South African Adventist Church Treasurer Sentenced for Theft—and More News

Lady Memory Mutsika, former church treasurer of the Pretoria City Seventh-day Adventist Church in South Africa, was sentenced to three years in prison for theft. She was convicted of stealing church tithes and offerings and depositing the money to her personal bank account, according to a report by Ernest Mabuza for TimesLIVE.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/12080
1 Like

So… A church VP in Africa repeatedly and habitually lies about his education and other things - from the pulpit - and then as a result (if I remember) is promoted to a position at the GC.

And then later a church treasurer steals money - about $42,000 - from the church, the church reports her, and she lands in jail for three years.

Oh, wait, now I get it: Money.

Now it makes sense.

6 Likes

The financial corrution at the SID (millions of Rands) was even worse and apparently also the TOC (also millions of Rands) conference.

But no criminal conviction.

Not to mention corrupt lies about academic qualifications…

4 Likes

it’s sad to see this kind of corruption in a fast-growing segment of the Church…it really does add to the suspicion that baptisms in this part of the world are driven by a hope for financial gain, rather than a response to conviction…

2 Likes

How a member of the church are able to steal money for many years, without notice from the SDA administration??? I live in Argentina and it happen the same.

1 Like

also GC need votes (WO just one example: Latin america and African voted TW agenda…)

1 Like

This reminds me of our Lord’s scathing rebuke over the affairs of the Temple: “My house shall be called a house of prayer; but you have made it a den of thieves.” - Matthew 21:13.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.