Real Sinners

Yes, yes. For those of us who listen!

This is good. Thank you!

This calculation is above my pay grade. The issue for me revolves around how we treat people. One of my favorite authors put it this way. “There are certain things that are none of my business.” Our mission should be a work of representing the loving character of God and His ability to heal and restore.

(Patrick Travis) #65

Hi Robelle,
I was in a club in the past and there was a sign. “If the rules are too hard, change the rules.”
Spiritually, I have never been comfortable with that advice because it causes me to lose my compass.
Jesus’ death was for all types of sin. If God forgave Manassah, that almost covers the book.
Without using a formula, I believe if we have a willingness to acknowlege our sinful behavior, purpose to change, and ask for forgiveness it is done! I believe that is a daily “attitude” in a Christians life. That is God’s love and grace in Christ.
Only he sees all of our propensities and the difficulties each particular person has. I have found God to be good and gracious and extremely longsuffering towards me.
The most dangerous spiritual condition is for those who dont see how we are not like him/Christ and are self satisfied at any time in this life.
Blessings

(Robert Lindbeck) #66

I think we are saying the same thing. Part of accepting, genuinely accepting God’s forgiveness is wanting to change. Change that is behaviour based will fail. True change is driven by an internal longing to be joined once again with God.

(reliquum) #67

Thanks for the laugh!
I’m chortling postum out of my nose!!
If that blindness is nor cured by matrimonial schoolin’, there’s always divorce.
Some might opine that love is blind, but i can assure you divorce lawyers are not…

(Ikswezdyr) #68

I must come to the defense of Questions on Doctrine. If this volume had been treated respectfully, we would not be having some of the problems we have to day, especially our exclusiveness and rejection by some of classic Christianity and the Gospel.

(Patrick Travis) #69

Your talking to the choir! :slight_smile:
My dad Knew Froom and got one of the first copies.
As often discussed it was Andreason and LGT “mentality” that opposed the thoughts in QOD.

(Ikswezdyr) #70

Didn’t these have to do with sins repented of (outside of war which seemed to justified in the OT culture/era)? I have understood sin to be the rejection of the Holy Spirit continually until one is no longer free to receive it. Sins of character like greed, envy, selfishness, using others, etc are a bit hard to judge until they result in behaviors. The ten are basic laws to a more harmonious life and respect for others, based on love for God and humans. All sins can be repented of if we truly want to be forgiven and are willing to forgive others…

(Ikswezdyr) #71

I should say blatant behaviors because most of us are too willing to demonize others for saying something we feel offensive when we really don’t understand their reasoning or where they are coming from. This is especially true in politics and the overuse of various “isms” to verbally persecute others. So ironic in a “politically correct” society and bumper stickers say “try civility” we in this country are practicing more verbal persecution than ever all over the spectrum of human labels.

(Eric Rasmussen) #72

Love the article. When I think of “real” sinners I think of this:

Martin Luther has an infamous misquote: “Sin Boldly.” (I have seen it engraved on beer steins.) But Luther also noted that when the devil uses Antinomians to try to remove God’s Law from the church, the devil’s real object is to remove Christ from the church, because only the Law shows us the depth of our sin and makes us feel our deep need for Christ and for true repentance. The original “Sin Boldly” quote (probably an allusion to Romans 5:20, 21) was in a letter chiding Melancthon for doing what most of us do in Christian company — minimizing our true sinfulness and limiting our own confession and repentance to our peccadillos. Here it is in a different translation.

“If you are a preacher of God’s mercy, preach a true and not an imaginary mercy. And if God’s mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin.

God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Admit you’re a sinner, and let your sins be strong, but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is victorious over sin, death, and the world.

As long as we are here we will sin, for this life is not a place where justice lives. We, however, says Peter [2 Peter 3:13] are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will rule.

It is enough that through God’s glory we have recognized Jesus the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world.

No sin can separate us from Jesus, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day. Do you think such an exalted Lamb paid merely a small price with a meager sacrifice for our sins? Pray hard for you too are quite a sinner.”

— Martin Luther to Philip Melanchthon, August 1, 1521