Road to the GC (Part 2): Running to the City — Indianapolis — Adventist Voices

In this episode of Adventist Voices, I chat with Humans of Adventism creator Kaleb Eisele about his hometown of Indianapolis, the site of the 2020 General Conference Session. We discuss the culture of Indiana Adventism, how GC attendees can better understand urban contexts, as well as hospitality insights from his recent visit to Oregon camp meeting.

Listen to this Adventist Voices podcast episode on iTunes, Stitcher, and Simplecast, or below.

We hope you enjoyed this episode of Adventist Voices! Remember to subscribe on iTunes!

Alexander Carpenter is a board member of Adventist Forum, the organization that publishes Spectrum.

Image credit: SpectrumMagazine.org

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/9820

Pardon my ignorance if an announcement has been made, but is Ted Wilson up for reelection? What’s the word on this?

1 Like

I was born in Mishawaka,Indiana. I spent four months at Fort B.Harrison. The Sabbath was an issue. The Conferences offices were several miles away. The five of us asked for help to explain our position. The chaplain assigned was inept to be a joke. We asked him to leave and we made our own case and were granted Sabbath free of duty only to be assigned Sunday duty in the officers mess. So we ate the same as the generals.

3 Likes

i’ve heard or read somewhere that TW is up for re-election although he hasn’t confirmed it, but that dan jackson is definitely out…

personally, i think it would be good for both leaders to continue…i think it would be good to resolve SA2016 under the same leadership that dragged us through it…TW has strong credibility with the global south, as does dan jackson with NAD…these are the players who need to yield to one another, and heal…

DJ and TW

There’s a world of difference between the two, and it’s not just in the positions they take.

I understand what you’re saying, Jeremy, but I have to agree with Mr. Elliott that the gulf between those men is too great to be bridged.

true…my impression of TW is that he has an imperial sense of his position…perhaps he sees himself as one of the good kings of ancient israel, willing to use force to keep the kingdom pure…i think he’s done very well in keeping traditional adventism preeminent…TMI has been a good initiative, and the emphasis on mission has been appropriate…

dan jackson, on the other hand, is a consensus builder…he does well in leading from behind…he’s been very good in standing up for WO, despite all the pressures to cave in…i think he’s been exactly the right man to lead NAD…

the fact of this matter is that both men claim to be adventist followers of christ…well, let them prove it…let them give a lesson to the church on mutual submission and respect…

1 Like

Jeremy, I have to say I admire your approach to making positive statements about both leaders. I have difficulty saying anything positive about TW, though I have twice met him in person, had positive interactions, and have no doubt that he is in most respects a very good person.

i’ve met TW once, and for long enough to sense that he’s a genuinely good person…my sense is that he takes both his adventist profession and his GC presidency seriously…what has happened at and since san antonio doesn’t change or colour any of these realities…

i have to say that i’m not as doleful as either you or harry…i think it’s significant that with annual council 2019 less than 2 months away, we’re not really hearing any drum beats from the GC about non-compliant unions…and with indianapolis 2020 less than a year away, and already in the planning stages, it does seem that a decision has been made to say as little about SA2016 as possible…something feels different…perhaps we’ll see some sort of proposal, either at annual council or the GC, that facilitates and maintains the status quo…

at alberta’s camp meeting last month, randy roberts was our opening keynote speaker…he preached an excellent, insightful sermon on the cost of being jesus’ disciple - perfect for alberta’s overwhelming conservative majority…i didn’t get the feeling, at all, that as a strong, and known, advocate for WO, against the vote at san antonio, that he’s in anyway concerned about losing his job…i really think all our leaders are expecting things to continue unchanged…i’m guessing that they must know something that hasn’t leaked out yet…

1 Like