South Pacific Division President Responds to New Zealand Mosque Shooting

Forty-nine people are dead and at least 48 more injured, including young children, following shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday, March 15, 2019. The shootings took place around midday prayer at the Al Noor Mosque and the Linwood Mosque.

The gunman, who is in his late 20s, has been arrested and charged with murder. According to reports, a white supremacist manifesto appeared online just minutes before the attack began. Seventeen minutes of video were live-streamed to Facebook from a camera apparently worn by the gunman before Facebook shut down the account.

In a Facebook post from his official account, Glenn Townend, president of the South Pacific Division of Seventh-day Adventists, stated:

The whole of the SPD is saddened to hear of the unnecessary loss of life in Christchurch NZ today with the shootings in two mosques. Religious freedom is valued by all Seventh-day Adventists and to have one’s life cut short while worshipping is almost unimaginable. I ask all Seventh-day Adventists to pray for the victims and their families and stand in solidarity for the freedom to worship when, how and who you choose.

The South New Zealand Conference, which is located in Christchurch, posted a message to its Facebook page as well, requesting that local churches throughout the conference make time for prayer on Sabbath for those affected. “Jesus stated that His house would be a house of prayer. We hold onto Jesus and His Word in times like these.”

Similar calls for prayer and condolences were posted by the North New Zealand Conference and the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Australia as well.

Notes & References:

New Zealand Shooting Live Updates: 49 Are Dead After 2 Mosques Are Hit,” New York Times

Christchurch Mosque Shootings Were Partly Streamed on Facebook,” New York Times

Latest reaction to NZ mosque attacks,” BBC News

Alisa Williams is managing editor of SpectrumMagazine.org

Image: SpectrumMagazine.org

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/9486

Deepest condolences to those families and friends who suffered such a horrific fate. These senseless killings flow from minds infected with racial superiority and religious prejudice. Jesus calls us to love one another.

2 Likes

How God must weep over such ignorance and hate! Thoughts and prayers for all those affected in this senseless act of carnage. Perhaps some Light can shine in this darkness.

1 Like

I was a medic during WWll, One regiment of the 40th Infrantry lost in one battle all but 400 front line men. We had four operating room going 19 Hour out of 24. There was at least one other unit doing the same.Now they have guns that will kill three times as fast. Available to,all kinds of nut cases. If we can’t control people lest us control guns.

6 Likes

The Moravian Church published daily text (also known as watchwords, in German “Losungen”), going back to the time of Zinzendorf. They still cast lots for each day. Today’s text is Jeremiah 22:3.
“Act with justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor anyone who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the alien, the orphan, and the widow.”
https://www.moravian.org/daily_texts/

3 Likes

What light can shine in this darkness ?
I think GOD weeps over SDA ignorance and the message we have to save people instead go to philosophy.
Why do we believe to move out of cities ?
And ellen g white’s message in its entirety.
Why did GOD allow certain powers to severely punish Israel and then at times protect.
Some in SDA seem more OMEGA.
Nothing new under the SUN.
IRON and CLAY will never mix and get along. Its PROPHESY

Light can always shine. God isn’t waiting for the SDA’s to get everything right. Fortunately…

1 Like

“Available to all nut cases…” That’s right and you know how these nut cases get these guns? In 2014 the Obama administration sent to congress a gun control measure which included a written test. So I decided as a gun owner to take that written test. ( without study ). The hardest question out of 30 questions was, can you carry a loaded firearm in the glove box of your car? I literally said out load, you got to b kidding me. Guess who dumbs down the test? Democrates in congress because to have a cerebral test is unfair to certain groups of people.

Like others I grieve for the innocent victims in New Zealand and I support a public hanging in the town square at high noon tomorrow. But it is just misplaced energy in going after the GUN. Nut bags will always be able to get their hands on automatic weapons unless we stop worrying about hurting someone’s feelings and start saying no way are you buying a gun. In fact not only are you not getting a gun, but you will be assigned a mental health professional right now.

Be specific with light you refer to ?
You refer to light as some spiritual mysterious object ?
Can you put words or biblical text to it ?

" Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

Good enough for you? :wink:

1 Like

Sorry…but I doubt that it will be relevant to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We have a amazing message

May remind you

I doubt it will “remind” me of anything since I don’t intend to watch or read. Perhaps, you can “instruct” someone else about the “amazing message” (there is always that hope). :smiley:

2 Likes

Its sad you mock the SDA and a precious message of ellen g white and hope

@simon - Sorry, Simon, but I am puzzled by your contribution. How is Daniel 2 shedding light on the killings in New Zealand? Why is expressing condolences, longing for hope amids the tragedy “philosophy” and “omega”? As to your questions about “some spiritual mysterious object” I recommend you read John 1.

3 Likes

I am glad, some of your responses got deleted (by you or whoever). Nobody was mocking anybody here. Rather you bring all kinds of topics into this thread that have nothing to do with the topic under discussion.
Oh, and by the way - as to your question about the Moravians… They quote the Bible and let it speak for itself. I wish we would listen to the Bible once in a while.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Andreas read chapter 17
Christ object lessons. What was JESUS’S response to potious pilot soldiers entering the temple and cutting down the Galileans ?
You know the roman empire is not fully dissolved . IRON .
I am not passing judgement tho many in forum are and also going fare as proposing GODS reactions. I may be on wrong forum . I thought this was SDA

People around the world suffer so much for the “right” to own guns.

1 Like

If I am “mocking” anything or anybody it is how you are conducting yourself on this thread about violence and death. It isn’t appropriate in the slightest.

2 Likes

Did you read the chapter ? And amazing light our church has .
So when JESUS is giving people a warning (SDA 3 ANGEL’S MESSAGE) forthcoming violence and are you suggesting JESUS is inappropriate.

What other signs does this chapter give us.
Just late last week we had students around the world demonstrating about the environment.

Christ had been warning the people of the coming of the kingdom of God, and He had sharply rebuked their ignorance and indifference. The signs in the sky, which foretold the weather, they were quick to read; but the signs of the times, which so clearly pointed to His mission, were not discerned. COL 212.2

Turning to the multitude, the Saviour said, “Suppose ye that these Galileans were sinners above all the Galileans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay; but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” These startling calamities were designed to lead them to humble their hearts, and to repent of their sins. The storm of vengeance was gathering, which was soon to burst upon all who had not found a refuge in Christ. COL 213.2