Not Unique to Adventism, But the Heart of Adventist Theology

If controversy is the heart of Adventist theology, is it not, by now, apparent that Adventism has heart trouble?

In fact, is it not true that Adventism has created another Gospel, one foreign to the Scriptures?

Graham Maxwell: Now we know there is a whole vast universe of intelligent beings, all involved in what went wrong, sinless angels included.

The book of Revelation was given to help us see that larger view.

And what went wrong in the universe went wrong before we humans ever came into existence, and God proposed to set that right.

#We know that he created this world to provide the setting within which he would set things right.

So we are a spectacle to the whole universe, as here on this world God did the things that set the universe right again—WHETHER WE HUMANS ARE SAVED OR NOT</.b>.

http://www.pineknoll.org/references/2005/q1/maxinter.pdf

#Please see: John 3:16.

Perhaps Graham Maxwell was trying to provide damage control for the view of God that the Bible spells out in graphic detail throughout.

In my opinion, exponentially more theodicy problems were generated by Maxwell’s story weaving than we had when we just agreed on forensic atonement. (See above!)

And the Servant God book orbits around this Maxwell story-weaving, which has only dug Adventism’s cultic hole deeper, in my opinion.

This is greatly complicated by the double bind at the heart of it all that we are forbidden to notice, namely that what are considered “Satan’s lies” about God are the very ways Scripture itself describes God, and quotes God, in black and white on the thin pages of every Bible I’ve ever owned.

Far from being “virus control for the mind,” this “larger view” does violence to our minds, our emotions, our spirits.

Graham Maxwell: Well, you start with the war—if you can grant the war.

Now if you can’t grant the war, you can’t grant the Great Controversy so you have to find some other way to do this.

http://www.pineknoll.org/references/2005/q1/maxinter.pdf

I cannot grant the “war.” I do not believe God has enemies.

I believe we have projected our inner conflicts on each other, and onto God and the whole cosmos, and then grandiosely imagined that God needed us to help solve his reputation “problem.”

I think all of this manufactured drama is puerile, and not even interesting, but tragic, as it creates endless social abuses.

I believe that God is ineffably wise. And patient.

Well said, Carmen. What is it that ultimately separates the sheep from the goats in Christ’s parable of His coming? Is it not how they treated the least of these His brethren?

I believe that love is the only way to “hasten” Christ’s coming. And I do believe that our eagerness to be like Him and to allow Him to indwell us and express His love through us is what will bring the restoration and reconciliation of all things and the ushering in of His kingdom.

We can get bogged down in a morass of explication, and miss the whole point of Christian living, which is to be Christ-like. Christ is the veritable goal of the law (Romans 10:4) The reality of it is Christ Himself (Col.2:17). He is the spiritual Truth, the very Life, and the Way to arrive at our destination of the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ.

The Pharisees and the teachers of the law and the scribes were always disputing over which was the most important commandment of the many “rules” that they thought of as godliness. Christ cut to the chase and highlighted the great commandment of love to God and the second, like it, of loving one’s neighbor as one’s self. When they questioned who might qualify as one’s neighbor, He ended all discussion with the deeply impressive story of the good Samaritan.

Jesus could reason with the elders when he was twelve years old; but when learned Nicodemus sought him out, He didn’t waste time in speculative discussions, but gave him instead the solemn insight “You must be born again.” (I see that gideonjrn also mentioned this in his response to you.) Our Lord knew Scripture inside and out, yet He led the minds of His listeners away from “rule upon rule, precept upon precept” to the weightier matters of the law–“justice, mercy, and faith.”

Even Old Testament prophets understood this. Micah asked and answered in Micah 6:8: “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” “He has showed you, O man, what is good.” The Gospel is not rocket science, though it merits lifelong study and application and absorption. The Good News is Jesus!
When we overlook that, we make a stumbling block out of what is the Cornerstone of our faith.