We Missed the Meeting

I hate missing meetings and in my line of work if you do, it can end up costing you. Someone may volunteer you for something that you did not want to do. You get the worst assignments when you miss a meeting.

I feel like we as African Americans have missed the meeting – in fact, a few meetings. I felt that way on the morning of November 9, 2016. Donald Trump, against all the vast majority of polls and prognosticators’ predictions, was elected as the 45th President of the United States. One of the questions that was asked in the aftermath was how could so many people get it wrong?

The question for me was how could so many people have mislead others into thinking they were too repulsed by him to vote for him and still get in the voting booth and choose Trump. As a professed Christian, I was ashamed that 80% of White evangelicals voted for No. 45. Quite honestly, I felt betrayed. I felt like I had missed a meeting, one I was not invited to, one that other ethnic groups were not invited to, but one that affected us.

This overwhelming show of support for a man whose values are the complete opposite of the Christian ethic seemed coordinated. As a former regular listener to Christian Contemporary radio, I did not hear the call to galvanize support behind Trump. In fact, they were silent on it. I missed the push to get the Donald in office. But I wonder if there was a planned push and we just did not hear about it. (By the way, the lack of outcry on said Christian radio after his election convinced me to stop listening to that station.)

On Saturday, thousands of White supremacists (what is a nationalist?…call it what it is), descended on Charlottesville, VA to defend their race against power being taken away. In their misguided universe, somehow they are being robbed of their birthright when people call for equality. The vile rhetoric, hateful speech, and racially charged symbols were prevalent all throughout the crowd.

But the crowd was not predominantly from Charlottesville. They were from all over, far and wide. Makes you wonder who is planning all this and when and where was the meeting? Feels like people like me are missing the meeting again.

We are not invited to the meeting where younger generations who are supposedly enlightened and boast about their acceptance of all, are recruited to join this throwback hate group. We are not invited to the meeting where our fellow Christian leaders who can be vocal about defending the rights of the unborn have a coordinated silence when it comes to defending the rights of people of color. We are not invited to the meetings that coordinate when to move out of certain neighborhoods and when to re-emerge into others.

Maybe there are just some tables that we will not get invited to. Maybe we can sit around the ones where our support and our funds are needed. Maybe we are not big enough or worthy enough to get invited to the table of equality. I sure do hate missing these meetings. Maybe one day we will get invited.

Kymone Hinds and his family live in Memphis, TN. He pastors two churches: Overton Park SDA and Journey Fellowship. His first book, This is chURch, is available now on Amazon or on his website. You can connect with Kymone via twitter (@kymonehinds) or on his website at kymonehinds.com.

Image Credit: Pexels.com

If you respond to this article, please:

Make sure your comments are germane to the topic; be concise in your reply; demonstrate respect for people and ideas whether you agree or disagree with them; and limit yourself to one comment per article, unless the author of the article directly engages you in further conversation. Comments that meet these criteria are welcome on the Spectrum Website. Comments that fail to meet these criteria will be removed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/8165

After 9 months, the left still doesn’t get it. It was not an “overwhelming show of support” for Trump. It was an overwhelming rejection of business as usual, of more of the same old tired politics (which is what we would have gotten with Ms. Clinton). With all his warts, Trump represented a departure from the status quo. The pot needed to be shaken up and Trump has done so, for better or worse.

I’ve talked to very few people who actually like Trump or his abrasive rhetoric. But, instead of admitting that Hillary was one of the worst candidates the Democrats could have picked, and that they didn’t have a message that resonated with the people, they’re still trying to blame the Russians. It’s really laughable.

It’s time for the left to quit whining and if they think they’ve been dealt a basket of lemons (deplorables?), then make some lemonade.

And Adventists, of all people, should be the least to be upset, recognizing that God is still in control. He still “sets up” kings and takes them down. Remember that the gospel expanded exponentially under Caesar’s hostile government. And we are a far cry from those bad old days.

Don’t expect the soundbite media to ever ask that question.

3 Likes

Another view…

1 Like

I had a strange dream last night.
I dreamt that Ben Carson, serving in the cabinet of the 45th President of the U.S. and as a member of the Adventist Church, had called a news conference and resigned effective immediately in protest over the “moral equivalency” statements by the President.
I dreamt that Ted Wilson and the Executive Committee of the General Conference had issued a statement expressing condolences to Heather’s family over her tragic death and had issued a call for the nation to pray and heal after the events in Charlottesville. This statement also called for the nation to respect all of it’s people regardless of economic standing, race, gender or sexual orientation.
I also dreamt that the Adventist church would undertake whatever steps were necessary to end any form of discrimination in our ranks in our ministerial work by establishing a special fund for scholarships for women to be prepared and ordained to serve in ministry at all levels of our work. The money would come from the $19 million that has been set aside for the new NAD office building.

