Union College Student, 38, Reminisces On 20-year Career as a Communications Major

(Spectrumbot) #1

38-year-old Union College student Frank Lento celebrated a major life milestone with an assortment of family friends and faculty in his residence hall lobby this morning. "Two decades ago today, I enrolled as a full-time Communications student at Union College. I have never looked back," he said to bewildered applause.

Lento's beaming face has featured in generations of Union yearbooks and promotional materials. Perhaps his proudest achievement is being classmates with the children of several of his contemporaries when he first stepped foot on campus as a giddy freshman in 1995. "It feels very rewarding to be part of Union's history in such a unique way," said Lento.

"Choosing to be a Comm major with an emphasis in PR is no joke," said the senior who has never wavered in his dedication to the study of the field. "Company newsletters are just as challenging to write now as they were in 1995: appropriate font sizes and quality head shots don't just happen on their own. Plus now there's Twitter to worry about and you've got to make those 140 characters count."

Asked why he thinks his journey as a Communication major has taken so long, Lento stressed not only the academic rigors of Advanced Party Planning and other core classes but also pointed to a smattering of student missionary years (all to the same beach community in Majuro, Micronesia) and two task force years (to Hawaiian Mission Academy) during which he has proudly exemplified Union's spirit of service.

Friends emphasize that to know Lento is to know a firm believer in the perils of rushing life. "Listen, this isn't a race, I've got the rest of my days to work behind a desk," said Lento. "I've done multiple internships in the marketing departments of hospitals and conference offices and I gotta tell ya, it's dog eat dog out there. I'm in no hurry to make that my life."

Nicknamed the eternal student by many a college president and faculty advisor, Lento said that he looks forward to graduating someday, "but not before I take a few more Spanish electives and maybe Advanced Soccer to really give me the edge in the real world."

Sevvy is a writer at the anonymously-authored humor and satire blog BarelyAdventist.com.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6680

(Elaine Nelson) #2

I’ve known one or two perpetual students like Lento: some have taken nearly every easy course offered and maintained student status. As long as dad is willing to keep him out of mischief and out of the home, it’s a good deal, they believe.

(Sevvy) #3

I took Beginner’s Soccer at Andrews… It ended up being tougher than I thought… and because I misjudged the demands of the course I ended up taking a hit to my GPA!

(le vieux) #4

When I started at PUC as a freshman in 1968, there was a young woman there (I won’t mention her name); can’t remember her major. When I returned in 1978 to do some graduate work, she was still there as a student. And then there was an older lady, who called herself “Grandmother Maguire.” She took a few classes every year for her own benefit. I thought it was great. Anyone who was at PUC back then probably remembers her.

(George Tichy) #5

I heard that Elaine @ageis7 just applied (and was accepted) there to take some advanced classes next year.
The first one of her interest is, “Theological Maneuvers.”

I only hope that her application doesn’t just disappear from the PUC archives as some posts apparently did here… LOL

(Elaine Nelson) #6

Since I’m a perpetual student, although not in college residence, I hope to always continue studying, whether for credit or my own interests. When one stops learning, what is there left?

(le vieux) #7

Spectrum. . . .? :slight_smile:

(George Tichy) #8

Spectrum is excellent for people who work a lot and need some healthy entertainment to relax. At least for me it works very well. And there is, actually, a lot of things to learn for those who want to learn…

(Steve Mga) #9

What is left?
A fun Conservative Jewish Synagogue with a very intelligent, fun-loving Rabbi.

Perpetual Students. WHY?
Around 1966 I read an article in the local newspaper. It was discussing the coming challenges in the Job Market.
It stated that the working person in the future [past 1966] was going to have to learn up to 7 NEW Job skills in one’s working lifetime. And this was pre-Computerization of the work places, robots in assembly lines, etc.

(Chris Blake24) #10

Frank Lento’s deepest secret and dearest hope are to one day, God willing and the silver springs don’t rise, become heir apparent to an anonymously authored satire blog.

“I hope to raise the bar–if it’s even possible,” Frank admits. “Who knows how? Possibly remove the hyphen after the adverb in ‘anonymously-authored.’ But I’ll need some post-grad work for that, prob’ly. That should require ten more years.”

(Randle Patrick) #11

3ABN.

Amazing Facts.

An Old Columbia Pike employee.

Advindicate.

GYC.

San Antonio 2015.

Last Gas Theology adherents.

Weimar

Hartland College.

Faux News.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #12

what has happened in Georgia over the last 20 years is that the University Sysytem of colleges and universities have all gone universities, acting as if they are all Harvard. the Vocational Institutes now grant the BA and BS degrees. They turn out career ready graduates.Moreover, their credits are recognized by first rate graduate schools. Tom Z

(Thomas J Zwemer) #13

I don’t know which courses I took that prepared me for life. but I do know which teachers prepared me for liife. I will not attempt to name them here, but my parents head the list. I remember my last words with my dad. he said, “I am sorry Tom I am not leaving you aninheritance.” I replied, “dad you made a man of me! what more could a son ask?” We kissed wet cheek to wet cheek. I had to walk away with a firm step. He,bed fast, watched me go. parenting is the greatest gift and greatest challenge of life. Spending part time in college should at least keep one young and open hearted. Tom Z

(Allen Shepherd) #14

That guy needs to move out of the basement and get a job.

Tom, your stories and especially those of your father are too much. I always cry. My father did leave me an inheritance, and lots of good advice as well. But becoming a man, at least most of it was what I did, and same with you. You gave him something to be proud of, and that is a gift that is so valuable, that all others shrink to trifles. So blessed was he as well.

(le vieux) #15

The epitome of cynicism. Hardly worthy of a response, but Amazing Facts is a voice for truth and a dying world, and is continually bringing people to Christ? How many have you brought in the past year?

(Thomas J Zwemer) #16

Bi. You make salvation sound like-“He who has the most marbles wins” The amazing fact is that the God Who made us, died to save us, Now is our Advocate and soon our coming King of Kings. He Who knows the hair of our heads doesn’t need to consult old records. We have the proof in Moses and Elijah. Tom Z

(George Tichy) #17

Pici, This was a very cheap shot!
Are we now in a contest for "how many have you…?"
Come on…

(Elaine Nelson) #18

Christ DRAWS people to Himself; Humans have no salvific or converting power.
No human “brings” others to Christ, they must come of their own free will, and sometimes humans get in the way.

(le vieux) #19

No, but I couldn’t let the implications of what he posted go unchallenged. Amazing Facts is doing a great work, and to imply that they are what’s left after one stops learning was uncalled for.

(George Tichy) #20

Elaine,
That was the language that many of us were raised with, in which the clerical leaders kept making the laity feeling guilty, therefore working harder in “bringing souls to the Lord” - aiming to placate their guilt. And helping them to reach their yearly baptismal goals, and receiving their heavenly crowns as well (besides earthly promotions, of course).