Reads of My Life

(system) #1

Introducing our new summer series: Reads of My Life. We will be inviting Spectrum community members to share 3-5 books that have shaped their life.

1. Antoine De Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince: When this book was placed in my hands by my mom so many years ago, I was so surprised to hear my own voice speaking back. There is a need as one begins to grow to hold on to something more, to want more in this life, and a part of that growing child fears becoming an adult. I feared losing who I was because I saw in those adults around me what I didn't want to become. The Little Prince taught me that growing up is okay as long as you remember how it happened. I still carry this book in my daily pursuit of life and how I wish to approach it.

2. Shel Silverstein, A Light in the Attic: If I could, I would write every single title that Shel Silverstein has written for children here. Each book holds a different period in my life, and though one might find the words simple and often upside down - to me they are perfectly mirrored in the everyday life that I walk through. Each poem I applied willingly to the growth of who I am today. Shel Silverstein taught me that one must live entirely outside of the page.

3. Sark, The Bodacious Book of Succulence: When I first discovered Sark I remember falling quickly in love with a woman that was unhindered and fully emotionally writing to a page, to an audience she did not know, but was willing to openly display her thoughts to. She taught me to love being a woman. To embrace all that that means, and for a young insecure girl, this book started a spark of courage inside me that I still carry today.

4. Rainer Maria Rilke, Possibility of Being: The "Possibility of Being" is a selection of poems by Rilke but one that really spoke to me spiritually and inwardly. From a very young age, I was striving to define the possibility of me, of being. I wanted to live my life not in words, but in actions. I wanted to become something without needing to tell everyone first. I struggled to find the courage to be myself entirely. I still do. But I continue to come back to this collection to remind myself, "and yet there's One whose gently-holding hands this universal falling can't fall through.

5. David Sedaris, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim: I have dreamed of being a writer most of my life. I have had a journal since I was 7 years old. I never thought I was much of a writer but when I read Sedaris' work I fell in love with the concept of writing all over, as though I was 7 years old again. His conversational writing style with the dysfunctional tales of his childhood made my fingers tingle. He taught me to keep writing, and that all those stories I write down about my life are an important link to who I am as a person, and who I might just become as a writer.

Tiffany King is a Seventh-day Adventist. Wife. Friend. Online children's store owner and a promise with a capital "P." You can find her store (The Pajama Squid) here: http://shop.thepajamasquid.com

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/2385