Nutmeat is Back

J Douglas Hines, chairman and general partner of Atlantic Natural Foods, talks about his company's latest deal that will bring Nutmeat and Nutolene from Australia to the US -- familiar cans already to many Adventists that he hopes to introduce to many more beyond the Adventist community.

Question: Atlantic Natural Foods has just announced that this summer it will be bringing two products from Life Health Foods in Australia to the US market. What are those two traditional Adventist foods? Are they the same as the original products?

Answer: Those two products are Nutolene and Nutmeat. They are the same traditional products that the Adventist community in Australia has been consuming for over 100 years and we’re excited to bring them to the US.

I understand that these products, which were owned by Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing, were only recently sold to Life Health Foods Australia, a new company. Why did Sanitarium spin off its Veggie Delights brand?

Life Health Foods and Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing are both Adventist companies seeing tremendous growth. As the church looked at how to best manage that growth moving forward, it made sense to bring the Veggie Delights brand under the care of Life Health Foods, which focuses on the plant protein space.

Since the change, the brand has undergone an incredible transformation that continues to propel its growth.

How will these products from Australia complement the brands you already sell?

The Australian products are a great fit because those companies share our core mission to provide quality plant-based products that are renewable and above all, healthy. At the same time, the individual products we are bringing over are uniquely different and have a long history in the Adventist community, giving our customers even more great options.

Do you plan to stock more of Life Health Foods' products as well?

Absolutely. Nutolene and Nutmeat are the first two of an initial four product introduction. The remaining items will be announced and rolled out in the US. over the next 12 months.

Those products are top secret but I will say that Life Health Foods has a complete list of frozen entrees that could be quite exciting in the future.

Is it really cost-effective to ship the products over, rather than manufacture them here in the US?

In a global market, we find that products need to be created and distributed for a geographically diverse audience. For example, Loma Linda is sold as far away as South Korea, Singapore and England. Since these particular products are so unique, especially for the Adventist community, we find its most efficient to maintain current manufacturing processes and ship products wherever there is demand.

How are things going for Atlantic Natural Foods, and the Loma Linda and Worthington brand canned food? Is it selling as well as you hoped? Are non-Adventists buying it in significant numbers? Where are the major sales happening?

We have been thrilled at the response to the brands so far. In addition to our core group of Adventist consumers, we are expanding our reach to the non-Adventist market and today have over 7,000 points of distribution. That number is growing rapidly as individuals outside of the Adventist community continue to find the secret of the lifestyle and commitment of the Seventh-day Adventist to a long and healthy life.

So while we have been able to maintain and grow our core market in the ABC stores and through traditional Adventist distribution, we are also reaching out through other channels including e-commerce, natural stores and traditional retail.

How does your distribution work?

The Adventist community has been and will continue to be a primary focus for us, so the 100% Adventist owned and operated AFDA (Adventist Food Distributors Association), who are the distributors to the ABC stores and campmeetings, are a major avenue of distribution. We also have healthy export channels to ensure we can reach the community globally.

What is your major marketing strategy for the Loma Linda and Worthington brands?

These are iconic brands within the Adventist community and we want to continue to build on that reputation while showing the rest of the world how a commitment to health and wellness can improve their well-being.

In particular, we’re very proud of our “Labels Make Cents” program that gives money directly back to local Adventist churches, schools, and universities. Customers can simply return UPC codes off our Loma Linda, Worthington and Caroline’s shelf stable products and turn those in to their church or school. For every label, that church or school will receive 25 cents in support of their specific programs. We also have a number of promotional programs throughout the year to the general market with special offerings during campmeeting season.

Does canned food sell as well as the products you sell in other forms, like frozen?

We have devoted a great deal of research to this topic to help ensure that we are meeting the demands of our consumers. From that research we have found that the greatest opportunity for today, and especially as we look into tomorrow, is in shelf stable products. Portability and storage constraints limit frozen food purchases and in certain areas around the world refrigeration is limited. So we see shelf stable as the real future and will be rolling out additional products moving forward to meet the demand of the next generation of healthy consumers.

What is Atlantic Natural Foods' best-selling product?

Of course, no home is complete without Big Franks.

Are there Adventists who work for Atlantic Natural Foods?

Yes, two individuals in particular that come from the core environment of the Seventh-day Adventist community have been invaluable contributors to our leadership group. Gary Shockley from Village Market in Chattanooga heads our sales into the community and Charles Smart recently joined us after working with Cedar Lakes where he was the General Manager in Michigan. In that position he worked closely with Elder Pizzaro who is one of the true pioneers within the Adventist Food Community.

Looking at the wider organization, it is important to us that we adopt an Adventist commitment and retain those principals in our business and life. The church has had a truly incredible influence on our company because of those principles.

What other projects do you have in the pipeline?

In the immediate future, we will be introducing a full line of new products at the world’s largest natural, organic and healthy products event: Natural Products Expo, in Anaheim, California. Those products will be under the Loma Linda “blue” label of clean, healthy foods and meal solutions. In addition, we are unveiling a new line of gluten-free, vegan based baking items under our Neat brand, which will be available for the fall season.

As we look farther into the future, we are excited about the prospect of a long term program with the leading health and nutrition universities in southern California. Through the program, the community will have direct input in creating Adventist focused foods with the commitment of bringing them to a new level of health and wellness for the next generation of consumers.

Read the Spectrum article about Kellog selling its Worthington and Loma Linda canned products line to Atlantic Natural Foods here.

Read about Heritage Health Food buying the frozen food lines from Kellog here.

Read an interview with long time Worthington boss Allan Buller here.

