Tithe: the Biggest Story of the Year

(Cfowler) #22

Wow, Kim.

Those stories are terrible. These types of stories are sprinkled in sermons and the Review, every so often. It’s either paying tithe, or keeping Sabbath.

I would think that in most Christian churches, if it was known that someone couldn’t buy groceries, they should be helping her! There should be something in place for helping church members, not taking money they don’t have.

These kinds of stories of shaming, guilting and manipulating people into paying tithe (especially when their financial situation is so bad) is just horrible. They should be ashamed, but I’ve yet to see that happen!

(Psychometrics) #23

On one hand, I admire her dedication. On the other hand I kind of cringe that she would mention her plight in such a public way, but that’s just me. And yes, there’s the common sense thing you mentioned too.

(Kim Green) #24

Yes…what possible motivation would there be??

(Kim Green) #25

I respect that this is what she truly believes. And, yes, it is “cringe-worthy” for more than one reason.

She seemed to be a very extroverted individual who liked to “connect”. It should be no surprise that she has penned a book of her “experiences” for all to read. Shyness does not reside in her. :grin:

(Kim Green) #26

I have come to understand that it is the type of “faith” prism that you are looking through! I have no doubt that she “knew” God would come to her aid. Unfortunately, for many people when they try this sort of faith approach to things and it doesn’t go well for them- they completely leave belief in God behind.

(Psychometrics) #27

Oh dear. I’m now less incline to give her the benefit of the doubt regarding her motives. Maybe my deep-seated inclination of keeping my personal experiences personal is influencing my view. I tend to have a lot of counter transferences with regards to self-aggrandizement. It tends to get in the way professionally too. Maybe I should make an appointment with George. :wink:

(Kim Green) #28

Oh…you should! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Looks to me like a major character flaw…lol

(Cfowler) #29

#NOPE

(Shining) #30

And that is not counting the 100 million that the GC took by waiving policy

(Peter) #31

The “storehouse” the Bible describes is NOT necessarily any part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. This SDA teaching is not actually “Biblical” IMHO.

(Peter) #32

She paid tithe although she couldn’t afford groceries? Announced in a sermon? Sounds too much like pride to me. The Bible says not to announce our good deeds.

(Peter) #33

For decades I paid a double tithe on a denominational salary. That didn’t protect me! 5% to my local church is enough for me now.

And maybe it is. Who knows?

(Kim Green) #35

I think it has more to do with economic cycles than TW’s policies…lol

Politicians everywhere take credit for ANYTHING that happens that is positive during their tenure even if they had NOTHING to do with it! :slight_smile:

(Kim Green) #36

It was a bit of a strange sermon. :slight_smile:

(Shining) #37

the deal with the tithe honor is that it will only be as successful as local club leaders support it. If they have not sold the honor to P staff, it wont make a ripple.

(Tihomir Odorcic) #38

500 M increase in one year!?! How big was the amount of that tithe which was taken by force from the Oregon Conference? Maybe there could be a clue.

(Leandro) #39

Frank,
You’re absolutely right. It was give and take situation in the OT. They give tithes and in return, the priests were allowed to bear the congregation’s sins before God. We were already free from working that way when the veil of the temple was rent as Jesus died. We can ask forgiveness now directly. The church should give all the money to the needy and not to some overhead expenses.

(Steve Mga) #40

Question regarding the picture connected with the article.
DID someone make a mistake in one of the words on the backdrop???

(Frankmer7) #41

Taking it a step further…while there was a sense of a worldwide movement in the early church, from Jesus’ great commission, there was no worldwide administrative architecture. The church was centered on people gathered together around Jesus, and empowered by his Spirit, in its expressions in the local congregations. It wasn’t a world wide branded, top heavy, corporate entity, organized around a creedal statement. There was no Silver Springs administrative overhead…and it grew and grew.

Should we really be paying for a top heavy, inefficient, administrative apparatus? Should we really be supporting something that in its essence is so far from what the NT church was? I truly believe that a congregational model, that relies on the good will and cooperation of believers and individual congregations is what the church should be. Not a corporate behemoth that codifies giving by law, in order to sustain itself.

I won’t give my money to support this nonsense anymore. The local church is where the need truly is.

Thanks…

Frank