Recognition Event Honors the Life and Legacy of Lucy Byard

December 10, 2021, was a momentous day for the Seventh-day Adventist Church, Adventist HealthCare (AHC) and distinguished Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), as the life and legacy of Lucille “Lucy” Byard was both recognized and honored. Lucy Byard was a Black Seventh-day Adventist member who was turned away by the Washington Sanitarium in 1943 because of the color of her skin. On Dec. 10, Adventist HealthCare leaders unveiled a commissioned portrait of Byard, as well as a series of significant scholarships in her name that will benefit nursing students at each of the three universities. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11578
1 Like

To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair.

2 Likes

Is 61:3 is one of my very favourite texts…it’s one of the memory verses mom made us memorize as kids…

these kinds of moments in the history of our church need to be systematically, aggressively uncovered so that we can learn and heal from an understanding of the history of our church…critical race theory, when presented correctly, has a lot to offer in terms of collective growth in honesty, humility and empathy…

1 Like

I would have liked for the caption to the leading picture to be included at the top with the picture. Those were the two most important people in the story, other than Ms. Byard herself. I had to scroll and search to finally find out who was in the picture.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.