Watch: Love Serve Lead

At the “Love Serve Lead” conference in San Diego, CA, in June, 2018, a number of Adventist Church leaders sat down and talked about what “Love Serve Lead" means to Seventh-day Adventists around the world.

Taken together, they present a vision of unity of purpose and mission that reaffirms our shared faith while enabling diversity of perspective, culture, ethnicity, age, and gender.

Presented by the Pacific Union Conference Department of Communication & Community Engagement on “All God’s People” for September 21, 2018.

WATCH: Love Serve Lead

This video was provided by the Pacific Union Conference.

Image: video still

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/9034
2 Likes

Very well stated by people who love, serve and lead.

I have served this religious community since 1971 when I became a member by choice as a teenager. In my opinion, since 2010 there has been a lack of focus on community, diverse and grand as it is, and the love of the Holy Spirit, which is all encompassing. We need to recapture the essence of what and who we were back then—a prophetic movement before the current draconian state of affairs.

The fruit and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are not limited to one gender, cultural region or time. They are open to all members of the community.

If we truly believe that proclaiming the eternal Gospel of Jesus and what it means for this generation is still the valid mission for this community or ship of faith, then we must conclude our current heading is off course. A course correction is needed on the bridge.

This will require courage and dedication to get us back to where we belong. All of us are part of this action plan in changing the watch on the bridge of the Advent Movement.

1 Like

Look up the definitions for the word love in English. The closest to ones mission is care or caring, all others have a romantic connotation. The Greek doesn’t give that trouble. I reserve the word love for wife and family. Went it comes to food or art or music the choices are many.We should be careful as well as caring.

Olive Hemmings comment gets to the heart of all of this with her statement " Who said God said it had to be this way and no other". it’s the garden moment of Eve listening and believing in the words of the enemy “Hath God said” played out again and again through out human history, and now we are here at this sentinel moment on the borders of eternity questioning God’s authority once again.

"hath God really said? yes He’s made it very clear in HIS word that HE did say it is this way and walk ye there in it and LIVE.

Incredible to hear and see this unfold now over four years now from the false witness report of the TOSC—to the words uttered now just before fall council of 2018.

Surreal to say the least. There is NO reverence for God and HIS counsel in these leaders.

**The Perils of False Science

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called. 1 Tim. 6:20.

In New Hampshire there were those who were active in disseminating false ideas in regard to God. Light was given me that these men were making the truth of no effect by their ideas, some of which led to free-lovism. I was shown that these men were seducing souls by presenting speculative theories regarding God. . . . Among other views, they held that those once sanctified could not sin, and this they were presenting as gospel food. Their false theories, with their burden of deceptive influence, were working great harm to themselves and to others. They were gaining a spiritualistic power over those who could not see the evil of these beautifully clothed theories. Great evils had already resulted. The doctrine that all were holy had led to the belief that the affections of the sanctified were never in danger of leading astray. The result of this belief was the fulfillment of the evil desires of hearts which, though professedly sanctified, were far from purity of thought and practice. This is only one of the instances in which I was called upon to rebuke those who were presenting the doctrine of an impersonal god diffused through nature, and the doctrine of holy flesh. In the future, truth will be counterfeited by the precepts of men. Deceptive theories will be presented as safe doctrines. False science is one of the agencies that Satan used in the heavenly courts, and it is used by him today. . . . I beseech those who are laboring for God not to accept the spurious for the genuine. We have a whole Bible full of the most precious truth. We have no need for supposition or false excitement. In the golden censer of truth, as presented in Christ’s teachings, we have that which will convict and convert souls. Present in the simplicity of Christ the truths that He came to this world to proclaim, and the power of your message will make itself felt. Do not present theories or tests that have no foundation in the Bible. - From Maranatha - Page 135

Might I remind you, SOP also has warned you that there would be new books and orders:

“In a vision of the night I was shown distinctly that these sentiments have been looked upon by some as the grand truths that are to be brought in and made prominent at the present time. I was shown a platform, braced by solid timbers–the truths of the Word of God. Some one high in responsibility in the medical work was directing this man and that man to loosen the timbers supporting this platform. Then I heard a voice saying, ;" Where are the watchmen that ought to be standing on the walls of Zion? Are they asleep? This foundation was built by the Master Worker, and will stand storm and tempest. Will they permit this man to present doctrines that deny the past experience of the people of God? The time has come to take decided action.

