South American Division of Seventh-day Adventists Votes to Allow Women Elders

On July 8, 2021, a special commission that had been tasked with finding ways to strengthen the ministry of elders in the South American Division (SAD) presented its findings to the division’s executive committee. While the commission’s report contained a number of provisions concerning the role of elders, one point in particular will change the ministry landscape: for the first time, women can be ordained to serve as elders in SAD churches.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11319
1 Like

We think of South America as being a MACHO culture with male dominance.

But surprisingly, eight Latin American countries have elected female presidents, including the large South American countries —
Chile, Brazil, and Argentina.

Argentina has had two female heads of state.

So our South American brethren are exceedingly belated / tardy in according Adventist women equal rights in their congregations.

When Brazil, Argentina, and Chile have all been headed by female politicians, why have our Adventist women on that continent been subjected to second class status for so long ??

1 Like

i suspect its vestiges of primitive culture, but also a conflation between husband headship and male headship…this conflation is widespread amongst conservative christians, even in societies that aren’t characterized by a strong macho culture…

1 Like

Let me understand this. In 2015, “Thou said the Lord: women shall not be elders.” And in 2021, “Thou said the Lord: it is ok to have women elders.” Did I get it right?

2 Likes

No. But in certain instances the Adventist church, not relying solely on the authority of the Bible, claims also to act authoritatively.

1 Like

They speak with prophetic authority given them by their prophet!

They are as inconsistent and contradictory as Ellen White’s voluminous writings.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.