The Disability of the Bible

"Zacchaeus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he." I remember, as many Christians do, regularly singing these lines when I too was a wee little man. Though, of course, the reality of my wee-ness is fundamentally different from Zacchaeus’s. I grew to become 6 foot 4—maybe a little too tall for England—but physical growth was not part of Zacchaeus’s fate.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11672
2 Likes

Now let’s tackle cognitive and intellectual weakness. Christ spoke of spiritual issues that baffled the educated, and yet, he told us to be as little children to access the Spirit.

If we are focused on character perfection brought about by sheer willpower, we are leaving out 99% of us, if that’s even possible at all. The kind of arrogance that demands perfection is a stumbling block to the Gospel which depends on more than a semblance of humility. Here again, weakness becomes our strength under the Gospel.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.