The enemy of souls has sought to bring in the supposition that a great reformation was to take place among Seventh-day Adventists, and that this reformation would consist in giving up the doctrines which stand as the pillars of our faith, and engaging in a process of reorganization. Were this reformation to take place, what would result? The principles of truth that God in His wisdom has given to the remnant church, would be discarded. Our religion would be changed. The fundamental principles that have sustained the work for the last fifty years would be accounted as error. A new organization would be established. Books of a new order would be written. A system of intellectual philosophy would be introduced. The founders of this system would go into the cities, and do a wonderful work.” SM. Vol. 1, 201

There has been many new books approved by our leaders. “Connections” by Bill Hybel of Willow Creek, Being sold by Adventist Source. A devotional book “Confessions of a Nomad” a Baptist book by William and Shirley Self, bought by the leaders and sold as a devotional book. Also a seminar study, “Awaken” By CRM, a Baptist book. That in it, states we have the DNA of God. We were created in God’s image, but we don’t have God’s DNA. This course was given in 2014 by Walter Allred my pastor in the Indiana Conference. Also “Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren, many of our pastors are giving to their flocks. And I could go on and on. Even many Adventist writers today with truth and error in their books. Alex Bryans book “The Green Cord Dream” on page 22, calling Ellen G. White, “In 1842, during this era of Advent hope, fifteen-year-old girl Ellen G. White had a mystical experience.” And I could go on with more writers in the church.

New Hermeneutics has creeped in to the Seventh-day Adventist church:

“Men will arise with interpretations of scripture which are to them truth, but which are not truth. The truth for this time, God has given us as a foundation for our faith. He Himself has taught us what is truth. One will arise, and still another, with new light which contradicts the light God has given under the demonstration of His Holy Spirit… We are not to receive the words of those who come with a message that contradicts the special points of our faith.” Counsels to Writers and Editors, p 32.

God Never Changes: How many scriptures do you want? Malachi 3:6, “I change not”., Hebrews 13:8, Christ Never Changes, James 1:17- Whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. Exodus 3:14.

The Old Testament records God established the Male/Patriarchal period, Male headship period.

Adam Crowned King in Eden . {Vol. 1 Bible Commentary 1082.2}

Adam was crowned king in Eden . To him was given dominion over every living thing that God had created. The Lord blessed Adam and Eve with intelligence such as He had not given to any other creature. He made Adam the rightful sovereign over all the works of His hands . Man, made in the divine image, could contemplate and appreciate the glorious works of God in nature (Redemption; or the Temptation of Christ, p. 7). {1BC 1082.2}

“The angels warned them of Satan and cautioned them not to separate from each other in their employment, for they might be brought in contact with this fallen foe. The angels also enjoined upon them to follow closely the directions God had given them, for in perfect obedience only were they safe. Then this fallen foe could have no power over them .” {Early Writings 147.1}

Under God, Adam was to stand at the head of the earthly family, to maintain the principles of the heavenly family . This would have brought peace and happiness. But the law that none & liveth to himself; (Romans 14:7), Satan was determined to oppose. He desired to live for self. He sought to make himself a center of influence. It was this that had incited rebellion in heaven, and it was man’s acceptance of this principle that brought sin on earth. When Adam sinned, man broke away from the heaven-ordained center . A demon became the central power in the world. Where God’s throne should have been, Satan placed his throne. The world laid its homage, as a willing offering, at the feet of the of the enemy. {CT 33.1}

Satan commenced his work with Eve, to cause her to disobey . She first erred in wandering from her husband, next in lingering around the forbidden tree, and next in listening to the voice of the tempter, and even daring to doubt what God had said , “In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” She thought that perhaps the Lord did not mean just what He said, and venturing , she put forth her hand, took of the fruit and ate. It was pleasing to the eye and pleasant to the taste . Then she was jealous that God had withheld from them what was really for their good, and she offered the fruit to her husband, thereby tempting him. She related to Adam all that the serpent had said and expressed her astonishment that he had the power of speech. {EW 147.2}
God creates Woman as a helper for the man. So, Eve was Adam’s Help Meet. Especially after they had sinned. Then God said, what was Eve’s punishment after they had sinned? “Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.” Gen. 3:16.
And in 1 Corinthians 11: 3 tells us, “But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God.

