This continues our series, Five Reasons Jesus. . . . To see them all, click here. -AC
The Top Five Reasons Jesus Was A Catholic
- He gave the church his glory so his followers would be one (John 17:22).
- He said that whatever the church binds on earth will have been bound in Heaven and that whatever the church looses on earth will have been loosed in Heaven (Matt 18:18).
- He taught that whoever does not eat his flesh and drink his blood does not have eternal life (John 6:53).
- He told Peter that Peter was the rock on which he would build the church and gave Peter the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven (Matt 16:18-19).
- He said that the gates of Hades would not prevail against the church (Mat 16:18).
Jesus gave a lot of authority to the church, something certain Protestants don't like to admit. But catholic doesn't mean Roman Catholic. He never said anything about a magisterium of bishops or apostolic succession or his mother's perpetual virginity.
Next up: The top five reasons Jesus was a Seventh-day Adventist. ____
David Hamstra is a Divinity student at Andrews University. He has a BA from Canadian University College and was a pastor in Grande Prairie, Alberta for nearly four years. He blogs at apokalupto.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/1848