Pine Forge Academy Installs Virus-reducing Technology in Dorms — and More News Shorts

In this week’s news round-up, Pine Forge Academy installs virus-reducing technology, a Kenyan Adventist DJ raises $30,000 to build a church in her hometown, and an Indiana church serves farm workers during the pandemic.

Pine Forge Academy Installs Virus-reducing Technology in Dorms. Pine Forge Academy in Pennsylvania will be installing UV Angel Air units in 85 dorm rooms on the academy's campus in order to create safer and healthier environments and transition back to in-person learning. The units use patented UV-C light treatment technology to automatically and continuously treat the air, reducing harmful viruses, bacteria, and fungi.

"We know how important it is to foster safe, in-person learning environments, especially during the critical high school academic years," said Pine Forge Academy Headmaster and Principal, H. Clifford Reynolds. "The decision to partner with UV Angel to install units across campus empowers us to continue providing a curriculum in a safe, caring environment and preparing students spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially."

Pine Forge Academy anticipates welcoming students back to campus on August 24. In addition to UV Angel Air, the school has added other precautionary measures, including requiring masks and social distancing, scrubbing and painting the entire campus, and designating isolation rooms. During the 2019-2020 academic school year, Pine Forge Academy had 130 students living on campus. From WFMZ-TV 69 News, “UV Angel Announces Partnership with Pine Forge Academy to get students back to in-person learning.”

Kenyan Adventist DJ Streams SDA Music and Raises Funds to Build Her Local Church. Keziah Rachel Cherono, a disc jockey from Eldoret, Kenya, and popularly known as DJ Kezz, gained nationwide popularity when she started live streaming Seventh-day Adventist music on her social media handles to help raise funds to build a church in her home area, Kapsowar. She managed to raise 4.5 million shillings, over $30,000.

Cherono has reportedly challenged the status quo as the first Marakwet woman to venture into deejaying. She says: “In the Marakwet community, women are not allowed to do a lot. They are not allowed to speak in front of men or do big projects.” She ventured into deejaying in 2018 after failing to secure a white-collar job. From Standard Media, “#WCW: Eldoret’s DJ Kezz beating the odds during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

South Bend Hispanic SDA Church Serves Local Farm Workers and Community. Olga Jimenez has expanded her missionary work at her church, South Bend Hispanic Seventh-day Adventist Church. Jimenez, 33, has been attending the church since she was eight and has been among the members spreading goodness throughout the community. Recently, Jimenez got a chance to take her good works beyond her community after watching videos and pictures posted on Facebook by Jesusa Rivera. Rivera works in South Bend for Proteus, a federally funded agency that supports and advocates for migrant farm workers.

Jimenez led fellow members of her church to a farm in Hamlet, Indiana, bringing socks and long-sleeved shirts for workers to protect them from pesticides and the sun. They also cooked a Mexican meal. “Some of the people that went there have done this kind of job, and they know how hard it is, and we wanted to do something nice for (the farm workers) because we know they don’t get the recognition they deserve,” Jimenez said. “We feel that this is our mission. As long as we are on Earth, we have to spread love.” Jimenez got her daughters Aline, 9, and Alani, 6, involved in the effort. The girls helped deliver napkins and drinks. Other children made thank-you cards. From South Bend Tribune, “South Bend woman mobilizes her church to help farm workers.”

Please note: Spectrum news round-ups are an aggregation of regional, national, and international publications around the world that have reported on stories about Adventists. As such, the accuracy of the information is the responsibility of the original publishers, which are noted and hyperlinked at the end of each excerpt.

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Yucaipa, California.

Image Credit: Pine Forge Academy courtesy of Wikipedia.org.

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/10639
1 Like

When I worked at the virology lab at Ft Detrick, when we left the lab in the evening, we shut off the lights and turned on the UV lights. One morning the first worker to come in turned on the artificial light without turning off the UV light. After working in a lab with the UV lights on for hours, he had to go to the ER and missed work because the UV light basically burned his eyeballs.

It makes me wonder how the UV will kill pathogens without affecting the students and if it is shielded so as not harm harm the students, how it will be effective against the pathogens?

What years did you work at Ft. Detrick? Technology has been in the forefront of progress unlike EGW writings that have been set in stone since her death in 1915, never to be reinterpreted by another person without being considered a heretic.

2 Likes

To long ago to remember… Probably 1971-1975

No need to reinterpret, just remove the trash that has been added and get back to what she really said. AMEN!

Better yet, get rid of her all together and get back to sola scriptura.

2 Likes

Would any materials from Milton’s “Paradise Lost” count as trash?

3 Likes

Just be careful who (and maybe why) someone tells you what she really said.