Many pastors for WO, try and use the Text Galatians 3: 28, 29. As justification of WO. Read it with me.

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 3:29 And if ye [be] Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Brothers and sisters, all this is simply saying, that all are equal when it comes to salvational issues. Look closely to the total content of the recipients. You can be a Jew or Greek, or whatever nationality that you are. Have your freedom or bonded a (slave), as to gender, a man, a woman, a child. No one is greater as to the equality of their salvation.

Simple question why did Christ come as the Second Adam and not the Second Eve?

Adam Restored to His Eden Home —After his expulsion from Eden Adam’s life on earth was filled with sorrow. Every dying leaf, every victim of sacrifice, every blight upon the fair face of nature, every stain upon man’s purity, were fresh reminders of his sin. Terrible was the agony of remorse as he beheld iniquity abounding and, in answer to his warnings, met the reproaches cast upon himself as the cause of sin. With patient humility he bore for nearly a thousand years the penalty of transgression. Faithfully did he repent of his sin and trust in the merits of the promised Saviour, and he died in the hope of a resurrection. The Son of God redeemed man’s failure and fall; and now, through the work of the atonement, Adam is reinstated in his first dominion. AH 540.4

“When Satan declared to Christ, The kingdom and the glory of the world are delivered unto me, and to whomsoever I will I give it, he stated what was true only in part, and he declared it to serve his own purpose of deception. Satan’s dominion was that wrested from Adam, but Adam was the vicegerent of the Creator. His was not an independent rule. The earth is God’s, and He has committed all things to His Son. Adam was to reign subject to Christ. When Adam betrayed his sovereignty into Satan’s hands, Christ still remained the rightful king… “ AG 41.4

No Change in Satan’s Propaganda .

–God does not consult our opinions or preferences. He knows what human beings do not know,–the future results of every movement, and therefore our eyes should be directed to Him, and not to the worldly advantages presented by Satan. Satan tells us that if we give heed to him, we shall reach great heights of knowledge. Ye shall be as gods, he said to Eve, if you eat of the tree forbidden by God. The test given to Adam and Eve was very light, but they could not bear it. They disobeyed God, and this transgression opened the floodgates of woe on our world (MS 50, 1893). {1BC 1083.2}

And in The New Testament**, God still continues the Male “Headship” as the head of His church. Our Colleges and Universities have discarded these facts, in their teachings, God’s instructions for His Model church.

Heres what Gods Word tell us,

Yes we can and should love all mankind, even our brothers and sisters in the church. But we don’t have to agree or like the teaching of such people in or out of the church.

Truth and Error is getting closer and closer. We have been in the Omega rebellion since the 1930’s. Ellen G. White in Testimonies to the Church, Vol. 2 pg. 14-17 tells you if a person says something publicly, that can affects the church, you can publicly rebuke them. And it not a Matthew 18.

End-time Present Truth with the Bible.

Scripture to rebuke the Untruths in the body of the church:

1. Ephesians 5:9-11. “For the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness and righteousness and truth; (10) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. (11) And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].”

2. Proverbs 13:13. “Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed : but he that

feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.”

3. Proverbs 30:5, 6. “Every word of God [is] pure: he [is] a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar .”

4. Galatians 1:8 “But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel

unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed .”

5. Isaiah 8:20 “ To the law and to the testimony : if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them .”

6. II Peter 2:1 “But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (2) And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. (3) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.”

What has God called us to do?

