up in its infrastructure for short and long-distance commuting—great train service, even bus service, and, of course, the Metro, which gets people off the hook for airport pick-ups and drop-offs. Southern California would make sense if the primary consideration is proximity to constituents, especially those who support the Denomination most heavily, but that’s pricey real estate, too, and you have to rent a car to get anywhere. Being in the center of the country is no longer considered a “central location.” Further, we are not a “southern” church, and both Texas and Georgia are closely associated with back-water and non-progressive ideologies, which we say are not ours, although Atlanta, itself, does have some attractive attributes. Possibly, the GC already owns property in Silver Spring or close by in Takoma Park, where they were originally (for all the reasons just mentioned), which would make the move less costly. Someone must have that information somewhere . . .

(Randle Patrick) #17

The “suits” don’t do Metro or “Airport/Super Shuttle” service, and rarely drive and park. . GC HQ has their own fleet of car/drivers with pick-up/delivery for BWI/DCA/IAD.

(Winona Winkler Wendth) #18

I should be surprised. But I’m not. That would be a good way to use failed Union and conference workers, though . . . One wonders about what rank qualifies for a driver.

(Randle Patrick) #19

The same rank and above for whom the GC HQ finances a real estate purchase by the “suits”.

(Steve Mga) #20

There is always Kansas City. KS or MO.