It was just a dream. But when I awoke to reality I thought I was living in a real nightmare of words from our 45th President…

“I watched those very closely, much more closely than you people watched it,” Trump lectured the assembled reporters. “And you have – you had a group on one side that was bad, and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent, and nobody wants to say that, but I’ll say it right now.”
“I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either.”
"I only tell you this, there are two sides to a story. I thought what took place was a horrible moment for our country, a horrible moment. But there are two sides to (it)."
That point of view is inaccurate. Only one side with one belief system was involved in a speeding car being rammed into a group of counter-protesters – an incident that left one woman, named Heather, dead, and more than a dozen others injured. Only one group in Charlottesville on Saturday bases their entire “belief” system on the inferiority of other people because of their race or religion. Only one group on Saturday speaks admiringly of a murderous dictator who killed millions.
“So this week it’s Robert E. Lee,” he said. "I noticed that Stonewall Jackson’s coming down. I wonder, is it George Washington next week? And is it Thomas Jefferson the week after? You know, you all – you really do have to ask yourself, where does it stop?"
Equating the first president of the United States with a Confederate general who led a rebellion against his country is, dishonest.
What the President has done over the past four days – and especially what he said on Tuesday at the White House – ensures that the hate-mongers who protested in Charlottesville will be emboldened. They will view the ambiguity of blame from the President as a win, as a stamp of approval by which they can grow their efforts to divide us and bring out the darkest parts of our humanity. That outcome is more than a failure of political leadership by the President. It is a failure of moral leadership. To condone white supremacists by insisting there are two sides to every coin is to take us back decades in our understanding of each other.The most high-profile white supremacist in the country, David Duke, said in response: "Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists in BLM/Antifa.,"
This was and is a real nightmare for all of us!

5 Likes

Pastor Hinds,

Guess what? The situation is only going to get worse.
I wonder what your sermon topics were on before this event.
Are you going to use the conflict as a catalyst./springboard for a sermon or few?

Talking about radio…years ago,I was on one of the largest audience talk radio station in USA , and presented the crime & clergy connection/trickle down immorality issue.

Here is one reason why so many SDA members = Laodicean…

“They [who teach twisted doctrine] are of the world and belong to it; therefore they speak from the [viewpoint of the] world [with its immoral freedom and baseless theories—demanding compliance with their opinions and ridiculing the values of the upright], and the [gullible one of the] world listens closely and pays attention to them.”: 1 JN 4:5 AMP

Pastor, African Americans are in a protracted war of survival , and should not become disheartened just when victory is in sight. It would definitely help to strerngthen courage if more historical work were to be done and texts made for black school-age kids to apprise them of the facts of black contribution to civilization of the Americas. Long before Moses led the Hebrews out of slavery Africans came to the Americas , bringing many firsts to meso, mainland and South America. Their 30 ton heads are preserved in the Smithsonian, and Yale, Tulane and other universities. African scholars have frecords showing that Jesus himself took courses in the Great Pyramid taught by the Priests , who reportedly had links with beings from the Sirius system and that african neophytes were gtaken by the Sirians tyo do graduation cerermonies at the all-cdiamond cathedral on Sirius B. Take heart Pastor, keep pushing for justice and proper recognition, always recognising mistakes of the past. The lack of proper democratic government in many African tribes and nations in favour of headship by CHIEFS had much to do with the slow pace of African development waay back when. Wile Euros were begging for entry(Socrates, Pythagoras etc etc) to the african system of education and were even willing to endure adult circumcision tyo be admitted, the Average African was not made aware of this worldwide sought after resource. Nevertheless The first createdhuman “root race” so to speak was African when Homo sapiens was created by the Elohim in the Rift Valley region . As they trerkked northward in search of game the trekkers secreted a hormone (all humans have it) which blocked melanin thereby manifesting a pale epidermis mofre suitable to admitting VItamin D from the sloping rays of the sun in temperate climes to enable sketal integrity. Whites are therefore your rerlatives (younger) as will be recognmised when the REAL breaking story is recognised. Best to you and your congregation, sir.

This piece nearly causes a regurgitation effect.
Rarely do I get to read such a elitist perspective.
It starts off as a holier than thou insult to any christian who voted for Trump then segways into the (riot? conflict?) in Charlotte as if a few hundred skinheads and Trump had anything in common except that they were violently disliked by the author.

This illustrates a huge problem in the US currently.
The author is not talking about a principled point or any logically derived conclusion or assessment.
If it was we would have seen at this venue his piece decrying Black lives matter movement and all the marches that were also thinly disguised riots. The vile college campus protests seeking to deny guest speakers and the ones who wish to hear them the right of free speech. Just today a Mississippi state legislator called for Trumps assassination.
Any objective person could rationally weigh the objectionable aspects of these groups.
One could weigh the amount of businesses burned, cars overturned and lit on fire or people dragged from their cars and beaten by groups of people who dislike Trump like the author of this piece does. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/14/man-viciously-beaten-chicago-bystanders-scream-he-voted-donald-trump/93787862/

I have seen what has happened in Portland over the years.
Where skin heads and Nazi affiliates were seen as pathetic and inbred, having no power and freak sideshows. Now, for the last decade its been the opposite. Antifa is really an anarchist movement that masquerades under various pretenses and issues. They have caused Parades to be canceled due to violent threats over the fact that there was a republican party float signed up to attend. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/30/how-liberal-portland-became-americas-most-politically-violent-city-215322

David Duke has been regulated to the role of cartoon character and inconsequential nothing by America up until recently. I fear the actions by Antifa over the last few years which spawned the Charlotte march will inflame those types of people who at this point seem to be the only ones standing up for the insanity and lack of accountability Antifa has faced for its crimes.
If you have one honest decent impartial bone left in your body ask yourself this question. Why does Antifa wear masks and hide identities and the skinheads do not?
I mean if Antifa is on the side of the angels and all…why light the world on fire and hide your face?

4 Likes