7 . “Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the Lord; Behold I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.” Jeremiah 18:11 “Stand in the court of the Lord’s house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the Lord’s house, all the words that 1 command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word. If so be they will hearken, and turn every man from his evil way…” Jeremiah 26:2

Show my people their sins

8 . “Cry Aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgressions, and the house of Jacob their sins.” Isaiah 58:1 “Son of man, cause Jerusalem to know her abominations…” Ezekiel 16:2

9. Ezekiel 14:6“Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD): Repent, and turn [yourselves] from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.”

10. Ezekiel 33:6 “But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take [any] person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman’s hand. 33:7 So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. 33:8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. 33:9 Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.”

11. John 16:1, 2, 3: “These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. (2) They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. (3) And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.”

12. 2 John 1: 9, 10: Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. (10) If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

13. Revelation 22: 18, 19. “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (19) And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.”

14. Psalms 138:2 … “for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.”

15. 1 Timothy 5:22: Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other

men’s sins: keep thyself pure.

16. Titus 1: 13-16: This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

17. Titus 3:10, 11: “A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject; (11) Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.”

18. 1 Peter 5:8 (Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:)

19. Revelation 12:12 “Therefore rejoice, [ye] heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.”

20 . “And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ .” Rev. 12:17

21. Rev 19:10 “And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy .”

22. 1 Timothy 3: 5 “For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?”

23 . Heb. 13:9 "Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein."

Biblical Scriptures Dealing God’s Calling For His Watchmen

So we have been given the gift, to expose the Sunday movement. Many do not see the Sunday movement, and we through the 3 angels’ message to warn the people of the Sunday movement and what it entails. To warn them now, and not after the Sunday Law has been legislated.

Question what exposed the Dark Ages? It was God’s Word . So when the Reformers discovered in the Word of God, Did they wait? No , they went out and proclaimed it to the people. Right ?

Lets go to the book of Isaiah 9, beginning in verse 9, “And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground. (Vs.10) O my threshing, and the corn of my floor: that which I have heard of the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, have I declared unto you. (11) The burden

of Dumah. He calleth to me out of Seir, Watchman, what of the night? Watchman, what of the night? (12) The watchman said, The morning cometh, and also the night: if ye will enquire, enquire ye: return, come.”

When is the best time to make preparation for the night? The Day .

Lets go to the book of John, chapter 9:1- And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man

which was blind from his birth.(2) And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? (3) Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. (4) I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.”

Again, when is the best time to make preparation for the night? This is what Jesus said to His disciples. Here was Jesus answer , “I must work the works of Him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.”

Watchmen what of the night, the morning cometh, the time of day is preparation for the night.

Now let’s go back to Isaiah 62: vs 6. “I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence, (7) And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth.”

So God tells the watchmen, be not silent and to feed the flock of God. The watchmen are to be on duty till Jesus comes again.

Now lets’ go to II Samuel Chapter 18, and there it tells us the duty of a watchman . II Samuel 18, vs.24.

And it says “ And David sat between the two gates: and the watchman went up to the roof over the gate unto the wall, and lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold a man running alone.

And what does the watchman do ? “(25) And the watchman cried , and told the king. And the king said, If he be alone, there is tidings in his mouth. And he came apace, and drew near. (26) And the watchman saw another man running: and the watchman called unto the porter, and said, Behold another man running alone. And the king said, He also bringeth tidings. (27) And the watchman said, Me thinketh the running of the foremost is like the running of Ahimaaz the son of Zadok. And the king said, He is a good man, and cometh with good tidings.”

The description of a watchman here, that there was no danger. That the people know what’s going on. That’s the duty and function of the watchman .

Watchmen are called to feed the people of God . Let’s turn to I Peter, chapter 5.

Beginning in verse 1: “The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Notice now what the watchman must do “(2) Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the Over sight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;” (3) Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. (4) And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

So what will the Faithful Watchman receive? When the Saviour returns? A Crown of Glory .

Now go with me to the book of Acts chapter 20: (Paul is speaking here) vs. 25.

“And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.” (26) Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.

So what made him pure from the blood of all men ?

(27) “For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. (28) Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.”

So the Watchmen of the Night are to watch (Overseers) and feed the church of God.

God’s Watchmen are to warn the church of the danger that is coming to His Church.

Again, lets’ review in Gods’ Holy Writ Ezekiel 33: 6-9, of that of a watchman description.

