Vulnerability: A Sabbath Worship Experience

(Spectrumbot) #1

I wonder if it was dusty at the well where Jesus met the Samaritan woman. I would like it if it was. The woman came to the well for water. Water washes dust away. Jesus asked her for water. To ask for anything is to admit that one needs something from someone else. Jesus, it seems, makes it a point to put himself in her debt. She points out to him how far out of the norm it was for a Jew to submit himself to the place where he admits his need of a Samaritan. I have found that when I ask people for something, it often reminds me of my own deficiencies. However, we have a theological picture of Christ in which He is shown to have no deficiencies. Why does he ask her this favor? Why does I place himself in this position of needing something from her? Was it just a ploy to get a conversation started? Was it an honest request? I read it as such, though I have no way of knowing for sure. I see a man comfortable with vulnerability. Was He truly vulnerable? One could assume Him capable of getting His own water, but He still models vulnerability. It reminds me of another time when He approached a man dressed in camel hair with a vulnerable request. I often wonder to what extent He took up this vulnerable stance as a model. Perhaps Jesus meant to challenge our assumptions that strength is self-sufficiency. Perhaps He wanted to model vulnerability for me. I know that I don’t like to show that I am deficient. I like to imagine the dirt in Jesus’ world. I like the idea that Jesus did messy. If Jesus worked with messy then, I have more hope that he will work with me now. He was vulnerable first, and that opened her vulnerability. That is perhaps why it is so freeing to be under His Kingdom.

Introit: Simple Gifts - Blast

Opening Hymn: Come Thou Fount - Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Call to Prayer: Will You be There? - Boyce Avenue

Opening Prayer: Lord, I Need You - Matt Maher

Spoken Word: Brené Brown - The Power of Vulnerablity

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6599

(Thomas J Zwemer) #2

pick any freeway, in any city the size of Atlanta, At 5:15 P.M. You With a full bladder and ask what would Jesus do? Tom Z

(Bille) #3

Thank you, Steve Moor, for a great way to begin my Sabbath day’s rest and contemplation.

(Sirje) #4

Beautiful presentations - all of them. Thank you.

(Ellen Brodersen) #5

Thanks for sharing - I watched Brene Brown last year and her message has helped me to rethink the value of connecting with others - another video along these same lines “why trust is so worth it” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWypWe9UAhQ

(Steve Mga) #6

How does Vulnerability affect us as Seventh day Adventists who have the WHOLE TRUTH and Nothing But The Truth?
How does an SDA grow through Vulnerability of one’s beliefs if there is NOTHING more to learn. “I have it ALL”.
I have my “28s”, my “red books”, my 1850 picture chart.

(Steve Mga) #7

Re: Simple Gifts.
Would any of your churches allow THIS Bell Choir to present special music at Sabbath Service? Thought they were really good.

(jeremy) #8

the world really lost a treasure with the needless death of michael jackson…it’s so rare for people to be so gifted and intuitive at the same time, as the song, “will you be there”, clearly shows…i think michael would have accepted egw adventism had he known about it…

(Rohan Charlton) #9

Michael was a genius no doubt about it.

(Carrol Grady`) #10

Since I first publicly admitted some 20+ years ago that I, a pastor’s wife, had one son who was divorced and another who was gay, I have had hundreds, if not thousands, of people come and share their stories with me, because I had made myself vulnerable to them.

(Steve Mga) #11

Carrol
You and your husband have been a blessing to many, many, many Adults who have thought they had “failed” in some way because of who their children are and what path they found themselves in.
You and your husband have been a blessing to many, many, many children of these Adults, some of whom have been told they were going to hell because of Who they were and Who God liked them as they were from conception.
Thank you and your husband both for not hiding when tragedy struck your family. Too often families want to hide when “bad things” happen, and want to “cover up” what they think will cause persons in the group not to associate with them any more. Or, the group will “whisper” about them.
Because of you there have been wonderful changes in a few SDA local churches by the local pastors.

(Carrol Grady`) #12

Thank you, Steve. For all we have helped by being transparent, we are grateful. But perhaps we helped ourselves most of all!

(Thomas J Zwemer) #13

I was discharged from the army. I took the South Shore from Chicago to South Bend, planning to hitch hike from there to EMC. I stopped at the shoe shine stand to have my army boots polished. I took the end seat nearest the door. the row was filled. A church school aged black boy came in and started at the back of the row. he held a small colored can. Each man he approached shook his head no. finally the boy came to me, the only one in uniform. I quickly noticed the can was a Harvest Ingathering Can. I took the can from the boy and asked him what he was collecting for. he timidly relied, for a new Church School Building. I got out my billfold and placed a dollar in the can. then I said, son, now go back down the line and see what you can do! the boy did, and each man put in a dollar. If I ever saw vulnerability turn to joy, it was during those ten minutes Tom Z

(Yoyo7th) #14

That is denominational/institutional self-deception. Most SDA don’t even know what gospel, grace and salvation are.

(George Tichy) #15

Do you think this is a fair statement?
Any stats to substantiate your claim?

(Bille) #16

Tom, I can’t resist commenting on this… partly because it brings back memories of “Harvest Ingathering” as a teen during this time. And I’m concerned that today’s generation have an appreciation for just how large a donation you actually gave. In those days, the donations were almost without exception the kind that makes noise in the can… and almost always those were pennies, nickles, dimes. Only occasionally did we hear the “clunk” of a quarter… and that was only for the girls who were adept at “flirting” with the servicemen as they strode through town jingling the change in their pockets.

To put it better in perspective… a skilled wage earner in those days could expect no more than thirty-five dollars a week. Most laborers would not even be able to afford to have their shoes polished for them. For you to give that amount… and for every man there to follow your example… was… well, there are no words to really put it in 21st century comprehension… extraordinary is simply too mild!

Thank you for your stories. I do hope you are seriously working on a book of Memoirs… or at least are making sure you have written them out and have them saved in your files for you descendents to gather together and share with the world.

(Yoyo7th) #17

Show it is unfair by getting any of the following: GC, unions, local conferences, or several local churches to conduct a survey of an appropriate sample size.

(k_Lutz) #18

If they can’t write a SS quarterly that can pass muster, how would they conduct a survey without their own biases built in?

Trust the Process.