Video of Spectrum Book Club on “Ostriches and Canaries”

On August 27, the Spectrum Book Club met to discuss “Ostriches and Canaries: Coping with Change in Adventism, 1966-1979” (Oak and Acorn, 2022). Author Gilbert M. Valentine joined to talk about his book, which details Robert Pierson’s presidency of the Adventist Church in the 1960s and 1970s.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11963
1 Like

*I’m posting this for Gary Blount; it was transcribed and sent to me by longtime board member, Lee Blount”

Three cheers for Gil Valentine’s latest book which fearlessly and convincingly chronicles a pathetic and protracted chapter in the history of the Adventist Church.

I am awed by Gil’s meticulous research. His readable writing reminds me of Stanford University historian Thomas Bailey’s beloved, yet provocative writing in the last half of the twentieth century. Gil’s storytelling is hard hitting but without a hint of schadenfreude.

I suppose the reason I have stopped calling this plump tome a “page turner” is that I finally recognized that my effusiveness probably results from the fact that every few pages I seemed to run across somebody I knew—one or two quite well.
You may find Ostriches and Canaries stuffed full of villains and victims and a few heroes.

In promoting this book, would it help to quote a powerful, divisive, favorite yet flawed President?
IT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE ULTIMATE HEALTH OF OSTRICHES TO BURY THEIR HEADS IN THE SAND.
—FDR, January 3, 1940 opening speech to Congress.

Gary Blount

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.