Online Stewardship Conference Reaches Around the World

(system) #1

People from more than 80 countries tuned in to the World Stewardship Conference streamed live from the General Conference headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland this weekend. Almost 20 different presenters spoke Friday, Sabbath and Sunday on budgeting, Christian ethics, tithing, personal finance, and biblical principles for managing resources.

In addition to sermons and presentations, there were live online training workshops, panel discussions, and question-and-answer sessions. Viewers could watch in English, French, Spanish or Portuguese.

The stewardship advisory was for church leaders as well as members. The conference was the first global advisory held online from the denomination’s headquarters, Adventist News Network said. Recent technology upgrades to the Church’s website will enable even greater collaboration in the future, it reported.

People registered and tuned in at live.adventist.org to watch the presentations. In some places, groups of churchmembers gathered to watch together.

The conference was jointly sponsored by the Adventist world church’s Stewardship Ministries department and the Inter-American Division.

An array of widely-recognized speakers included General Conference President Ted Wilson, Vice Presidents Pardon Mwansa and Ben Schoun, Inter-American Division President Israel Leito, and Andrews Seminary professor JoAnn Davidson.

The Stewardship Ministries Department said the videos and presentations will be available at http://www.adventiststewardship.com in about a month.

Image: Church leaders in Colombia virtually attended the conference, and sent the conference organizers this photo.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6270

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #2

Now that they’ve figured how to conference this way, we can save a fortune on other meetings. Even the GC session.

It goes beyond conferencing. It could extend to remotely delivered sermons. The technology already exists for the remote speaker to appear as a 3 dimensional hologram on the platform of your local congregation. This would allow even the most distant, small congregation or company to experience a top rate speaker. It would not eliminate the need for local pastors but could make the job easier for pastors who serve several congregations.

(Given that you’re going to use an anon handle, I think it would be better if you don’t register with a name-like “full name”. It will confuse people who haven’t gotten the context of your earlier statements and think the supplied name is actual. Just an opinion. - website editor)

I know George Tichy thought I was using a real name. That anyone would think it is a real name and be confused only highlights the problem that Spectrum faces. Truman Burbank is a cultural icon, not a name. Perhaps they will google Truman or search for Truman on face book. I like the cultural inference that as Adventist’s growing up, we are not much different from Truman. Some never come to the realization that they are living in a constructed religious reality, and thus never seek to explore beyond the island of Sea Haven. Even when they have suspicions, the directors always corral them back within the fold.

(Sometimes one person’s cultural icon is unrecognizable to another - because the cultures don’t adequately overlap. Are you familiar, for example, with George Bailey? How about Asterix? - website editor)

(Steve Mga) #5

If one could get a cheap way to do “real time” presentations, for those pastors who have several in a district, he could preach at one church and transmit himself to the other churches at the same time. Thus broadcast from a different one of his churches each week, but make a presentation to them all. And perhaps even to those “home bound” or on the road with their computers.

(jeremy) #6

one of my employers has now given in to the “bloginar solution” - conferencing on the cheap…i’m sorry, but i prefer to be flown to a conference at company expense in order to munch on goodies while hearing presentations…there is also the value of socializing with other employees afterwards…we must remember that employees and church members and leaders are people, and need actual interaction from time to time…after-all, does anyone insist that purchasing a cd is the equivalent to purchasing a mezza row seat to hear james ehnes perform the korngold violin concerto…

(Bill Garber) #7

It interests me that the news items is about a world-circling conference on stewardship. The comments here are so far about the implications of replacing in-person conferences with digital interaction.

Is there any interest here in the significance or lack of significance to Stewardship as being the lead topic for this approach to conferencing?

(Steve Mga) #8

I can vision 2 things of Why Stewardship is important in any religious organization.

1. It is a HUGE issue Biblically. Both in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament.
  2. In modern times resources are important for both the Local Church and the World Church to fund activities and the function of each. Stewardship also addresses more than money. It addresses the conservation of money, the use and maintenance of the church plant. It addresses the individual to look after one self, to look after one’s family resources. It should also address how one takes care of one’s physical body to maintain optimal health.

(Frank Peacham) #9

I wish the Conference would provide a venue for itself—to receive suggestions how the GC and its branches could wisely spend their funds. How leadership could streamline administration, offer complete transparency and cut redundant overhead.

(George Tichy) #10

Your suggestion is appreciated, but fully rejected…

(Steve Mga) #11

George,
When you are elected, we MUST continue having those shopping trips for the wives while the husbands are in meetings. LOL!!

(George Tichy) #12

Yeah, can’t deprive the guys from the opportunity… :slight_smile:

I think this technology is great. I read stories of people having to spend too much time away from their families, due to traveling. This is just one way which will make it possible for fathers (I say fathers, because its usually them) to spend more time with their families.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #14

I hope the G C officers were listening intently. their conferencing billing over the past 18 months is staggering. Tom Z

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #15

I agree w/ your concern about travel separating families. You could just as easily written ‘parents,’ instead of ‘fathers.’ Even if traveling mothers are fewer than traveling fathers, it strikes me oddly to make a point to exclude them on that basis as if the concern applies only to the majority.

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #16

Stewardship as a topic & emphasis has been w/ us always…

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #17

It’s more complicated than it seems. A neighboring district that’s been attempting to do just this has about given up until better affordable technology is available.

I didnt exclude mothers, faithful. Look…

“Usually them” would suggest women also.

(Bill Garber) #19

Friend Nightguy …

When the church is lifting people up by lifting Jesus up there is no lack of funds in the treasury.

When we start talking money, we cease talking Jesus, the community of faith becomes earth-bound, and the the spending of church funds rapidly exceeds the income.

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #20

Tony,
My point is that you could simply have said ‘parents.’