Upside Down and Backward

Some time ago in this space, I wrote about why I believe churches exist. At the very least (although I have a few more reasons in that post) the church exists as a locus from which to spread the gospel and as a community for believers. As I look across the landscape of American Christianity (and evangelicalism specifically), I see an institution that is upside down and backward.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11615
3 Likes

I would suggest it has always been upside down and backwards. Looking back at history one see the various times the church/s was that way. Beginning of Civil War and along time after is one of the more recent examples. (White Too Long-Robert P Jones) Of course there are many other examples. I have to admit that I see less and less to be optimistic about when it comes to organized religion. Love your neighbor as yourself is a ‘catch phrase’ only, difficult to find it practice in the corporate world of religious practice.

4 Likes

Thank you for pointing out that carrying out an abortion of an unwanted fetus is a charitable spiritual act for many women and members of the clergy who counsel for it as a means of simplifying and making order out of chaos. The fact that this is in fact carrying out the dictates of their faith is overlooked by many Christians. Hopefully the Adventist Church will one day recognize the sacred right of abortion and the duty to support it.

1 Like

the difference between legal abortion and illegal abortion is that with legal abortion, no-one’s beliefs on this matter are interfered with by the state…

my view is that there is no answer…white evangelicals haven’t been operating in the type of reasoning that produces answers, especially lately…their whole effort has been in using the courts, and the government, to force their views on others…

egw uses the phrase “apostate protestantism” to identify the instigator of end time events, where the state attaches a death penalty to the decision to not fall in line with Sunday worship…she doesn’t attach a specific identity to this phrase, but it’s hard to see that white evangelicals don’t fit this bill…

Just FYI: when I try to go to
https://www.thehinesight.blogspot.com/
I get a warning that “this website may be impersonating… to steal your information…

Spectrum, please check this out.

I am convinced that Adventist also fit well into the definition of Babylon and probably into the “Apostate Protestantism” moniker she used. Come out of her my people is a call to separate from the mess that has matured into plain sight over the last 2000+ years. With the information age it is very hard to continue the deflections and deceptions that have been traditionally used to sustain our superiority complex.

5 Likes

the specific act that egw’s apostate protestantism engages in is the establishment of a sunday mandate…i don’t see adventists of any stripe involved in this…

I agree the challenge that is dividing the two sides is directly related to the foundation of Christology. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I believe that each individual will make their own choice without coercion.

This is the greatest HOAX of the 19th century!

4 Likes

well, right now it doesn’t seem likely, but i can see it happening down the road, given today’s Republican Party…

1 Like

I have to agree with

It is a part of the SDA eschatological perspective which allows the delusions we now see so plainly. Nothing is fulfilled yet, so till then we can support anything, even stuff which is not only antithetical to the principles of love which Christ demonstrated but frankly against self interest.

1 Like

but remember, part of the prophecy is that there will be a long time in which the end-time sunday law won’t be believed…if this is true, then the fact that it seems delusive now is simply part of the prophecy…

I guess Adventists fit well into this group for reasons well known. Protestants (at least by theory) believe in ‘bible only’ as the rule of faith. But Adventist don’t stand on this principle alone.

egw prophecy does imply an apostate adventism joining forces with apostate protestantism…the 144,000 likely won’t be allowed to call themselves adventists, let alone meet in today’s adventist property that their tithe paid for…

just take a look at what happened under pentecost…people who were recipients of the HS on unparalleled levels were persecuted and thrown in prison by the Jewish church, which was the chosen church of god…the prophets of the OT, also recipients of the HS on unparalleled levels, were mostly persecuted and incarcerated or killed by the Jewish church…

nothing is new under the sun…we can expect to happen in the future what has happened in the past…

1 Like

Bible does not call them Adventists. They are faithful living ones in the end. Strangely enough,
Ellen White said she would be resurrected to be with them before the second coming!

1 Like

whatever they’re allowed to call themselves, the 144,000 will in effect be seventh-day adventists…they will be keeping the seventh-day sabbath, and they will believe in the 2nd coming of Jesus…strictly speaking, the apostolic church was also seventh-day adventist…

1 Like

That’s your assumption. There will be many Catholics and perhaps non-Christians as well, and why not? We are not saved by denominations.

it’s the correct assumption, given the parameters laid out in the book of Revelation…

and of course there are going to be Catholics, Bhuddists, Muslims, Methodists, Anglicans, Republicans and Democrats and everything else who pass through the Time of Trouble, and are translated without seeing death…you don’t need to quote egw to me…the Latter Rain is going to bring into the fold of the 144,000 many we don’t expect now…

1 Like

There is no EGW quote in my post! I found no original stuff in her writings worthy to quote.

Except for this reference. That is a new one to me and am sorry to ask but could you provide where this reference can be found.