We Didn't Start the Fire but the Tinder was Ours

(Johnny Carson) #44

Oh, yes. I find it interesting the lip service given to the concept that “Truth” is synonymous and representative of the Messiah, yet we use the truth as a weapon every bit as much, if not more so, than we use it as a salve.

I prefer “the Truth” in quote marks, considering the reality that what’s presented as truth is often no more than an assertion.

(Johnny Carson) #46

“The truth” is a construct of our human imaginations, adhered to by countless generations of humans who’ve believed vastly different and even opposing versions of it, and as such “the truth” cannot be trusted as representative of anything substantive, especially on the scale of the church corporate.

Jesus said that “You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.” I agree with him. I disagree with the church that makes “the truth” into a form of bondage. They can’t help it. It’s inherent in the established systems of the church. That’s why the SDA founders were so fearful of creed and hierarchy.

They really can’t. Which religion has ever survived openness of thought. The call to believers to fortify their minds so that absolutely nothing can shake their faith in “the truth” is as genius as it is disturbing. Nor is there anything new about it. Exhibit A: Galatians 1:8.

(Website Editor) closed #48