If you respond to this article, please: Make sure your comments are germane to the topic; be concise in your reply; demonstrate respect for people and ideas whether you agree or disagree with them; and limit yourself to one comment per article, unless the author of the article directly engages you in further conversation. Comments that meet these criteria are welcome on the Spectrum Website. Comments that fail to meet these criteria will be removed.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/7906
1 Like

My children used to call it food substitute. I think they were right on.

4 Likes

I grew up eating Nutmeat and Nutolene in Australia and miss them! Coming to the US I was repelled by the salt-laden Loma Linda products. Now I don’t eat anything out of a can if I can help it.

2 Likes

I am glad to see Nutmeat is coming back. It makes a good addition to several healthy meals.

1 Like

we have quite a variety of soy products in the grocery stores up here in calgary under the YVES brand name…of course the adventist brands are better, but there’s something to be said for availability in mainstream grocery stores and relatively inexpensive pricing…

So help me out, here: This is not Numete, then? Both require a genetically-linked taste for the stuff, I recognize, but I have that gene, and I want Numete! I know that it can be made at home (as my grandmother did between the wars), but please . . . . Please.

I really miss Nutina and would buy a case of it if it tastes like Nutina.

1 Like

My car runs on Nutolene.

3 Likes

Not sure if the Loma Linda Nutmeat is much like the Sanitarium Nutmeat in Australia, but even though I’m no longer Adventist and no longer completely vegetarian, I still love Nutmeat.

In fact it also has a very healthy protein to carbohydrate ratio, and has been a staple for me while on a weight-loss program over the past 3 months during which I’ve lost over 20 pounds. (I had to get in shape because I’m doing a 16 day trek in the Everest region of the Himalayas next month.)

7 Likes

Congrats on your weight loss.:+1: I’m starting a plan now to loose 20-25 lbs, though not for anything like you are planning. That’s an exciting adventure!

1 Like

I dont know anything about Sanitarium Foods canned products.
But I have had their Breakfast Cereal and have thoroughly enjoyed that product.

I DO like my Companion Food Products from Taipei, Taiwan. They have 2 different products I enjoy.

To Kristan – God does say that ANY ANIMAL that has BOTH cud chewing and cloven hoof is OK
to eat. ANY seafood [pond, lake, stream, also] that has BOTH fins and scales is OK to eat. This does
exclude cat fish, shrimp, lobster and cousins, shrimp, oysters and clams. BUT it Does Include
Omega 3,6 containing fish.
But there are excellent non-meat dishes. Haystacks [Taco salads], Lentil loaf, Chinese Noodle Loaf,
home made gluten plain rice and beans of many varieties. boiled peanuts [for kids AND adults]. So
many selections and combinations in God’s plethera of things growing, of herbs and spices.
So many Ethnic foods from around the world to enjoy recreating their recipes in one’s kitchen for
one’s self and family.

With grow boxes, one can do the country in the city. With One-Foot Gardening on the porch/patio one can bring country to one’s back door. There are dwarf fruit trees. Blueberry bushes. Make a place for Strawberries. So many ideas for having the country in the city back yard or on the porch/patio.

2 Likes

Weet-A-Bix is delicious!

It continues to amaze me how fascinated Adventists are about fake meat. If faced with a choice, a good SDA would rather hop 50 miles on a failing flip flop in Siberia to eat a fri chik, if that’s what it took to avoid having to eat a genuine chicken wing at a nice family get together.

As mankind probes the far reaches of the molecular universe in order to string together the ultimate fake meat protein source, they shun the very choice of the Master and his Men; The fish nugget.

There are countless varieties of tastes and textures…delicious. Very importantly, more and more species are being tightly regulated in interest of sustainability and marketed as such. An informed buyer can rest assured that they are not an accomplice to overfishing.

But a brother or sister who chooses to eat fish should never be made to feel like a second-class Adventist by any means. Jesus went fishing with gusto and thought nothing of killing a few fish and cooked them and ate it with his brothers and sisters in Judea. If it’s good enough for Him, it’s good enough for me and my house.

4 Likes

Interesting theology which would obligate Adventists to change their prohibition on wine.

8 Likes

Why do Adventist consider this type of refined food healthy? Non SDA’s find it rather humerous that we advocate NOT eating meat then make fake meat and say it is healthy! Highly processed,concentrated,gluten and unless recently changed full of salt,chemicals and other flavor enhancers.

4 Likes

Question: When will adventist ministers who eat meat stop?

Answer: Its not a sin to eat meat.

Question: But one of the churches fundamental beliefs surrounds the Health message and how meat eating is dangerous for health with endorsement from EGW.

Answer: Its not a sin to eat meat

Question: How will vegetarian church members have trust in their minister when he doesnt even practice what the church recommends?

Answer: Who cares…

2 Likes

Soya beans, grains, wheats, nuts, and vegetables eaten today are 90% Monsanto roundup or insecticide or fungicide ready GMO - Genetic Modified Organisms. Adventists complain that Loma Linda products are salt- laden. Have we considered GMO in soya meat laden with the DNA of a Beluga whale or other animals gene huff and puff for air in our blood streams after we took a mouth full of Loma Linda grilled patties soya burgers. We eat those soya products 7 days a week. Do we see ourselves Beluga or carrot sticks on the mirror each morning.

I believe that Peter’s dream was not just about diet alone. It was a concern for the Christians (new) coming into the church that they should embrace all people regardless of being a Jew or a Christian. Jews did not associate with anyone who wasn’t a Jew. Read the story of the Good Samaritan.

2 Likes

But Jesus didn’t have Nutmeat :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Really, these meat replacements are temporary transition foods to help one transition off meat and onto a healthy plant based vegetarian diet. About fish, the mercury pollution is so bad that even clean or sanitary fish are polluted and therefore unsafe to eat.