The Adult Sabbath School Lesson: Promotion of a Reckless God?

Thanks Frank, you’re correct, it being inspired doesn’t hinge on it being literal. There are non-literal stories in the Bible that are inspired. But that’s not the authors position. He states

No where is it even implied that God inspired the allegory. He uses terms like “artist” and “flare for dramatic” and refers to “his” contribution and “his god” “his creation”…all this is pretty clear that the author believes Job is the creation of an artist who presents his idea of God and his attempt at explaining why the exiles where suffering.

I agree that we can’t fully know why suffering exists, and the quarterly May try and explain too much, and yes Job’s purpose is to let us know we don’t have answers for everything. But the rest of scripture does support many of the points the quarterly makes. And looking at scripture as a whole I think most ideas in quarterly are well supported.

But if the author can just relegate one of the most important stories on the crucible to an artist with a flare for the dramatic inventing his own idea of god, then he misses the point of Job and anyone can just do the same to any part of scripture then don’t understand or agree with. Blessings

2 Likes

This is one of the traditional explanations, but if we are worshiping a “god” whom we cannot see nor understand, and whose actions make no sense, who has no interest in explaining himself to such lowly creatures, who plays games with “satan” (with humanity suffering the consequences of such games), how do we know we are worshiping “god” and not someone or something else?

2 Likes

If the book of Job was all we had to go on regarding suffering, theodicy, and question of divine faithfulness and trustworthiness, I think I would have walked away a long time ago. It’s why seeing God in Jesus regarding this and so much else is necessary for any type of viable faith…at least for me.

Frank

4 Likes

When you endorse the fiction called the book of Job, you’re certainly judging Him–better stated as condemning Him.

The book of Job doesn’t claim that God inspired that book. Or any other book. That’s a human claim. (Just think of all the theological errors caused by believing that God wrote the Bible).

3 Likes

It seems if one says “I believe in a god whose existence is essentially mysterious, who inspires books that create confusion or conflict, who lives in a dimension that is utterly inaccessible, whose intervention in human suffering is unpredictable at best or nonexistent in the vast majority of cases and who claims his intellect is beyond the comprehension of any human mind,” one has either effectively said nothing at all or has described the most hideous villain in the cosmos.

:rofl:

2 Likes

That’s an impressive sentence (and not only its length). It makes sense to me that there wouldn’t be suffering and tragedy if God’s power were as infinite as His love. Maybe we should feel sympathy for Him rather than anger when every one of us turns out so far from perfect. I think He must feel at every birth the way we feel when we listen to Elvis sing “In the Ghetto”.

1 Like

Hello, I think each story in the Bible is designed to emphasize different aspects of God’s character and His dealing with us and we must take them as a whole, not just the ones that make sense to us.

For example, if we only had the story of the 3 Hebrew youths we would think God always saves His children. However, if we only had the story of John the Baptist we may wonder what kind of God would allow someone who dedicated his whole life to preaching to languish in prison & be beheaded.

Job is meant to let us know that we may not get answers to our questions about suffering here, but we can trust God has a reason. And the Bible as a whole should put to rest any notion of an uncaring God. The cross answers all questions about Who God is and what He’s like.

Lastly, your argument is akin to those who say “if God is good, why do bad things happen”? If God is all powerful then He could stop every child abuse, every cancer diagnosis, every rape, etc. but He doesn’t. How do we reconcile those two ideas? Job at least gives us some glimpse, though we may not know why here and now, the man who suffered so much, lost all his kids, was living a nightmare, etc. once he got a single glimpse of God, said in essence “I was wrong to ever question You! I got no questions, I trust You!”

And that’s why we can’t just discard the portions of the Bible that we don’t get, we need it all. How do you know the portions you agree with are the “accurate” portrait of God? If we just pick and choose the portions the “accurately” reflect God, then we’re just creating God after the image we want. And once we go down that road, God will be no better then man.

Blessings

Hello, I don’t know any Bible student who thinks God “wrote” the Bible. Of course men put ink to parchment, but the ideas are inspired by God, that’s the claim the Bible makes. Not sure how the Bible would “claim” to be inspired by God in a way that would satisfy you…since anything that’s written down to that effect would obviously be written by a human, so how could you prove God inspired it?

And if you believe the Bible is 100% written and conceived by man, then toss it all. It’s worthless in bringing us to God if He didn’t inspire it.

We not only can discard potions of the Bible, and not take every bit it as being inspired by god, we must do so in order to make sense of it.

The creation account in the first chapter of Genesis doesn’t agree with the version in Chapter Two. Solomon’s “wisdom” is contradictory, sometimes in the very next line. The time lines of the crucifixion as found in the four gospels are in disagreement, even in regards to the day on which Jesus died. Judas cannot have both hung himself and then fallen off a cliff, etc., etc., etc.

And yes, in the process of editing, men create their own gods which means that none of those gods can be any more omnipotent or capable of solving all the world’s problems than any man is, or could possibly be.

If you bake a cake, do you throw out both layers if the bumps on one don’t precisely match the other?

If you had twins and one of them was accidentally cut would you intentionally cut the other so that they would have matching scars?

Is a Mercedes with a vinyl seats not a Mercedes because in your binary world Mercedes cars can only have leather?

Hopefully you get the point that inspiration does not imply perfection any more than dreams accurately replicate what happens in “real life”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.