Oops! Andrews Smarter than Walla Walla According to Business Insider Rankings

(system) #1

We spoke too soon when we called Walla Walla University the smartest Adventist university in North America. Walla Walla's ranking in the top 600 smartest U.S. colleges in a Business Insider Report appeared to make them the only Adventist to attain such a ranking. That is, until an astute reader, Anthony Bosman, pointed out that Andrews Univeristy made the list too--some 90 slots ahead of Walla Walla.

Business Insider ranked the top 600 state and liberal arts colleges out of a total of 1,339 that reported data to U.S. News & World Report. The rankings derived from average SAT scores.

Andrews University's average 1085 SATs placed the university in a 14-way tie for 509th-smartest to Walla Walla's 600th. Those tied with Andrews University: Howard University, University of Hawaii-Manoa, Azusa Pacific University, University of North Carolina-Charlotte, Randolph College, Roanoke College, Ave Maria University, Mount St. Mary's University, SUNY Institute of Technology-Utica/Rome, Webster University, University of Illinois-Springfield, Newman University, Prescott College and Trine University.

A full description of the study's methodology and limitations pointed out "this ranking of brainpower is the most comprehensive to date, but it still does not include every college or university in the U.S., only those 1,339 schools that reported such data to U.S. News & World Report. Therefore, if a school is not in this ranking but the average SAT or ACT scores are reported elsewhere, this school could easily find their rank in relation to the schools already included."

Read our original story about Adventists the top 600: Business Insider Ranks Walla Walla Among Smartest U.S. Colleges.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6374

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #2

So 600 out 1,339. That’s not super selective, is it? Better in than not, anyway.

(Carrol Grady`) #3

Somebody read it again and see if La Sierra University isn’t in the list above AU!

(Jared Wright) #4

Carrol
You can find a more expansive list on the methodology and limitations page, where LSU checks in at number 1190. While La Sierra fans might find that disappointing, there is a note indicating that “the school did not supply all students it has scores for, or did not tell U.S. News if it had.”

(Drhoads) #5

I have an old colleague from my early days at Andrews who has made his career at a major state university, and is now retired. Some years ago, while I was chair of mathematics at Andrews, he came to campus and we wandered about together at some length. At one point he stopped and looked at me seriously, and said “You know, Don, the Adventists have nothing to be ashamed about with Andrews. This is a very respectable institution.” Or words to that effect. To me that was a very heartening endorsement.

(Elmer Cupino) #6

2/1339 is pretty impressive! 2/600 is stunningly impressive. Who says the SDA educational system can only excel in medicine & nursing? And do you think changing our strategy to implement the literal 6 day creation as recorded in Genesis would change our outcome? Let the waiting begin. Glad I graduated with a BS Major in Business Administration from WWCollege (then) June 7, 1970.

Congratulations to both AU and WWU! And to our SDA teachers. And the GC Secretary of Education. You’ve done a great job. Tell your administrators you all deserve pay raises!!!

(Rheticus) #7

ROFLOL

Some stupid “ordering” designed to sell ad space in a newspaper is being given far too much attention.

How does one compare the “smarts” of an expert in medieval organ music with the “smarts” of an expert in Riemannian manifolds? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemannian_manifold)

Putting these into a single list is like saying “you have a 5/10 rating in left-thumb-twiddling, they have a 4/10 rating in back-scratching, so you are higher up the list than they are”.

There are studies that show (according to my friends at work) that people who do well at high school often do better at the less-competitive universities BECAUSE they don’t get intimidated/depressed by the extreme-ends-of-the-curve students selected into the more competitive one.

Like I say, this list is designed to sell newspapers, and it is good only for that.

(Elmer Cupino) #8

Have you heard of the “Who’s Who?” Not to mention “The Best Doctors?” The list of “Board Certified Doctors?” Who can say we are free of vanity? It produces jobs, - printing press, sales persons, sales of xanax and ativan, psychotherapists and analysts. Not to mention tithes. And the list goes on…

Join the fun! Lighten up. @GeorgeTichy

(Thomas J Zwemer) #9

There are several ways of computation. 1. the SAT of the entire student body: 2. the SAT of all graduates. southern prefers to us the SAT of all graduates, because it has a virtual open admissions with a heavy drop out during and at the end of the first year. Harvard has a very strict admission policy from the get-go.

One should have a rating based upon faculty Tom Z

(Garnett Weir) #10

This is an eye opener and I feel no pride at the achievement. A total score of 1060 which is the average of students Walla Walla accepts, was to say the least, very surprising to me. I had absolutely no idea that persons with SAT scores as low as those accepted by Walla Walla could get into college. Now I understand. A cousin of mine got a SAT score of about 1600 out of 2400 a little over three years ago. I suggested to her that she repeats the test after getting some coaching. She was shocked at the suggestion. After all, of all the students at her school who did SAT she had scored the highest. Now I know why. The average SAT scores accepted seem low even for the IVY LEAGUE schools. If my memory is ok, one young fellow at my church got a SAT score of 2282 some years ago and was offered scholarships at five IVY League universities. Now I know why. The quality of the output of universities and colleges with such low SAT score acceptance levels is a matter for much meditation.

(George Tichy) #11

AND a two month vacation.
Already on the agenda: Will take care of it in JULY/2015, after SA…

(Rheticus) #12

Except that I would prefer the rating on their ability to teach, or do research, not just sit in a corner and score well on some random test

(Deb) #13

What matters is what does God think of our schools and their SAT scores. Those scores should be the highest in the nation in my opinion.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #14

best Yet to schedule continuing education course at some Spa that requires arrival a day early and a day follow-up.Or maybe a controversial conference at Cape Town. then 22 Days quarantine with ones best friend. finally publish your experience in some journal on sociology. I was robbed, I was scheduled for a course in Israel one week after the six day war, The course was cancelled. I was scheduled for a course in Manila a week after the prime Minister was shot. the course was cancelled, my CV reaches only to Toronto and Puerto Rico, for shame for a world traveler. Tom Z

(Elaine Nelson) #15

Perhaps if they admitted only a very few like the Ivy League schools, it would be. But they admit students that are not of the same caliber on SAT.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #16

every student enrolled is a sinner. Christ thought enough of each to die for them. They scored a zero! Christ scored a hundred. there are born again Christians in every college and University. and rebels in each. I have been on the accreditation of 33 universities! and have found Christians at each. also a few aggressive rebels. The problem is seated in the Greek letter societies. Tom X

(George Tichy) #17

I am just wondering how many hours a week God spends thinking about the issue… It seems that “the gods” down here on Earth are the only ones actually “thinking of it.”

(Sherlock1) #18

HOWEVER, the nursing dept. is a major disappointment at Andrews! A very poor dept. that has many flaws which the Provost really needs to look into. Students are dropping from the program often, and many at that. Local medical institutions don’t prefer to hire their graduates.

But they do have Dwight Nelson! He is a great pastor for the school.

(k_Lutz) #19

I don’t know that God is to concerned with the ‘nation’ - a clearly man-made designation - yet …
were the Children of God to submit their tests to the Creator they would never fail nor fall short of Life’s design of them. It is still based upon their consciousness of forgiveness and grace: you are but one iteration, the face, Human: 'adam. Considering HER before God! … unto the 3rd and 4th generations

Shall we ever be cleansed? Not in this life!
Yet in the LIFE of Him in whom Life is, was, and ever shall be, we have Life to be!

Trust God.

(Carrol Grady`) #20

I guess LSU feels secure in its superior reputation, but I’d like to see them send in the info just to see where they’d really rank.