Sandra E. Roberts Nominated for Pacific Union Conference Executive Secretary

The Pacific Union Conference Nominating Committee has released a partial report of nominations ahead of the union’s 2021 Constituency Session, to be held August 15-16 in Tucson, Arizona. Headlining the nominees are Bradford C. Newton for president and Sandra E. Roberts for executive secretary. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11260
1 Like

ok so i guess skipping over newton for union president would look confrontational, and put roberts in an awkward position…executive secretary in a union is still good, and roberts is obviously next up for the presidency…all’s well that ends well…

3 Likes

is anybody considering chris oberg as a replacement for sandra roberts for SECC president…i think she’d make a terrific president…she seems to have natural leadership skills…

1 Like

In keeping with the tradition, the SECC executive secretary should be next to succeed to the presidency? Well, whoever… I just hope for term limits to every elected position.

probably, but unless this tradition is an actual by-law, the nominating committee should be able to nominate anyone…

of course these positions normally require ordination…i’m not sure if chris oberg is ordained…she may be a commissioned pastor…but this is something that should be quite easy to remedy…after-all, why wouldn’t the senior pastor of a major church qualify for ordination immediately…she could be ordained and then named to the conference presidency on the same day…

i just think it’s time for conferences to start being a little proactive now…there are so many gifted women who’ve been passed over for yrs…so if a male executive secretary is passed over in order to make room for an obviously gifted female conference president, i can’t say i’m losing sleep over it…

as for term limits, have you considered what this would mean financially for the persons involved…they likely wouldn’t qualify for retirement, which means the time they’d be putting in for a term or two is probably wasted…and at least some of them probably have families to think about…

2 Likes

Pastor Chris, along with 18 other women in SECC, are fully ordained. That number will increase this summer by at least 2.

3 Likes

this is perfect…it means there’s no administrative reason for chris oberg not to be nominated as SECC president…

i just think there’s something very real in the way she communicates, which is just what our churches need more of…here she is, as one of three prominent pastors, on her experience in the GC TOSC…she really does have a communication gift (as do the other two pastors):

I’m glad for president Roberts; however, this move will probably result in even more persecution of our Union Conference. Maybe that would finally result in a new GC president, one who will affirm - rather than persecute - our equally valuable women ministers/leaders. I pray for that every day.

2 Likes

sadly, and for all his many good qualities, it doesn’t seem as though TW is able to come around to the idea that men and women really are equal, and that god dispenses spiritual gifts without regard to gender…

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.