People probably said that about Noah too

For example: Sola scriptura tells us not to eat pigs, but some folks preach sola scriptura after they nourish themselves on a bacon breakfast: While justifying their disregard for the Scriptures, they claim to exalt Sola scriptura! Thus, in reality, sola scriptura like Ellen’s counsel is considered to be less than worthless by those who talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

If Ellen thought it important enough to write out an idea from Milton, it is worthy of our consideration. But when Ellen makes a clear statement that is changed into something that it does not say and that reinterpretation becomes accepted in that it contradicts Ellen, that is problematic.

Ellen White warned: “My words are so wrested and misinterpreted… What I say is reported in such a perverted light that it is new and strange to me. It is mixed with words spoken by men to sustain their own theories” (2MR 152.2).

Do you suppose that any of the folks that trash Ellen White, really know what she said?
What has changed? The words spoken by Christ were twisted and used to condemn Him unfairly/ And Christ warns us that by our own words we will be justified or condemned. But when God pronounces His verdict, He will not twist our words to support it.

Fixed it for ya.

Perhaps you really meant only the folks who venerate her
know what she really means.

2 Likes

So…? Why is that your worry or concern?

I have a question for you if you don’t mind my asking? I’ll wait for your reply.

1 Like

Information does help. When I need to know, I do a quick Google search:

How Does It Work?

UV Angel Air uses years of advanced research and development in ultraviolet light and IOT-enabled technologies to create a truly modern and effective air treatment system.

• Using patented UV-C treatment technology, air is quietly drawn into a sealed UV-C air chamber with a series of fans and filters

• Air is circulated through the UV-C air chamber where it is treated with an enclosed high-intensity UV-C light to inactivate bacteria, fungus and viruses in the air

• Treated air is then returned to the room, creating a safer environment

• UV Angel Air is unobtrusive, works continuously and with the in-ceiling design, maintains the valuable floor space in patient and staff areas

1 Like

I think the scripture you’re referring to is from the Law. You know, the Law that Jesus fulfilled (ended), and in doing so indicated that all foods are clean. Including bacon.

Jesus very clearly taught that the purity laws, including clean and unclean foods, were part of the the traditional purity obsessions of the Jews of that time, and that they were not to be followed.

Paul, a former devout Jew and Pharisee himself, indicated the same thing when he wrote that no foods were unclean for Christians.

So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”

He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’

You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! …Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”

After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. “Are you so dull?” he asked. “Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them? For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.) - Mark 7

When Christians eat their bacon, they are not disregarding the teachings of Christ, but in fact following them. Literally.

1 Like

That is your opinion based on your twisting of Scripture to justify sin. Obedience to the word of God is not optional.

Ac 17:30 “And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:”

Abstaining from eating of unclean meats was understood in Noah’s Day. It was clearly taught by Moses and throughout the Scriptures. The Apostles saw no need to restate these instructions to the Gentile believers as they clearly stated in Acts.

“But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood. For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day” (Acts 15:20-21).

Since Moses was being preached in the synagogues, the Gentile Christians had opportunity to know the will of God regarding unclean flesh. So to reinterpret Scriptures to justify what is clearly forbidden by Moses is to profess obedience to God while disobeying Him.

“They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one [tree] in the midst, eating swine’s flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD” (Isaiah 66:17).

Self-sanctification is not going to help anyone who claims to be following sola scriptura while they explain away the Scriptures. Adam and Eve believed Satan’s lie that eating fruit from the tree would not be such a big deal. They died and the sins that followed were unimaginable to them. Remember their fate when you explain away clear statements from God’s word and believe and teach lies that are contrary to sound doctrine.

“Believe in the LORD your God, so shall ye be established; believe his prophets, so shall ye prosper” (2Ch 20:20).

You trample on Ellen White as though she was not a prophet and then you claim to believe sola scriptura and reinterpret it so that it denies the teachings of the very God who holds your breath in His hands. Such things will not be established in God’s eternal kingdom.

God’s word states that we should encourage others in our journey to His kingdom “Cry aloud spare not” and if we see danger and fail to warn them their blood will be required of us (cf Ezekiel). But if they refuse to listen to sound doctrine, we are not responsible for their choice. I have done my part to the best of my ability and your fate is in your hands. I tried to reason together and you have mocked what I said.

If you are not listening to the Holy Spirit’s impression of truth on you heart, you won’t listen to me. God sent Christ to die for you and our paths have crossed in His plan for our salvation to encourage each other on the way to heaven, not to turn anyone from truth.

And many other known authors.
Then there is the “trash unknown”… from sources not yet identified.
:innocent:

1 Like

I didn’t twist anything. The words and the meaning are plainly clear.

