Time to Join the Fray on the Dress Debate

(Spectrumbot) #1

This is the dress that everyone is talking about right now.

What color is it? Leave your response in the comments below. Let's get this thing figured out, once and for all!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6663

(Elmer Cupino) #2

My wife says, “Blue and brown.” And she is always right. After 41 years, I never question her.

(jeremy) #3

i think it’s blue and black…it’s definitely not white and gold…

(k_Lutz) #4

Considering the poor light in which the photo is taken I can see how it can be perceived as ‘blue and brown’. Yet for those of us with with hypersensitivity to nuance in colors, and the God-given ability to subconsciously migrate that dress to pure sunlight in determining its colors, it is white and gold, no matter what my wife would have said. True, I can avoid an argument in allowing her unique perspective, yet that does not negate mine.

Trust the Process.

(Elmer Cupino) #5

I love it. A man of courage and vision! No pun intended.

(George Tichy) #6

Since I can see even through people’s skull…, I find this dress very interesting no matter what the colors may be… LOL

Really? Is this what Spectrum considers “adhering to high journalistic standards”? (About Us page)

(Richard Ludders) #8

No, I think it has to do with humor. They should just rephrase it to: Lighten Up :smiley:

(David Read) #9

This isn’t related to Adventism, or liberal Adventism, or even post-Adventism. Is this intended to be parody, or self-parody, regarding the absurdly trivial nonsense that progressive metrosexuals are obsessed with? Or does someone just have a bad case of late-winter cabin fever?

(k_Lutz) #10

??? ??? ??? ???

(Jared Wright) #11

Believe it or not, there’s actually a fairly significant socio-cultural reason for discussing this seemingly inane meme. It begins with differences of perceptions that lead to our arguing over the rightness and wrongness of what we perceive, and ends with…

When exactly does it end? That’s the question.

(Jared Wright) #12

Elmer, Blue and brown isn’t even one of the options. Tell your wife (kindly) that’s cheating.

(Elmer Cupino) #13

You really want me to tell my wife her color option was “cheating?” Are you married? LOL

(Jared Wright) #14

Good point. Better not do that. :slight_smile:

(Elmer Cupino) #15

This is Spectrum’s kind of Rorschach test. Your reply already has hit the mark and met its purpose.

@adventistbeliever

(Cfowler) #16

Looks white and gold to me. Pretty dress either way, I think.

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #17

“What’s happening here is your visual system is looking at this thing, and you’re trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis,” says Bevil Conway, a neuroscientist who studies color and vision at Wellesley College. “So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black.”

Probably not the best way to prove your point if you have to explain it.
“Foster intellectual growth” my friend. That’s your mission.

(jeremy) #19

actually i think it’s a brilliant illustration of the fact that even though people see things differently, there is an objective and correct reality…

(Richard Ludders) #20

Looks like “Fifty Shades of Gray” to me :smile: