The Acts of the Disciples

(Cfowler) #41

Not to be super negative, but I think the Spirit of Prophecy trumps the Holy Spirit everytime.

(jeremy) #42

for those of us who believe in egw, there isn’t a distinction between her and the holy spirit…if something contradicts egw, we know it isn’t from the holy spirit…

(Cfowler) #43

Of course…:slightly_smiling_face:

(jeremy) #44

this really is what saying egw is a prophet amounts to…millions of adventists would turn their backs on the church if it dilutes egw’s inspiration even one iota… she’s the people’s prophet now - totally out of of the hands of the church, or the white estate…

(James Peterson) #45

John 20:30-31, “And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

It is self-evident and incontrovertible that salvation, eternal life is dependent on believing that JESUS is the Christ, the Son of God; for those who hear the gospel. Such good news sprang into being a millennium and more, long … long ages … before 1863.

So there is something odd about “turning their backs on the church …” Something is truly amiss there. Who removed the Cornerstone? Who changed the Everlasting Covenant?

///

(Patrick Travis) #46

What strange outcomes SDA’s have created. Bear witness of your fruit.

(George Tichy) #47

Autch… And it’s said with straight face I presume… :thinking::sunglasses::sunglasses:

(George Tichy) #48

Jeremy, I am disappointed at you now. Why are you drinking so much, and why are you writing posts here while you are completely drunk?.. LOL :roll_eyes:

(Patrick Travis) #49

The sad thing Jeremy is that the iconic building her up over the years is really why there is a problem and SDA’s are felt to have cultic practices like LDS.

(Cfowler) #50

I’ve never doubted your belief in EGW as a Prophet. Never.

(Steve Mga) #51

George – It is the White Estates which DECIDES

1. What of her writings they WILL ALLOW the “Church” to read.
  2. What the FORMAT of her writings they will put “snippets” of her writings
    out for publication.
  3. A Double Edged sword. 1. Helpful for instruction on subjects. 2. GUIDE
    persons to rest on those statements, without the Need to further study.
    Ellen said it, I believe it, and that settles it for me.
    A “means” of Control instead of Growing from there in understanding.

(George Tichy) #52

Steve, this is indeed a tragic situation:

Re:

1. Didn’t the White Estate promise to release ALL of her writings no later than at the time of the SA/2015 Conference? I thought they did. Actually, someone on Spectrum at that time said very adamantly that it would be happening. But now I am suspicious, I wonder if that actually happened. I am sure pastors should know, maybe @ajshep could confirm this info for us? (Any other pastors around here???)
  2. I can’t believe (well…, I guess “yes we can”…) that the “boox truth” is being manipulated in such a subtle way. I am glad those guys are not in charge of publishing the Bible… That would be another tragedy!!!
  3. It sounds like a “perfect guide on brainwashing,” uh?

I will stick to my approach, “Sola Scriptura!” That can never go wrong! :triumph::triumph::triumph:

(Cfowler) #53

How would anyone know if all the writings were released. If you don’t know for sure what all of the writings actually are, it would only be their word. Which. I for ,don’t put any stock in…but, that’s just me.

(George Tichy) #54

I personally do not believe they have released everything. For so many years the access to part of her writings has been completely prohibited/denied. Why? What was the content of those writings? If they released them, why didn’t the explain the reason why they were so secret before.

Knowing the system :upside_down_face: …, I guess we already know the reality of the facts, right??? :roll_eyes:

(Cfowler) #55

Makes you wonder what may have been destroyed. :thinking: :smirk: :slightly_smiling_face:

(Patrick Travis) #56

What I noticed over the years is that when there is a “problem” not fully explained by printed materials magically one is presented from the archives to solve the problem. So, likely some will always “be kept back” for emergencies.

(William Noel) #57

How could that be true when the Holy Spirit was the source of her inspiration?

Do you believe what the Bible plainly declares? It says that God cannot lie and the Holy Spirit will lead believers into all truth. The Holy Spirit IS God and our connection to Jesus but a prophet is a fallible human who makes mistakes. Perhaps do you feel that way because of having met people claimed to be guided by the Holy Spirit when there was no confirming evidence of God’s power accompanying their words or actions? I’ve seen plenty of examples of that so I can understand why you might have doubts.

The counsel in scripture is for us to test the spirits, prove everything and hold fast to what is true. Jesus told us to follow the Holy Spirit, who would speak for Him after his return to Heaven. I have tested the Holy Spirit and always found Him absolutely trustworthy. Having nurtured that connection, I have learned to depend on him for the intimate and specific guidance I need without having to search Ellen White’s writings. Since the Holy Spirit is our immediate and direct connection to God, why would I want to search writings that were given for a time more than a century ago and written about situations different from today’s society?

The promise in scripture is that the Holy Spirit will guide all believers. Do you believe God’s promises enough to trust Him and follow His commands to us to believe in the Holy Spirit?

(Cfowler) #58

I think that you may have misunderstood the intent of my comment. I wasn’t saying that the SOP should trump the HS, but that it usually does in the SDA church. It’s always, what does EGW have to say.

But, yes…I do believe in the promise of the HS in our lives to lead, guide and change our hearts and desires. :slightly_smiling_face:

(William Noel) #59

I really appreciate that clarification. It looks like your opinion and mine are very close. It is unfortunate that so many in the church put Ellen White’s writings first because by doing that they are missing a far greater blessing that they could be enjoying.