Adventists choose to ignore Jesus and Paul and instead follow the old Mosaic covenant and the Law. And then further ignore Paul because we only follow part of the Law, but he writes that anyone who follows part of it is bound by all of it.

4 Likes

She’s not, and one has nothing to do with the other.

From my observation you’re acting more the role of the devil (accuser of the brethren) than you are doing any encouraging. You seem to take great delight in calling out what you believe to be sin in others.

I am and I do. You have no experience or knowledge as to what my daily walk with God looks like. You’re simply judging based on your pharisaical worldview.

And since you brought it up…

Holy Spirit? When did he die and appoint you to his role?

5 Likes

Jesus “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil” (Mt 5:17).
Strong…fulfil:“2b2) to carry through to the end, to accomplish, carry out, (some undertaking)”

"And the LORD came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood [in] the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth. And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, [I] the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, [and] will speak unto him in a dream. My servant Moses [is] not so, who [is] faithful in all mine house. With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against My servant Moses? (Numbers 12:5-7).

Moses was greater than a prophet. Jesus carried thru on Moses teachings. He did not do away with them, nor did Paul do away with Moses instructions, when rightly understood.

When God gives the command to believe His prophets in sola scriptura, and a prophet is sent from the LORD; sola scriptura instructs us to believe His prophet. The command in Scripture requires obedience in real time. For you to argue that EGW should be done away with is to set yourself above Scripture. sola JC (John Carson). [Having similar initials to the real JC that does not infer that the individuals are one and the same or even similar.]

Refusing to heed a prophet’s counsel is problematic. So discredit the prophet and do away with her instructions to lessen the obligation to believe her and follow her instructions.

your relationship with God is manifest in the words that you write and the thought that you teach for it is written: “For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned” (Mt 12:37).

Put your computer in the freezer for a few hours or days and then thaw it our and reread what I wrote. But to keep it simple saints, I will restate the thought. I am not the Holy Spirit. My role is to offer my testimony, His role is to impress hearts. And there are some hearts that He has difficulty with. But if He has difficulty with a particular soul, I certainly will not have any success with such a person.

These words definitely apply to you, Henry. The words you use to condemn others are your own condemnation. You are a false prophet as evidenced by your failed prophetic attempts, just as egw was.

3 Likes

Yes when he died, that was the end, the culmination of the Law.

This is consistently taught throughout the New Testament writings.

From: https://www.gotquestions.org/abolish-fulfill-law.html :

Next, consider what Jesus did do. Jesus says that He came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets. In other words, Jesus’ purpose was to establish the Word, to embody it, and to fully accomplish all that was written. “Christ is the culmination of the law” (Romans 10:4). The predictions of the Prophets concerning the Messiah would be realized in Jesus; the holy standard of the Law would be perfectly upheld by Christ, the strict requirements personally obeyed, and the ceremonial observances finally and fully satisfied.

Jesus Christ fulfilled the Prophets in that, in His first coming alone, He fulfilled hundreds of prophecies concerning Himself (e.g., Matthew 1:22; 13:35; John 19:36; Luke 24:44). Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law in at least two ways: as a teacher and as a doer. He taught people to obey the Law (Matthew 22:35–40; Mark 1:44), and He obeyed the Law Himself (John 8:46; 1 Peter 2:22). In living a perfect life, Jesus fulfilled the moral laws; in His sacrificial death, Jesus fulfilled the ceremonial laws. Christ came not to destroy the old religious system but to build upon it; He came to finish the Old Covenant and establish the New.

Jesus came not to destroy the Law and the Prophets but to fulfill them. In fact, the ceremonies, sacrifices, and other elements of the Old Covenant were “only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves” (Hebrews 10:1). The tabernacle and temple were “holy places made with hands,” but they were never meant to be permanent; they were but “copies of the true things” (Hebrews 9:24, ESV). The Law had a built-in expiration date, being filled as it was with “external regulations applying until the time of the new order” (Hebrews 9:10).

There are some who argue that, since Jesus did not “abolish” the Law, then the Law is still in effect—and still binding on New Testament Christians. But Paul is clear that the believer in Christ is no longer under the Law: “We were held in custody under the Law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the Law became our guardian to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian” (Galatians 3:23–25, BSB). We are not under the Mosaic Law but under “the law of Christ” (see Galatians 6:2).

If the Law is still binding on us today, then it has not yet accomplished its purpose—it has not yet been fulfilled. If the Law, as a legal system, is still binding on us today, then Jesus was wrong in claiming to fulfill it and His sacrifice on the cross was insufficient to save. Thank God, Jesus fulfilled the whole Law and now grants us His righteousness as a free gift. “Know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified” (Galatians 2:16).

4 Likes