Three Angles News - Loma Linda Graduates Win on Meaningful Work Metric

(system) #1

1. Graduates of Loma Linda University rank number one among universities in finding their careers meaningful, according to survey company PayScale. Of the 1.4 million college alumni from over 1,000 US colleges surveyed (including Ivy League schools), LLU grads found their work the most rewarding, even though their jobs were not high-paying, an article in The Atlantic reported.

2. A Dunkin Donuts in Asheville, North Carolina, is going to federal court to answer charges that it practiced religious discrimination against Seventh-day Adventist Darrell Littrell when it rescinded his job offer after he refused to work on Friday night. A local franchise of Dunkin’ Donuts will go to federal court to answer charges that it refused to hire an Asheville man who could not work on Saturday because of his religious beliefs.

3. The Adventist Development and Relief Agency is establishing two temporary health camps in western Nepal to assist some of the 180,000 people still affected by last month’s deadly flooding. ADRA's four health facilities in the area were destroyed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6262

(Robert Sonter) #2

The Dunkin Donuts case is an interesting one. My first impression is that the employment candidate could not have properly clarified the job requirements during the employment interview, particularly regarding what would be expected by way of weekend shift work. I’ve applied for many jobs over the years, and during the part of my life where Sabbath observance was important to me, I always made a point of mentioning this during the interview.

If the job does require that employees work during Sabbath hours, then I’d say this makes a (traditional) SDA employment candidate unsuitable for the position. I don’t see why a prospective employer should have to modify the employment terms and conditions, just to suite the religious affiliation of an applicant. If this is indeed the law, then it’s a stupid law, as some nutcase will surely invent a religion where they can’t conscientiously work Monday to Friday.

On another note, I find it strange that an SDA (at least one sufficiently concerned about keeping the Sabbath) would even want to work for Dunkin Donut. Some dietitians are currently suggesting that foods high in sugar, pose just as serious a health risk as does drinking alcohol. The church prohibits members not only from drinking and smoking, but also from working in the manufacture or retailing of tobacco and alcohol products. To be consistent, the church should really prohibit its members from working for fast-food chains (or lighten up on the tobacco and alcohol, and allow people to make informed choices.)

(Richard Ludders) #3

Asheville is not to far from Collegedale where he could work for the Adventist health food company “Little Debbie’s” (Mc Kee foods).

(Thomas J Zwemer) #4

if one could consider Little Debbie’s one iota better than Dunkin donuts Tom Z

(Winona Winkler Wendth) #5

First, most (if not all) employers post requirements, often as specific as “must work weekends,” so an applicant has little complaint if s/he chooses not to work in such an evironment. Second, I wonder what the legal difference is between not being hired, to begin with, and being fired after having been brought on board. In either case, those employees who live with challenges they did not choose, such as physical handicaps, their gender, and “race” or appearance are protected by civil law, and even then, an employer can set standards for his or her employees that require validated competencies, both intellectual and physical.

On the somewhat off-the-point observations about Little Debbie: The McKees are business people, just like Dunkin’ Donuts’s management, and are not likely to hire anyone they don’t need (or want); if selling unhealthful, addicting foods protects their bottom line, they will make and sell them. I have no idea of how, as Adventists, they sleep at night, but that’s farther off the point.

Somewhere along this looking-for-work line, the job searcher is responsible for his or her own ambition, diligence, and the consequences of ethical choices in his or her life and how they are likely to work their ways out in business. Trying to draw a line between what’s good and what’s not in the world of worker/employer relations is falling into some kind of Socratic rabbit hole best left for Saturday night conversations entered into without the aid of doughnuts or snack cakes.