The Good Lord Had A Different Plan for Ben Carson

(system) #1

YORBA LINDA - Retired Seventh-day Adventist neurosurgeon prospective Republican White House candidate Dr. Benjamin Carson practiced what may become his campaign stump speech in front of a supportive crowd at the Nixon Presidential Library on Sunday. While Dr. Carson made no mention of his faith tradition, he sprinkled his prepared comments with references to God. The event was part of Carson's One Nation book tour.

"Interestingly enough, when I retired last year, I thought that life was going to be peaceful," Carson began, to appreciative laughter. "But the Good Lord had a different plan for me," he said. The crowd cheered loudly.

Speaking to a large crowd in the Nixon Library ballroom, Carson said that the Affordable Care Act caught his attention, "Because," he asked "what is one of the most important things that a person has?" "Their health!" the crowd responded.

Carson said that unbeknownst to many, Richard Nixon "had a wonderful health care program that he wrote extensively about," adding that "before Ted Kennedy died, he said one of his big regrets was not supporting that program." Carson said that the last thing individuals should do is "put your health care in the hands of some faceless bureaucrat, who really, in many cases doesn't even care about you."

Carson offered his own proposal for providing Americans with health care--a health savings account for each American, "even the most indigent people in our society" that can be funded "in a number of ways." Carson did not elaborate on what those ways would be. But because individuals would manage their accounts rather than a governmental agency, Carson said his health savings accounts would be free from "bureaucratic overload." Carson depicted his proposal as a free-market model that would be available across state lines, and would get rid of the "two-tiered system" responsible for disparities in care. "We wanna put the constitution back on the top shelf," Carson said in an appeal to those who believe President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act is unconsitutional. The line drew more loud cheers.

"The vast majority of Americans acutally have common sense," Carson said. "The problem is that they've been beaten into submission between the PC Police and the Mainstream Media."

Carson tackled the question of America's national religion: "The President of the United States has said that this is not a Judeo-Christian nation," Carson said. "But he doesn't get to decide that." More applause. "We get to decide what our values are," Carson told the crowd.

Carson called on his listeners to help turn out the vote. "People can only exercise their power when they are well-informed. Our government is supposed to conform to the will of the people, and not the other way around," Carson said, and the crowd cheered.

Referencing the words of Thomas Jefferson, Carson said that when things get bad, people will go to sleep. But when things get really bad, he said, people will wake up. "Well guess what. It's time to wake up," Carson said. The crowd roared its approval. "God gave us brains so that we could think for ourselves," Carson said. "Amen!" said crowd members amid cheers.

After speaking for about ten minutes, Carson took two questions from the audience. The first came from a ten-year old boy who asked Carson, "What can I do to become a brain surgeon and lead the country like you're going to?"

"The real key is education," Carson said in response to the boy's question. Noting his upbringing in poverty, Carson said that he hated poverty. "I was sure there was some mistake, and I was born into the wrong family," he said. Carson said that what he had as a child was of prime importance to him: "A mother that would not be a victim." His mother made him read books, Carson said, and he hated it. But in the process of reading books about accomplished individuals, Carson says that he learned the person most responsible for one's happiness "is you!"

After taking one more question, Carson exited the ballroom to a backdrop set up in an adjacent museum, where he posed for photographs and signed free copies of his One Nation book. If Carson does make a bid for the White House in 2016, and all indicators point to this likelihood, his views on God, education and health care will enter the national political discourse. Time will tell what other plans the Good Lord has for Ben Carson.

Jared Wright is Spectrum's managing editor.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6348

(Thomas J Zwemer) #2

he know the domestic issue relating to personal health and ecology, but has no world view or even a concrete solution to the issues he raises. his program is right up there with the finger painting on the rear of a dusty SUV–Wash Me! Tom Z

(Trudy Morgan Cole) #3

I would love to see Ben Carson questioned about how his believe that America is a “Judeo-Christian nation” (whatever that may mean) squares with the traditional Adventist belief in the separation of church and state.

(le vieux) #4

I guess the folks here are tired of beating on Ted Wilson for the time being, so now it will be “dog pile on Ben Carson” for awhile.

As I’ve said before, I like what he has to say, but I don’t think it would be wise to run for president. However, He is no less prepared for running for president than was that smooth talking “community organizer” from Chicago, who managed to hoodwink enough of the electorate to get in office. He has proved what seems to be a good rule of thumb: governors and vice-presidents are better prepared to be president then are senators, especially one term senators. At least JFK (the last senator who became president) had been in Congress for 13 years before running for president (6 years as a Representative, and nearly 8 years as a Senator). Even the peanut farmer had been a governor before becoming president.

(Sirje) #5

…and Obama does?

Obama got his world view at the feet of Jeremiah Wright. See how that worked out.

What does a community organizer do?

(Denny) #6

Why does this remind me of car crash tv?

(Denny) #7

It would be highly ironic if an Adventist member as President lurched the USA to the far right and opened the door for all the bad prophetic things we preach in our church…Now did EGW predict this?

(George Tichy) #8

May be this is the unrevealed secret that is in those writings that the White Estate keeps under seven keys in their vault, and that nobody ever had access to. May be EGW’s family read that an Adventist would become the US Prez and they thougth, "This one is too much Grandma,’ and kept it veiled “just in case.”

Well, what if the prophecy fulfills? Than they can increase the number of boox and profit still more because it will be “recommended by the President.”

I would love Carson to run! I can’t wait for a debate with Hillary…

If he becomes Prez I think one unhappy person will be Pope Francis, because then he will be frustrated for not being able to fulfil the prophecy…
@elmer_cupino

(Rohan Charlton) #9

[quote="l…Now did EGW predict this?
[/quote]

Ask Jeremy @vandieman.

He will definitely know.

(Kevin Paulson) #10

This makes me very sad, as a Seventh-day Adventist as well as an American who treasures the Constitution. President Obama’s statement that “this is not a Judeo-Christian nation” is based on the very wording of America’s founding document, which perhaps Ben Carson and a good many of his devout followers have forgotten:

"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."
Article VI, Clause 3, United States Constitution

The separation of church and state is a sacred principle for Seventh-day Adventists, and not only because of the Constitution or our peculiar faith tradition. This principle originated with Christ Himself, when He declared that His kingdom was “not of this world” (John 18:36). It helps to keep in mind that Pontius Pilate, to whom this statement was made, was only concerned about whether Jesus’ agenda was of a secular political nature. Theological disagreements between our Lord and the Jewish leaders would have been of no interest to a Roman governor. Jesus obviously explained the nature of His kingdom to Pilate’s satisfaction, else the governor wouldn’t have shortly gone to the mob outside and declared “I find in Him no fault at all” (verse 38).

The following Ellen White statements likewise affirm this principle. See if her description of the religio-political goals of certain Christians doesn’t sound like the agenda of the American Religious Right of our day:

“But today in the religious world there are multitudes who, as they believe, are working for the establishment of the kingdom of Christ as an earthly and temporal dominion. They desire to make our Lord the ruler of the kingdoms of this world, the ruler in its courts and camps, its legislative halls, its palaces and market places. They expect Him to rule through legal enactments, enforced by human authority. Since Christ is not now here in person, they themselves will undertake to act in His stead, to execute the laws of His kingdom. The establishment of such a kingdom was what the Jews desired in the days of Christ. They would have received Jesus, had He been willing to establish a temporal dominion, to enforce what they regarded as the law of God, and to make them the expositors of His will and the agents of His authority. But He said, ‘My kingdom is not of this world.’ John 18:36. He would not accept the earthly throne” (DA 509).

“To protect liberty of conscience is the duty of the state, and this is the limit of its authority in matters of religion. Every secular government that attempts to regulate or enforce religious observances by civil authority is sacrificing the very principle for which the evangelical Christians so nobly struggled” (GC 201).

One is interested to read the comments of Constitutional scholar Leonard Levy, in his book on the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment. Noting that it was Roger Williams, not Thomas Jefferson, who in fact invented the phrase “wall of separation” regarding church and state, Levy writes:

"To Christian fundamentalists of the Framers’ time the wall of separation derived from the Biblical injunction that Christ’s kingdom is not of this world."
Leonard W. Levy, The Establishment Clause: Religion and the First Amendment (New York: Macmillan Publishing Co, 1986), p. 184.

Today’s Christian fundamentalists might wish to re-learn some of the fundamentalism of their forefathers, perhaps.

And yes, both the Bible and the writings of Ellen White predict a time when this wall of separation will be demolished by Christians seeking to enforce God’s will through carnal and secular means.

(Denny) #11

And yet Adventists want to deny gay people the right to marry based on religious texts,ironic huh? In Africa some want the death penalty enforced for gay people… wonderful folks some of us Christians…

(Kevin Paulson) #12

There is no official position on the part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, that I know of, which authorizes church members to lobby civil government for the prohibition of gay marriage. This is an issue on which Adventists, even conservative Adventists such as myself, disagree. From my perspective, it makes no more sense for Adventists to seek legal roadblocks to gay marriage than it would be for us to seek similar secular enactments against marriage between heterosexual persons divorced on other than Bible grounds.

A Bible-believing church such as ours cannot rightly allow marriage within its ranks which does not comport with the model of Scripture. But America is not a theocracy, and no one group’s theological convictions can rightly be made the law of the land with regard to issues of consent and conscience.

(George Tichy) #13

Kevin, check another box: I agree with you on this one.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #14

I think Dr. Ben Carson is talented, skilled surgeon of national recognition. But I think he is hearing voices other than God calling him into presidential politics. president Obama was far better prepared, but the house that Bush/Cheney built fell on him and us… The games the hospitals are playing particularly under Medicare et al. Including the Adventist network will soon be as big a scandal as the financial market collapse a few years back., for which we are still trying to escape. No The Bush/Cheney team brought us close to complete collapse. we ain’t out yet.

a great a man as Hoover couldn’t solve the problem of 1929. FDR was fortunate that he had the blueprint of Teddy R to guide the recovery. The New Deal was a refreshing of the old bull moose platform with a few bells added. Tom Z

(jeremy) #15

this article really makes it sound like ben is running…good for him…of course he’ll lose to mitt…if he doesn’t, he’ll definitely lose to hillary…but the journey will be fun for him, and he may end up being picked for a cabinet position, even after hillary wins…

i’m thinking the position of surgeon general would be a good fit…

(Elmer Cupino) #16

Tell Dr. Carson, should he consider a VP I’m available. I’m sure a number of Spectrumites will vote for me, just to get me out of Dodge.

George @GeorgeTichy, would you resign your GC presidency and join us for a more noble cause where everything we “frown at” at the GC would be more or less an expected behavior at the HW?

(Elmer Cupino) #17

More reason to consider me as VP.

(le vieux) #18

This is one of the few times I find myself in disagreement with you, brother Kevin. Substitute the words “liquor trade” for “‘gay’ marriage,” and maybe you’ll understand where I’m coming from. The concept of a “well-ordered society,” which promotes family stability is certainly worthy of our support. Not on Biblical grounds, but for the good of society (as with prohibition), I believe we should make our voices heard in opposition to same sex “marriage.”

How did we get off on this tangent? Don’t run, Ben, don’t run!

(le vieux) #19

But Elmer, once you’re out of Dodge, you’ll be everywhere, just like our current esteemed VP. A frightening thought, indeed. :wink:

(George Tichy) #20

Man you will be busy indeed!!! LOL