Speaking Out Against Last Generation Theology

Character perfection with Christ doing the perfecting. Total reliance on Him to overcome what we can’t do ourselves… one sin at a time.

Last generation is the generation alive when Christ comes, not now. So your assertions to @kevindpaulson and the rest of us about are we perfect yet is a moot point as the last events prophecies in the Bible have yet to occur and Christ is still not on His way here. The remnant are still in the maturing stage.

Will you still be sinning after the declaration of Rev. 22:11 or do you join with Phil in thinking our freewill will vanish and we will be unable to sin?

(Tim Teichman) #326

Raptured, probably, per Jesus in Matthew 24:

“But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.

There you go. Be part of the Rapture! Don’t be left behind!

(Elmer Cupino) #327

You say removal of free will is a false doctrine yet the whole foundation of LGT stands on the fact that those who achieves God’s perfection would have no free will. God has no free will in the sense that everything He does is perfect (whether he liked it or not, if that were even possible).

Tim, don’t look now but I think Marshall Applewhite is calling you.

(Tim Teichman) #329

You want me to join your group?

I just quoted scripture. Jesus was very clear. Near the time of the second coming, some will be taken suddenly. Poof! Surprise! Rapture!

How do you come to that conclusion? Christian perfection is not the state of being a perfect automaton. It’s the state of Christ working through the Christian, overcoming sin in their life through his power. Free will gives him the power to work in our lives. What you’re saying is ridiculous.

Brother, I think you’ve already been raptured. From your comments, about Matthew, it is abundantly clear that you have no understanding of Scripture whatsoever.

(Claude Lombart) #332

Since LGT appears to be such an enormous biblical and SOP teaching to some Adventists which of the 28 Fundamentals is LGT?

(Cfowler) #333

Would you bullet point in your own words what you believe LGT to be?

Thanks.

Darrell put up thoughts on it, but if you could put your thoughts on here, that would help me know exactly what you believe.

That is my plan, but first I want to see how you all interpret it without my input. I have seen many call it heresy, but none have told me their rationale other than they think it is self-made perfection (which is not part of LGT). Darrell copied and pasted Wikipedia. I can do that myself. I am truly interested in why so many make accusations about LGT without knowing even basic tenets of LGT.

(Claude Lombart) #335

Why is it that only LG Adventists are held to the level or superior spirituality of sinlessness that not other generation of believers has. How reasonable and fair is that? Not even Paul or EGW claimed to have been sinless. The only person who ever claimed sinlessness was Jesus. Isn’t it spiritual arrogance and presumption for Adventists to hold God to ransom by now allowing Jesus to come back because of their sinfulness. Why should they prolong the world’s suffering?

(Kevin Paulson) #336

Try No. 13: “. . . in the last days, a time of widespread apostasy, a remnant has been called out to keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.”

And unless this commandment-keeping is perfect through God’s imparted strength, it cannot pass the test of God’s judgment, for “whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. . . . So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty” (James 2:10,12).o

(Elmer Cupino) #337

Simple. Do you believe God has a conscience? What would the origin of his conscience be? Another God?

What is ridiculous about this?

Philosophy, huh?

I think I will do as did Paul when confronted with such with the Greeks and will not get into that. If you have gotten God into the psychologist chair, you have stepped out of bounds.

(Kevin Paulson) #339

You’ve asked a good question. Why indeed should our lack of total surrender to the divine will continue to prolong the world’s suffering? It is time we laid it all on the Lord’s altar and brought the world’s agony at last to an end.

Regarding God’s requirements for succeeding generations, the Bible is clear that different levels of Spirit-empowered attainment are necessary for those receiving different levels of light and truth. The Bible says that God winks of the times of our ignorance (Acts 17:30), and declares that “to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin” (James 4:17). The Bible also states that “the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day” (Prov. 4:18). On this basis Jesus taught that “for unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required” (Luke 12:48).

I have said this before many times in these discussions, and I will continue to say it. God could use a beer-drinking anti-Semite like Martin Luther to launch the Protestant Reformation, but in contemporary Adventism one with his views and practices wouldn’t be welcome at any gathering I can think of, however conservative or liberal. All of us, I am certain, would agree that Martin Luther’s ideas and conduct are not an acceptable standard for Seventh-day Adventist Christians today.

The reason God gave to the Seventh-day Adventist Church all the light and insight regarding holy living found in the writings of the Spirit of Prophecy, is because in this antitypical Day of Atonement in progress since 1844, is because the final generation of Christians is to reach a level of consecration and faithfulness not seen before on such a scale. What is more, with evil in the world at unprecedented levels, the sanctification of God’s people must likewise reach unprecedented levels for the purpose of resisting this evil and offering a totally pure and Christ-focused contrast.

And once again, claiming sinlessness is not the issue. Unlike Jesus, no fallen mortal knows his or her own heart (I Kings 8:39); thus it is impossible even for those who attain sinless obedience to know when and if this has happened. The example of Job tells us how one can in fact be declared sinless in conduct (Job 1:1,8,22; 2:10) while refusing to make such a claim himself (Job 9:20-21). For the last generation, only when the voice of God finally turns their captivity and declares, “‘They come! they come! holy, harmless, and undefiled’” (GC 636) will the saints know at last that their victory is complete.

(Elmer Cupino) #340

Why would you preach a gospel without knowing its characteristics? Disneyland gospel?

(Elmer Cupino) #341

You have got the essence of this concept. EGW had a mental image of a spiritual belief that cannot and should not be taken literally. Ours is a spiritual journey where google maps would only prove useless. The same can be said of mental gymnastics to justify LGT.

Doc, would you care to take the survey that your esteemed retired colleague refused to take regarding LGT?

(Elmer Cupino) #343

Yes.

Get me the survey.

It is post #295 above. Very simple.