Spirit of Prophecy Writings Coordinator Position Harms Adventism

The current picture is freakishly cultish.

8 Likes

Speaking as a Christian who is already experiencing doubts about the SDA church, this article makes disturbing reading. My nearest SDA church is 10 miles away, but I have a lovely Anglican church 5 minutes away, where I sometimes worship. I always feel blessed and spiritually refreshed here, whereas my SDA church leaves me feeling irritated by some of the people allowed to preach, music I don’t like and a general disturbance of people going in and out during the service. We in England have a heritage of beautiful music and prose that has come down through the ages through the Anglican church, and I’m sad to say I feel more and more that this is the church for me - sad because I’ve been a member of the SDA church since the age of 14 (I’m now 84). There is a peace and reverence in the Anglican church that I simply don’t find in my church. I’m in a real quandary at the moment and wish someone could help me. I will always keep the 7th day Sabbath though.

8 Likes

My dear sister, blessings! Just to let you know - while in St. Louis I visited Christ Church Cathedral (Episcopal). The quiet dignity of the service as well as the relevant message of the Very Reverend Kathie Adams Shepherd (I still can’t get over that name) was spiritually refreshing beyond anything the whole week in the Dome of St. Louis offered. Yes, we need to be spiritually nourished. “I will go” may get a new … meaningful … twist here.

6 Likes

“However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands.” Acts 7:48

“The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is the Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.” Acts 17:24.

Blessings.

5 Likes

Don’t be like Steve Daily who cooked up false sources to support his arguments against EGW. Prove it with facts. Mr Daily does not believe in the Flood and other Biblical truths and he had the audacity to claim that EGW is a liar. But then that is how prophets are treated. Jeremiah was also accused of lying and thrown into a dungeon.

Thank you for this article, Carmen. It seems like more and more people are seeing through the manipulation at the head of the church.

1 Like

I am sure Anglicans preach sermons that are popular and so most people are very comfortable hearing what their itching ears want to hear and not those things thatlllllmake them uncomfortable.

How did you become sure of that?

In my experience, Anglican services don’t have sermons at all. Instead, they have short homilies on the subject of and following the reading of a biblical text. It’s quite refreshing, actually.

4 Likes

They miss the point then if that is what they do. The great commission is clear. Jesus expects us to share His word

You didn’t answer the question. How did you become sure that Anglicans preach sermons that are popular so most people are comfortable? I suspect you didn’t answer because you won’t have an answer and you’re just blowing smoke, but I thought I’d offer you another opportunity to answer.

Your position is that reading from the bible in church followed by a homily about that is missing the point? How is that missing the point?

How is this comment related to my description of the Anglican services I’ve attended? I don’t think it is. You appear to be deflecting instead of supporting your previous statements when asked about them.

2 Likes

I commend your faith, I can sense its coming from sincere want to honor God, I was once in your shoes and defended it with all my might. My 28cents, dont trust any human being with regards to your faith Rom 3:23. we have all fallen including EGW. When people quote her all the time when they speak, its shows what their heart is full of and who they trust. I can sense that from PresTW, the thing that bothers me most about him is how much he lifts up EGW, the place she sits belongs to God, it is Christ’s name we should make known. It shows who is teaching and guiding him. It is mezmerizing to read EGWs books, its full of extras , it gives a lot of fantastic stuff even the scripture didnt reveal. Without a diligent study of the Word of God we wont see the error. For example:
Bible says : " But about the day or hour no one knows"…Matt 24:36 " It is not for you to know…" Acts 1:7

EGW: “As God has shown me in the holy vision…we heard the voice of God like many waters which gave us the day and hour of Jesus coming.” Word to the Little Flock - To the Remnant Scattered Abroad (WLF 14.2)

2 Likes

You have added reading the Bible. If we go back to where I started, I also did not get any responses to questions that I asked. It’s refreshing from your point of view to attend church services where they don’t go deep into the bible but say nice things that give you a spiritual high but don’t do any thing for your salvation

After reading your quote on EGW, I immediately went to my downloaded EGW’s writings because I know that somewhere in her writings she states that there shall no more be time prophesies; the last one is the 1260 days. She was very concerned about time setting and spoke against it citing that that would turn away souls from Christ. So I read the whole thing. You took her words out of context. There is nowhere in her writings where she shares the date and time. Sorry, to say but I think you are not being objective. Jesus lamented the killing of prophets including Himself at the end of his ministry when he stated to the Jews: “your house is left desolate”. So it’s not surprising that she has fears critics.

