Sabbath and Creativity

Correct. It was given at Horeb in memory of the persecution suffered as slaves. A day of rest for those who had none in their former lives as slaves:

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery…”

“Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work,… Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day." - Deut 5

Similarly, Exodus 20:
“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."…

You shall have no other gods…”
You shall not make for yourself an image…”
You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God…"
“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns." [end of original]

Verse 11 was added to Exodus 20 some time after it was written, after the (later) work of Genesis was completed - in order to tie the two together:

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

The Sabbath is a gift given at Horeb directly to the ex-slaves specifically because they were slaves. A day of rest from hard labor for those who previously had none. No other reason was originally given.

4 Likes

Not to mention there is lots of inbreeding. Traditionalists prefer only marriage of like, robotic thinkers. After leaving the SDA church, I found so many people who where once inbreed that breaking away cost them their marriage, friends, and just normal relationships.

I believe, and I certainly could be wrong, that there is associated guilt. Meaning that while they begin to think and study for themself’s that they struggle because their spouse and friends didn’t come with them. So there is this guilt cloud that hangs on to them. As time passes, it either breaks up the relationship or acceptable compromise takes place.

6 Likes

Yes, as a general rule…this happens in nearly every religion. Adventism has not escaped the “appointment” of it’s own Royalty. And, yes, those bloodlines are still important.

I also agree that “Birds of a feather, flock together”.

Whenever someone chooses to follow a different religious pathway there is going to be “fallout”. When one (or others) believes that they are departing from the pathway of “Righteousness”…there is going to be confliction and controversy. It can change everything for everyone- no one will be unscathed.

3 Likes

As I’ve been staking out a redrawing of my beliefs and worldview, along with a couple of other people, I’ve had said to me, "Do you guys ever think that you could be deceived?’ I’ve been compared, without names being mentioned, to a pod in the Body Snatchers in a Sabbath School class, and more. And, I’ve never even fully shared just where I am publicly, because I know what an uproar it will cause for the traditionalists, and for the congregation as a whole. I know the damage it has begun to cause in relationships with long time friends, and the greater fall out that will probably occur. It isn’t an easy place in which to be.

I thank God for the few close friend that I have who are of the same mindset, and being able to journey through with them, and for being able to come here to share and process my thoughts, without fear of condemnation.

Thanks…

Frank

7 Likes

Ted Wilson is bound and determined to build a last day’s Tower of Babel out of the Red Books. Sound last days doctrine has advanced far beyond the post millerite era. The beasts of Daniel and Revelation don’t walk on all fours. Each one is a morph of Lucifer’s lackeys. Yet the bottom line in each is the issue Who alone is worthy of worship. The game plan has not changed since the three worthies of Daniel. One need not bow in the direction of Tacoma Park or Rome.

6 Likes

On “Being Deceived”…it is a “thing” or a “place”? :grin:

Okay, I will admit that this question is somewhat rhetorical in nature. However, the greatest “deception” is when we are not honest with ourselves. You, my friend, are an honest man. It is prudent to understand that everyone is at a different place and that their “reactions” are often more about where they are than about you.

I always appreciate your contributions because I know that they completely reflect what you have conscientiously and methodically thought through. I cannot say this about many of the very conservative folks that have frequented here. Some have, but many parrot what others they admire say or do…they have only evolved this far in their spiritual existence.

You will do fine because I know that you follow the Spirit and study for yourself. God will continue to work with and through you.

6 Likes

Another interesting aspect to the evening/morning designation has to do with the meaning of Hebrew words. The root word for evening is “erev” which means disorder, chaos; the root word for morning is “boker”, which is the root word for orderly, being able to be discerned. The picture is obvious - creation going from disorder and chaos to order. That goes against basic physics which goes from order to disorder. Any system left alone deteriorates - buildings, properties, people. Everything has to be maintained, or else it deteriorates into disorder, chaos, and (with people) death.

This concept was pointed out by Gerald Schroeder in his book, The Science of God .

2 Likes

That is interesting. I can remember trying to see, even as a kid, how an evening could be forced into the narrative between “Let there be light” and the resulting instantaneous daylight. The best I could do was conclude that God had arbitrarily named the last twelve hours of pre-creation darkness “evening”. I was genuinely distressed that God would pull a fast one like that on us. :roll_eyes:

It was many years later that I learned that erev and boker aren’t portions of the day, but rather the moments of transition that we call “sundown” and “sunup”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Quite an interesting metaphor, Red Books building a Tower of Babel in the Last Days.

This is the Last Question of Life. One we must settle before our own deaths, when the “world come to an end” for each one of us.

Is it possible to “worship” the Red Books at the expense losing a generation?

one need know the early history of Ellen White. the years before Early Writings, She had a brief but critical sojourn with penacostism here she acquired her gifts of the spirit. note She latched on to the Sabbath through Joseph Bates and the Investigative Judgment through two young men in a corn field, then her life style from an emerging understanding of physiology ie Dr Brown et al. After she established her “gifts” she retreated to night visions. She extended her career through the eyes and ears of her son Willy. The 1919 Bible Conference was an early attempt to right the ship. Elder Spicer killed it.

4 Likes

Nailed it, Tom. In a few short sentences, the history of how it all came about, and Willie’s hand in the machinations of how things were handled and directed. Your concise description is magnificent!

4 Likes

LOL, the smoke and mirrors machinations of Battle Creek? Gas can Willie?

You had me at “smoke”. :sunglasses:

Gas can Willie…priceless.:slightly_smiling_face:

Memory fades after enough decades, but I remember that early on, she went to a physician to get a prognosis on what she referred to as “fits”. The doctor said that in his practice he had seen similar manifestations taper to zero at menopause. When she reached that general age, her daytime “visions” did, indeed, taper to zero.

She then reported the onset of nighttime visions, but I don’t recall that there were ever any witnesses.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.