The Great Controversy Over Plagiary: The Last Interview of Walter Rea

(Christopher) #105

If you have read the Great Controversy and the Desire of Ages thoroughly as you suggest, you would have come to the same conclusions as Rae and others.

(Elmer Cupino) #106

Compelling evidence that we only find what we’re looking for. :wink:

(George Tichy) #107

Heads up:

Chris, you may not have read it because Jeremy @vandieman wrote it here a few years ago. He said that the SOP actually contains the whole whole Bible, so if someone read only the SOP that person would actually be reading the whole Bible anyway.

I know, this is indeed absurd. But just for you to know that Jeremy believes that and will fight for the SOP to his death. He is what I call “The Ultimate Whiteist Adventist.”

(George Tichy) #108

Jeremy, just curious, Do you have “The Devil” in your repertoire? … LOL
(Tartini, of course… LOL )

(jeremy) #109

every violinist plays this piece at some point…i did it yrs ago, and toyed with doing it again in grad school around 20yrs ago, but ended up going with the bach chaconne, and then the bach a minor unaccompanied sonata, for my baroque requirement…

keep in mind that i’m mainly a teacher now…i don’t have the luxury of practicing much anymore…today, for instance, i sat here in toronto, listening and grading around 20 kids playing their violins for me…i’m now too exhausted to practice, even if i’d brought my violin with me…this will be my life for the rest of this week…when i get back to calgary, i’ll need to work with the over 60 kids in my studio…teaching is a demanding job…

(Christopher) #110

The index files of Ellen White’s literary dependency which you have prepared does not include many chapters (of Desires of Ages). With reference to chapter 64, I would like you to consider the following material found in DA, Chapter 64, pp. 578, 579, and give your candid judgement, Whether it was inspired or plagiarised:

Ellen White (1827-1915): “As the procession is about to descend the Mount of Olives, it is intercepted by the rulers. They inquire the cause of the tumultuous rejoicing. As they question, “Who is this?” the disciples, filled with the spirit of inspiration , answer this question. In eloquent strains they repeat the prophecies concerning Christ: Adam will tell you, It is the seed of the woman that shall bruise the serpent’s head. Ask Abraham , he will tell you, It is “Melchizedek King of Salem,” King of Peace. Genesis 14:18. Jacob will tell you, He is Shiloh of the tribe of Judah. Isaiah will tell you, “Immanuel,” “Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 7:14; 9:6. Jeremiah will tell you, The Branch of David, “the Lord our Righteousness.” Jeremiah 23:6. Daniel will tell you, He is the Messiah. Hosea will tell you, He is “the Lord God of hosts; the Lord is His memorial.” Hosea 12:5. John the Baptist will tell you, He is “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1:29. The great Jehovah has proclaimed from His throne, “This is My beloved Son.” Matthew 3:17. We, His disciples , declare, This is Jesus, the Messiah, the Prince of life, the Redeemer of the world. And the prince of the powers of darkness acknowledges Him, saying, “I know Thee who Thou art, the Holy One of God.” Mark 1:24” (DA, pp. 578, 579, 1940).
Alleged source:
Joseph Hall (1574-1656): “The attending disciples could not be to seek for an answer. Which of the prophets have not put it into their mouths? Who is this? Ask Moses and he shall tell you, The Seed of the Woman that shall break the Serpents head. Ask your father Jacob , and he shall tell you, The Shiloh of the Tribe of Judah. Ask David , and he shall tell you, The King of glory. Ask Isaiah , he shall tell you, Immanuel, Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The prince of Peace. Ask Jeremiah , and he shall tell you, The Righteous Branch. Ask Daniel , he shall tell you, The Messiah. Ask John the Baptist , he shall tell you, The Lamb of God. If you ask the God of the Prophets, he hath told you, This is my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Yea, if all these be too good for you to consult with, the devils themselves have been forced to say, I know who thou art, even that Holy One of God. On no side hath Christ left himself without a testimony; and accordingly, the multitude have their answer ready, This is Jesus, the Prophet of Nazareth in Galilee” (Contemplations upon the Remarkable Passages in the Life of the Holy Jesus, p. 407, 1680).
Where in the Gospels can we find this narrative reported? Ellen White had put the words into the disciples’ mouths saying, “disciples, filled with the spirit of inspiration.” Does it not amount to adding to God’s Word?
Thomas Stephen in his book, A Gospel History of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ: or, a Life of the Man of Sorrows, pp. 588, 589, 1853), also used the same passage from Joseph Hall but he was honest in giving credit to Joseph Hall the originator of this passage. Whereas Ellen White passed it off as inspired from God! That’s the heart of the issue.

(jeremy) #111

yes, pretty much…from what i’ve seen, most of the time there’s a lifestyle issue involved, like meat-eating or coffee drinking…other times it’s a misunderstanding over what inspiration is, or isn’t, and so mistaken issues of plagiarism loom large…

but in every case there’s a failure to tap into the world of inspiration that egw lifts into…there’s a failure to properly connect with the spirit world behind her writing…there’s a failure to understand that she isn’t being understood…

this is the same kind of disconnect that we see in the interaction between christ and the RYR…all he could see was the poverty he’d step into if he gave up his riches…he didn’t connect into what christ was really offering…he didn’t understand what he was walking away from, and didn’t understand that he didn’t understand it…

(reliquum) #112

And then there are those who misunderstand that they understand…

(George Tichy) #113

Trump is calling everyone “a loser.” Will you seemingly call “failed” those who don’t have the intellectual ability(IQ?) to “understand EGW?”
For me this argument of yours, that people do not understand her, is nothing but the same technique Trump uses to prove that he is the only one right, that everyone else is dumb. Touché.

(jeremy) #114

when you successfully tap into the pearl of great price, it’s impossible to misunderstand it…you’ll always recognize where it exists…it’s the way it is…

trump is co-opting techniques that belong to a nobler purpose…and in the case of egw, and any true prophet, it isn’t a question of IQ, which is meaningless when it comes to most of real life…in fact it’s the case that smart people often overlook what is truly spiritual, whereas everyday people often see and feel true spirituality much sooner…

this is where strength in numbers comes in…if we ever see another true prophet again, the church at large will probably realize it before our academics and leaders do…

(Website Editor) closed #115