I disagree with you, pls read both of the paragraphs, it puts it more into context. Notice her fantastical claims:
“As God has shown me in holy vision…”
" … a short sketch of what God has revealed to me."
“While praying at the family altar, the Holy Ghost fell on me…”

then later further down :

" until we heard the voice of God like many waters, which GAVE us the day and hour of Jesus’ coming."

It is as you read it, her claims. A direct contradiction to what Jesus said.

3 Likes

I can assure you, the messages you hear in some Anglican churches would make you quite uncomfortable … if that is, what you are looking for.
My goal in preaching is to feed the flock, to nourish, and yes help them grow spiritually. You seem to have a different understanding…
About the “itching ears” … I love that argument … because thousands of itching ears heard what they wanted to hear last Sabbath in St. Louis: Well known, but hollow phrases with some apocalyptic warning scenario … which once again underlined: it’s all about us…

9 Likes

I did not. It was in my original description of the services I’ve attended.

You have no basis on which to make such a statement. You cannot know whether the pastor went “deep into the bible” or “said nice things”, if I received a “spiritual high” (whatever that is), or that the service didn’t do anything “for my salvation”.

You have no way of knowing how a service that you did not attend impacted my salvation. Even if you had attended it, you would still not know. That is something only I can know.

Attitudes like yours and the proclamations like the ones you make appear to come from a deep arrogance that - in my experience - is somewhat common in the Adventist church. The belief that “we have the truth” morphs into “and everyone else is wrong and, therefore, they must be distrusted”.

And then that morphs into anti-catholic fear mongering and even antisemitism. Both of which are uninformed and ironic positions to hold for a Protestant christian, given that the basic definition of a Protestant is a Catholic that protests specific Roman Catholic teachings while accepting the rest, and because being an anti-Semite is to rail against almost every author of the books of the bible and against Jesus himself - all of them Jews.

It is exactly contrary to what Jesus taught:

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Notice the lack of castigating other Christian churches because you think they are wrong.

5 Likes

Chipwendu, I find that Steve dailys book simply is cheap in language. And there are quite a number of professional inaccurancies - so the mentioning of schizophrenia - - but did not he have some degrees in “Higher Adventist Education”, dealing with the very matter ?

But plase give him a review of sound arguments to refute his claims - and not the way you argue with “false sources” -ok, name ánd quote them !! And what anargument ! “He does not beleive in Flood !!!” ( “trwo times two is four, even wehn a schizophrenic says it !!”) - - Your polemic posting is is simply also the more cheap -

But is not Steve Daily a product of “Higher Adventist Education” in all ? - Just like the “Proclamation” enterprise ??? And what education did you have ???

2 Likes

I read enough of Steve Daily’s book to recognize it as a hatchet job by a disgruntled ex. (I read a good portion and tried to keep reading, but there was nothing really new in it since D.M. Canright except the attempt to cast everything as a “psychobiography.” Thus it was pointless to keep reading.)

Sorry, but it’s not persuasive to those who are actually familiar with the writings of Ellen White and her life.

You can probably find a longer list of “well documented facts” about the errors of the Bible.

Perhaps Steve was reacting to the many who weaponize the writings of Ellen White, who are her worst enemies.

P.S. I thoroughly agree with the title of this article, “Spirit of Prophecy Writings Coordinator Position Harms Adventism.” Ellen would too!

4 Likes

At this point, you’re assuming what Anglican sermons are like and you never heard one. And, you’re assuming what’s going on in Tim’s mind, and you have no idea. This is close to bearing false witness about people.

Additionally, one of the greatest theologians of our time is Anglican…N.T. Wright. His theological depth is far beyond most of what I’ve encountered within Adventism. The challenge of what he presents from the gospel also far exceeds Adventist harping on the sabbath and dietary rules and regulations.

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Quit while you’re ahead… although you really aren’t.

Frank

4 Likes

She was endorsing date setting early in her life, and claimed to be shown by God. She said God showed her this in holy vision. Her words! What don’t you get here? She only left this off later.

She also endorsed the shut door teaching by “vision” for seven years. She then later claimed she was refuting it. Prophets don’t continue to have mistaken visions. Either God is wrong, or she was.

The truth gets very slippery in the hands of EGW and Adventism.

Frank

6 Likes