Sabbath Word: The Problem With the Argument for Women's Ordination

(Spectrumbot) #1

Kessia Reyne Bennett has served as a university chaplain, an evangelist, a pastor, and a social media professional. She is currently I'm pursuing a PhD in systematic theology from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. On January 24, she spoke at Loma Linda University Church's Re:Live Sabbath School during a weekend focused on the topic of women's ordination called "Women's Ordination: The Road to San Antonio." In her sermon entitled "Rights and Wrongs," Bennett addressed the problem with the argument for women's ordination.

Her sermon begins at the 22:20 mark in the video below.

Called Out Pt. 4 from Re:Live Ministry on Vimeo.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6720

(Andreas Bochmann) #2

Amen and Amen to this sermon.

While the preacher self-critically questions the equal rights arguments she also debunks headship theology without even addressing it. Ordination is NOT about investing someone with special authority, prestige and lordship over others, but about recognizing that someone has been called by God Himself to be a servant, a slave.

Challenging approach, addressing both sides of the camp of WO. A sermon worth pondering a little longer.

Kessia done a really good job; I must give credit where its due.

Hello Elmer, @elmer_cupino

Remember that sermon I told you about not too long ago, at my church, on women’s ordination, and how the speaker differentiated between, pastor, elder, deacon etc? And how he used the original Greek to make it very clear what the NT actually says. I have not downloaded it yet. But for anyone wanting to listen to his presentation they can at:

Introduction to Ordination of the Female Kind

I may listen to it again myself, I’ve forgotten some of it. But remember it being presented extremely well.

If anyone happens to listen to this let me know what you think.

(Steve Mga) #4

A discussion from 1 Cor 9,10. Right Reasons for ANYONE receiving The Call and being Ordained to The Ministry.

(Ann) #5

Powerful message. Kessia is spot on that WO has nothing to do with equal rights and everything to do with acknowledging that God may call and gift whomever He wills. And it is precisely because of this correct understanding that the majority of church leaders at the highest levels support the motion to allow each division to decide when the time is right to move forward with WO in their regions. TW is one of the few leaders at the GC who clings to the notion that a measure of status and prestige is conveyed at ordination that could never be imparted to women… He marginalizes fellow elected leaders who disagree with him and bullies them into silence even though they have walked him back from the cliff several times when he has unilaterally threatened grave consequences and was ready to create a crisis in the church.

The tide has turned on the issue of WO because it is virtually impossible to ignore the evidence of the Holy Spirit’s work through women in all lines of ministry–including leadership–around the world.

A winsome presentation of a provocative and radical message: it’s not about women (or men). It’s all about God.

(nancy jean foote) #7

Of all the talks about this from both men and women this one nailed it. I have felt over the years that some people just were wrong for the ministry, be they men or women; but they felt that it was something they were interested in, or something they chose out of many different fields of endeavor, or that some people had encouraged them to do it. yet ministry isn’t a career, it’s a calling and we should be fearful to enter where God has not called. Amen and Amen to what this young Minister in Christ has shared.

(Marianne Faust) #8

Amen!
Powerful and clear.
I don’t understand why this is even a question anymore. God is the one who calls. If he has called only one woman, the whole headship ideology falls, since God would not go against his own principle. That he has called many many women is clear. Who are we to refuse to acknowledge this call? She is right, this is a sin against the Holy Spirit.

(Randle Patrick) #9

She won’t be invited to speak in San Antonio.

(Marianne Faust) #10

may be we should help this sermon to be spread and heard in all countries then…

(jeremy) #11

excellent, compelling clarity…kessia herself is in the right profession…

(Steve Mga) #12

Tony
Thanks. That study or “class” from the North Fitzroy church certainly compliments Kessia’s study, “class” on WHO can be, should be, allowed to be an Under-Shepherd of the Flock.

Again, these two WILL NOT be platform guests at SA15, as someone pointed out.
They make too much sense from the Written Word, using the Bible Only as our Authority.

(Hymers Wilson) #13

I understand what Kessia is trying to say. Women in ministry is not a right. It is an acknowledgement that God has the right to choose whoever to ministry.
However, when the Adventist church refuses to acknowledge that God has this right and refuses to acknowledge that God can call women, and refuses merely because they are women and not men, then it does become a matter of civil rights. The focus therefore becomes knocking down the notion that being a woman is a barrier to receiving God’s call merely because she is a different gender.
It is very reminiscent of the civil rights struggle where without question all people are human beings created by God but the civil rights movement focused on knocking down the notion that being black made one less than human because this or that person had a different skin colour, which then acted as a barrier to being accepted as a full human being with all its privileges.

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #14

Ann, although I agree w/ your 1st paragraph, I remain doubtful about your 2nd. A preponderance of GC delegates respect the president’s authority in such a way that they won’t vote against his preferences—regardless of other leaders who disagree, & even the evidence of the Spirit working through women. We can read in comments here how that evidence is explained away & even demonized.

(George Tichy) #15

Another young female star that makes total sense and introduces one more element to debunk the idea that men have the right to usurp the ordination process and deny it to women.

Her voice will certainly resonate strong and will reach many places in the world.
Another punch in the gut? I think so!

(Thomas J Zwemer) #16

I was confronted by two cultural issues. 1. WO which I strongly agree, 2. and informality with which I find difficult to accept. first. The setting is in an audience with God. second the setting is formal, an assembly to intellectually and spirituality interchange at the highest possible level. one has to understand, I am 90. At home, I do come before God in my PJ’s. I don’t find that informality comfortable in Church. Tom Z

(George Tichy) #17

Not that fast… Don’t we need to first have this sermon scrutinized and evaluated (and most certainly refuted and repelled ) by Kevin @kevindpaulson before we promote it?

This is why we have emphasized “without regard to gender” instead of “women”. It is about God’s ideal and common outflowing to all people without regard to any human aspect. This is why discriminating on gender in ordination is an affront to God and the opponents and some proponents are fighting the wrong fight. It is not so much an affront to rights, but to God’s desire to commission humans that He blesses. God clearly calls many to specific service leadership (er Ministry) so we oppose God when we hold that intent back. It is really quite that simple to me.

(George Tichy) #19

She may be another one directed by the GC security to the Spectrum booth, to be in company of Sandy Roberts, Chris Oberg, and many others to appreciate from there what the men in black suits are deciding about their fate…
I wonder if the booth is big enough to accommodate all the women attending the event…

http://ordinationtruth.com/2015/03/15/nad-congregation-responds-to-nad-wo-mailing/