“But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take [any] person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman’s hand. (7) So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me. (8) When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. (9) Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.” Ezekiel 33:6-9.

Are there False Watchmen?

Isaiah 56: 10 “His watchmen [are] blind: they are all ignorant, they [are] all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.” God warns us in His holy Writ and in SOP. The Nation Sunday Law will be the final test for the Seventh-day Adventist, but also the world too. And we can see much evidence that there is a Sunday Law is and has been brewing. I must add here brothers and sisters the qualifier. You can keep the 7th day Sabbath, pay your tithe, etc., but if you and I don’t have the daily relationship with Christ. The others won’t count. Remember, Christ tell us in Mathew 7:21, 22. “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

We all need to prepare ourselves for the final Spiritual Battle. And what must be prepared? It’s Our Minds .

{See what Sister White says in The Great Controversy on page 605, concerning alarmists.}

Sister White tells us in the Great Controversy page 605.3 -1888

“Heretofore those who presented the truths of the third angel’s message have often been regarded as mere alarmists. Their predictions that religious intolerance would gain control in the United States, that church and State would unite to persecute those who keep the commandments of God, have been pronounced groundless and absurd. It has been confidently declared that this land could never become other than what it has been, the defender of religious freedom. But as the question of enforcing Sunday observance is widely agitated, the event so long doubted and disbelieved is seen to be approaching,

and the third message will produce an effect which it could not have had before. - {GC88 605.3}

I watched this video, and in my opinion, it was pathetic, on the surface its sounded good, but its full of cunning mixture of truth and errors. What SOP calls Free-Lovism. Satan never changes, he just reinvents his pantheistic ideas, and repackages it for the different ages in time. God says mans word is but “chaff”.

The Omega Rebellion says “Accusers of the Brethren”, “Judge Not”. What did the Master say? “You will know them by their fruits” ? Correct?

Matthew 7:1 is probably one of the most misunderstood verses on this subject, and one of the most taken out of context Scriptures in the Bible. Let’s look at the verse and its context.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.” — (Matthew 7:1-5.)

If we take just this passage just at a glance, one might be able to make the case of the popular judgment belief. But let’s dig in further. According to Strong’s Concordance , the word for judge means, “to try, condemn, punish, to damn, decree, sentence to…”

This is talking about condemning someone to hell for their course of action. And of course, no one but God has the right to do that. As humans, we cannot judge motive. In addition, this passage has a very important point. We cannot condemn others for their sin while we ourselves are indulging in some sin.

This type of judgment comes from legalism. When we try to earn Heaven by our own works, when we have our own standard to live to get to Heaven by instead of God’s, it leads to condemning others who do not live up to our own ideas. This is what Jesus was talking about here. Ellen G. White talks about this in Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, page 123.

We could use the example of the Pharisees. They did not want righteousness by faith. They wanted to earn Heaven. They also did not want to experience what their ancestors did by being slaves to the Babylonians as punishment for their idolatry. So they came up with multitudinous rules and regulations to avoid this.

The Spirit of Prophecy says it this way:

“The people partook largely of the same spirit, intruding upon the province of conscience and judging one another in matters that lay between the soul and God. It was in reference to this spirit and practice that Jesus said, “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” That is, do not set yourself up as a standard. Do not make your opinions, your views of duty, your interpretations of Scripture, a criterion for others and in your heart condemn them if they do not come up to your ideal. Do not criticize others, conjecturing as to their motives and passing judgment upon them.” — (Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, p. 123.)

A mountain of quotes do not necessarily add up to a plain message.

2 Likes

I wonder how many people are actually reading the mountain of quotes, or are scrolling through them? I’m guessing most of us are scrolling! :wink:

Amen…Brother SOP called it Free-Lovism…

Not to the blind, maybe you need some eye salve?

I have no clue of what you are talking about. What mountain of quotes?

Ah…, it must be something in that excessively long post that took me a long time to scroll down (very inconvenient movement of the finger on the mouse). You know, I don’t read those written lectures, so I must certainly have (gladly) missed the “oration”…
@cfowler

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.