Wear Purple or a Sunflower to Show Your Support of Women’s Ordination

The Association of Adventist Women invites others to join them in wearing purple or a sunflower to church on the first Sabbath of each month:

Purple is a royal color. It's rich and reminds us that we are sons and daughters of the King.

The first Sabbath of every month is when we have chosen to wear purple to remind our women pastors around the globe that we believe they should be ordained to the gospel ministry of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

If you have been blessed by the ministry of women or have daughters that you want to feel accepted into the ministry of Jesus Christ, join us.

If purple isn't your thing, try wearing a sunflower. Sunflowers keep their faces turned towards the source of light, just as we always keep facing the Son.

Learn more about the Association of Adventist Women on their website: https://www.associationofadventistwomen.com/

Image courtesy of AAW.

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/10256

Of course I am always in awe of the Association of Adventist WOMEN and their
SPLENDID, STELLAR, SUPERB, SUPREME,
constituency.

However IMHO wearing purple or a sunflower on one sabbath a month will be ineffective in changing the misogynist modus operandi of our
NAD and GC!

Much more effective, if one sabbath a month your members would go on strike —- and choose the potluck sabbath to do so !

Let the men do the cooking, serving and clean up!

Also let the men run CRADLE ROLL, PRIMARY , YOUTH Sabbath School.

The organist/ pianist / soloist / choir leader, if female, needs to call in sick that day.

And the female who types, prints and prepares the worship bulletin
should claim temporary incapability.

Come summer, Vacation Bible Schools should be cancelled, unless
the men plan to run them, without support from women members.
PATHFINDERS also needs to be run by the male members.

Adventist women need to demonstrate how INDISPENSABLE they are in running local congregations.

Many of our professional women are high earners — they need to designate their church donations carefully, so as not to support misogynistic elements of our church structure .

Our Adventist women have CLOUT — please use it !

Also you will save the money you would have spent on that expensive purple dress / suit / blouse / hat.

2 Likes

It must be coincidence that purple is the color designated to show support to the victims of domestic abuse. Hey! Maybe it applies here! Is the attempt to block women from ordination a kind of gender abuse?

5 Likes

FWIW, I’m a male and I lead out in Sabbath School for 3rd and 4th graders for 18 years. Men in Kindergarten. Men in Juniors. Men in Earliteen’s. Men in Youth. A man has been in charge of Pathfinders for decades in the same church. Many women elders, too! Guess I belong to a pretty good congregation! PTL!

5 Likes

And, of course, we’ve had women pastors for decades, too! My bad for forgetting that very important point.

1 Like

If at nomination committee time women would refuse any position requiring them to speak or teach in church (hostess, sabbath school teacher, song leader, missionary stories, children’s divisions, etc.), one might see a change as well.

1 Like

Wear a sunflower? Maybe dress as a sunflower? And all the women can get on the platform once a month and sing, " Jesus wants me for a sunflower, To shine for him each day; In ev’ry way try to please him, At home, at school, at play."

Maybe all men should hang a massive sunflower around their necks every Sabbath and wear a purple tie.

My mind is blown mindblown

2 Likes

Misogynist: a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.

If I am opposed to Women’s Ordination am I a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women?

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.