Post-Christian Eschatology

Adventist eschatology, and Christian eschatology more generally, have both become problematic. The basic problem lies in their lack of universality. Eschatology, by definition, is a reality with an inescapably universal calling. However, the components of selection and sifting, while also important, should not be the central address or basic perspective. Even the well-known category of "remnant" must remain subordinate to the universality and inclusiveness of the kingdom.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11975
1 Like

“This post-Christian eschatology is not an iron-like manifesto to demonstrate to the world that Christianity is right but a relational attitude, embodied in the kenotic Christ, that tries to persuade and conquer people’s hearts by incarnating trust in life and a future that needs to be better for all.”

A great summation, ‘better for all’!! Thanks for the excellent essay.

1 Like

Thank you for this! That last paragraph spoke deeply to me.

There’s a lot in this article that is helpful, but I haven’t been able to see the author’s conception of the future in God. While he has said much about the form (and these points of inclusivity and the idolatry of control are all good), what is the content?

The more we as a denomination baulk at incorporating scientific learning into our understanding of origins, the more our concept of the past becomes discredited. As we lose our voice to describe the past, we also lose our ability to have coherent expectations of the future. I have been tempted to retreat from both - the past is incomprehensible and future unimaginable - preferring to emphasise the gospel of God in the ‘now.’ However, Jesus and the Apostles taught that the future would be defined by God.

So I must be brave enough to hope that God hasn’t yet had his final word, that eternal life is more than something we talk about to ease grief, that evil can be eradicated, that Jesus will return, “to save those eagerly waiting for him,” that, “the kingdom of the world [will] become the kingdom of our Lord.”

Hence, the project the author suggests is vital. What can we say about the future that gives hope and gets us out of the current malaise of making it all about us?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.