We Didn't Start the Fire but the Tinder was Ours

(Tim Teichman) #23

The options should be:

1. Die
  2. Apostasy
  3. I’m a pastor and yet you won’t ordain me so I’ll go elsewhere
  4. I no longer want to have anything to do with the misogynistic corporate church
  5. I actually studied my bible and found out what it means - and it’s not what you told me it means
  6. I like wine

(Cfowler) #24

#7. Move my name to ________ church. (If that is what is desired).

Refusing to move someone’s name to another non sda church is so beyond the pale. Stop trying to control people! It only makes you look bad.

(Tim Teichman) #25

How about:
7. Move my membership to The Church of Tim.

I just started it. Just now. All the members (me) are meeting in my house, if you need an address.

(Randle Patrick) #26

I learned to never join a church, regardless of numbers, who would have me as a member.

(Cfowler) #27

I would definitely be there if I were in your neighborhood (or state)! :grinning:

(Johnny Carson) #28

Well, my stacks and stacks of years spent on various church and school boards didn’t go completely amiss! hehe!

(reliquum) #29

Done that, been there…not waiting for the sequel(ae).
It’s always about the money.

(George Tichy) #30

They gave you just a Beautiful Statement. ANY MEMBER has the right to have the name removed at any time. Whoever told you that either doesn’t know how it actually works or was trying to keep you for the sake of numbers.

(Robert Lindbeck) #31

@cfowler not even missing for 25 years got my name removed from the books. It was just moved from local church membership to conference membership. When I started attending church again they were able to locate my membership fairly readily. I thought I would have been remoived, but no, my name was still there.

(George Tichy) #32

Do you think that there may be 15 million names transferred to the conferences and the real number of members is not actually 18 million?
:wink::wink::wink:

(reliquum) #33

I suspect I might have this very reaction if/when I slip under those pearly gates…
i hope that THAT book, names written in blood, is even more difficult to be removed from.

This book down here gives no consternation whatsoever.

(Cfowler) #34

Yeah, I don’t know where our names are. We haven’t been to church in close to 15 years, I’m guessing.

What drew you back?

This looks as impressive as the last Enron audit by Arthur Andersen!
2017 Annual Statistical Report - (Last revision was made on June 7, 2018)

(Johnny Carson) #36

That’s my experience. Call it what we wish, when we strip away all the fluff it’s about money, and occasionally it’s about image, but mostly it’s about money.

(Johnny Carson) #37

“So I be written in the Book of Love. I do not care about that Book Above. Erase my name, or write it as you will. So I be written in the Book of Love.” ~ Omar Khayyam

(Robert Lindbeck) #38

One word…Community. I found a community rather than a church.

(Cfowler) #39

That’s good…I get what you are saying. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Johnny Carson) #40

I agree with you on this. I have some big reservations about Adventism I see and the Adventism I grew up with. They’re very different yet to a large degree they’re the same. What I have found is that there is no way that I will ever see eye to eye with everyone within my church community. That said, I know that there are some who see things similarly to me, and who are also looking for community. As I’ve said here before, I stay to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable :slight_smile:

I’m in complete agreement. This is why I said earlier that I didn’t get why a transfer letter would be requested in the first place.

(Johnny Carson) #42

It seems to me that “membership” while perhaps a comforting condition for some, is much more the construct of an organization that seeks control through the means of dogma. Certainly my experience in the church seems to indicate that. I’ve no problem with the concept of membership. My problem with it is its implementation as marginalizing and abusive reality in the lives of those who don’t quite measure up.