The Attraction of Self-Deception

(George Tichy) #62

“There is no black America, there is no white America, there is the United States of America!” - Barack Obama

There is no Adventist doctrine, there is no Baptist et al doctrine, there is Biblical doctrine!

(Elaine Nelson) #64

Most of us also respect Tom, a man of courage.

(Elaine Nelson) #65

George, there is only the Bible. Men make up doctrines as they interpret the Bible, which is why there are so many doctrines. Given sufficient time, there will be many more, perhaps after we’ve left.

(Cfowler) #66

Elmer,

I don’t disagree that all churches have issues and problems to some extent or another, they are comprised of imperfect people, so that’s a given.

But Adventism has EGW and all the nonsense (IMO) that flows from that. So much could be said about the problems that the SOP has caused people, spiritually, emotionally, physically and professionally. It permeates everything, and not in a good way, at least that is how I see it. I wasn’t raised in it, so after joining and being in this for almost 3 decades, I don’t think it is the best option for a Christian. I think there are much healthier options. Although, I’m sure there are worse options too.

(Tim Teichman) #67

If asked today I’d have trouble with this one. Baptism shouldn’t be into a specific church/denomination, but into The Church.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #68

in preparing a Bible study at Brandon Wilde, I have reread William Lanes commentary on the letter to the Hebrews. it is a must read for anyone interested in finding clarity of Christ’s role in the Heavenly Sanctuary. rather than a fear of judgment we are invited to come boldly to the throne of Grace.

one must read Hebrews to make any sense out of Revelation. Adventism and its first cousin Disoensationalism are built upon fear, which we now see as having a grip on political debate that is frighting indeed. Tom Z

Greetings Elaine: Have you ever attended church with Seventh Day Baptists or looked at their 10 Beliefs listed at seventhdaybaptist.org ? I am glad that I researched, started attending and then joined them. There is great freedom and joy in accepting that “Jesus Christ, in His life and teachings as recorded in the Bible, is the supreme interpreter of God’s will for mankind”. No more “He said, she said”… No more trying to serve two masters. Best wishes always, Connard Grant Rasmussen Jr., BA, PUC '68.

(George Tichy) #70

Hi Grant, Elaine has not participated with us for a while now. Her health condition, especially macula degeneration, makes it extremely difficult for her. So she just quit.

I was with the Seventh Day Baptists here in Riverside (CA) for 4 years (1990-1993). Great people, healthy theology, no burden imposed by the influence of any prophet, etc. Actually, last Saturday I visited the Church again, and met several old friends, including Gabriel Bejjani, the pastor (for over 30 years), who actually baptized two of my 3 children. I live 10 minutes from the Church.

(Website Editor) closed #71