Speaking Out Against Last Generation Theology

(reliquum) #407

I sense that had Adam figured this out and instead of practicing his sartorial skills or his defense lawyer oratorical gaffes, and had simply gone to daddy with his knotted up knickers this all would have ended far differently. Might have saved another son under another tree a very dark night.

(Tim Teichman) #408

Yes, always a gem. Rather like the Central California Conference which makes their teachers pay tithe, to them and no other conference, or lose their jobs. It’s no longer giving at that point and just a tax paid back to your employer (which should be illegal, but it technically isn’t as the church has classified the teachers as clergy with the state.)

(Steve Mga) #409

Tim –
Perhaps the Teachers are paying DUES to the Central California Conference Teacher’s Union.
NOT TITHE.

(Steve Mga) #410

In Jesus prayer – John 17 – He says, "Sanctify them through Thy Truth."
That is King James.
Other translations use the words, "Make them HOLY through Your Truth."
Is Jesus talking PERFECTION, or is Jesus saying something else??

QUESTION – Can an “Imperfect” object be “made holy”?
And, what is the PROCESS or RITUAL for making something “Holy”?

If I shared my conclusions & taught you, then I wouldn’t be able to continue to be “superior” & “spiritually arrogant”.

(Allen Shepherd) #413

I think this is insightful, but misses her thrust. She was always merciful and understanding of human weakness. But to take that as the core of her thinking misses her high view of what we could be.

I was reading for devotions this AM, EGW’s comments on the Beatitude: “Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.”

Her comment was:

“Not by painful struggles or wearisome toil, not by gift or sacrifice, is righteousness obtained; but it is freely given to every soul who hungers and thirsts to receive it. “Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat, . . . without money and without price.” “Their righteousness is of Me, saith the Lord,” and, “This is His name whereby He shall be called, The Lord Our Righteousness.” Isaiah 55:1; 54:17; Jeremiah 23:6.”

I was delight by her encouragement. If righteousness is a gift as she seems to say, then the only impediment would be our reluctance or unwillingness to receive it.

So, if we are willing to receive it, then we could be perfect even at this instant. Now we often are imperfect, but it seems that our problem might be looking to much to ourselves rather than to our benefactor.

George,

As you claim to be involved in behavioral science, when are you going to realize that your defeatist persuasion causes just as much depression among Adventists as those who warp the LGT persuasion?

“Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.” 1 JN 3:7 .
.SDA defeatist response… ahhh your righteousness is as FILTHY RAGS, You’re still just a pathetic poor blind naked lukewarm Laodicean

“That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” Rom 8:4
SDA response —ahh your righteousness is still just FILTHY RAGS

“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;” 1 Pet 4:1
------Ahhh your righteousness is just arrogant FILTHY RAGS

“Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy”

Ahh …you are in delusion about your squeeky clean nature…Your righteousness is as FILTHY RAGS!

So wonderfully encouraging and generates so much hope!!! HUH???

Covering it with a divine covering.

That is forensic theological fiction.
Hint:“The emperor has no clothes.”

Romans 8:7 churchians detest the words “perfection” & “sinless”

(reliquum) #418
  1. Denies known fact, not so artful ad hominem
  2. Egregious opinion and bald faced ad hominem
  3. Pure bovine scat
  4. Purely the opinion of the person who just did 1 to 3, above.

Doesn’t it just make you all warm and fuzzy inside, and create a desire to be such a ray of sunshine? BTW, where does this anonymous poster worship, so that I mayest avoid having to dust off my birkenstocks should I have the dreadful misfortune and accidentally enter his holy sepulchre/church?

Rom 2:1…

(Tim Teichman) #420

Well, if so, their union isn’t doing squat for them. LOL. No, its definitely tithe.

(Allen Shepherd) #421

Isn’t it a bit ironic that a discussion of righteousness could result in such opprobrium and vituperation?

(Tim Teichman) #422

That doesn’t seem right. I think you can do both.

Allen ,

Please review Gal 2:13 & 14, Matt 5:19 & chapter 23

(Brad(Luna)) #424

Ooh this topic again! It’s interesting as it’s essentially just Pelagianism(the belief humanity was not affected by original sin) wrapped up in an Adventist eschatological blanket. Of course, Augustine went too far the other way when responding to Pelagianism(by basically creating the foundation for Calvinism 1,000 years later).

It’s an old heresy with a slightly new blanket, but it will never really take off, as anyone can tell you trying to be perfect is a recipe for distress and depression.

(Allen Shepherd) #425

Hmmm.

I have read those many times. But you folks seem to be throwing anathemas at each other like the Pope and the Patriarch at Constantinople in the 11th century. And it is important to make sure you are not the one with the plank, or the one doing the persecuting.

I actually think we can be perfect. But it is not by effort, but by gift, lest any man should boast. I really liked the EGW insight to the Beatitude I mentioned above. A beautiful commentary in MB.

(George Tichy) #426

In the hope that I will get more calls for appointments to treat the depressed people… Good for business… LOL :innocent:

(George Tichy) #427

Well, at least they are not doing it from the pulpit… :roll_eyes: