The Good Wife

“Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.” Proverbs 31:10 NKJV

Who defines what a good woman is? Many regard Proverbs 31 as the outline of the ideal. And, as with any outline, it begs to be filled in. Over millennia, countless people have taken it upon themselves to provide the details.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11106
1 Like

If we believe the Proverbs to have been inspired by God, the answer is obvious, God through Solomon did it, not only for women but for men, how they too ought to be in other parts of of the Bible. It poses no issue for me .

If we look at verses 14, 16, 18, and 24, the woman of Proverbs 31 was a businesswoman in addition to her other attributes. She managed a staff (vs. 15). There is far more to this woman than we usually assume.

4 Likes

Vashti plays a heroic role in one of the sermons I preach. I’m sure the writer of Esther had a lot of fun mocking the insecurities of Persian men. Vashti was a feisty, intelligent woman – obviously too much for Xerxes to handle.

3 Likes

Yes! Today and always.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.