Report on the 2022 North Pacific Union Constituency Session

The broader cultural battles of America have reached church business meetings, whether Seventh-day Adventist administrators are ready for them or not. On August 7, the North Pacific Union Conference Constituency Session met at the Adventist Community Church of Vancouver in Washington State. The most contentious item was a proposed amendment to the union’s constitution and bylaws to encourage nominating and hiring diverse candidates, a vote that would come down to a single-digit margin.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11932
1 Like

It would be nice to have a demographic picture of the union membership as well as a consolidated report by the secretariat regarding departments and ministries that have traditionally contributed to increase in membership through baptisms. I did not include publishing and health/hospital ministries that in some parts of the world, especially in the past, were major contributors.

There are two indicators of growth that have sometimes been overlooked such as: new church plants and increase in the number of frontline ministerial workers.

BTW, an institution of higher education such as Walla Walla does not make a “profit”! They are considered “non-profit”. The report simply meant that the income exceeded expenses. What will be done with the “profit” was apparently not discussed. Hopefully, it went toward “reserves” which every stable institution must have to cushion when unexpected expenses or drops income occur.

2 Likes

They wanted a ‘biblical definition’ of gender…oh my word…they are worried about accidentally hiring a transgender man and then having to decide whether or not to ordain him!!!

2 Likes

How about a ‘biblical definition’ of transportation before getting into a car, on a train, in a plane, etc? Does anyone realize how condescending that statement is. A total evasion of using ones own brain power. Does the brain shut down at some of these types of meetings? Pious…hardly!!

2 Likes

I wonder what they’d do if a woman who was born a man but converted (ha!) presented herself for ordination? After all, she has the correct DNA, has that magical Y chromosome that makes ordination appropriate. To them.

My point exactly…by definition, a transgender male was born a female, right? So now what do they do about ordination? It’s hysterical, on its face.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.