Women’s March on Washington - January 21, 2017

The original plan was to get up early Saturday morning and get to the Prince George’s Plaza Metro station (on the Green Line) around 9.00am. The rally for the Women’s March on Washington was supposed to start at 10:00 between 3rd and 4th streets on Independence Avenue, and the march was to begin at 1.15 and wind itself down the length of the Mall and then north to the White House. In the end, I didn’t get to the station until about 11.30, but I hoped that I’d get to the rally area in time to hear a few of the speeches or songs, and then join in for the march.

When the train came it was about half full of men and women in pink hats – knitted pink pussy hats, fuzzy pink headbands with glittery bobbles, pink foam Statue of Liberty crowns – and one somewhat bemused man in a white hardhat. The mood was cheerful and there was a lot of laughter. By the time we got into the city the train was full. I’d planned to get off the Metro at L’Enfant Plaza, as it was the closest I could get to the rally area near the Capitol building without changing trains, but as we approached the Galley Place stop in Chinatown there was an announcement that the train would not be stopping at either the Archives stop or L’Enfant Plaza as they were so full of people it was unsafe. So, everyone trooped off the train at Gallery, out of the station on the corner of 7th and F Streets, and into a street party. We were four blocks north of the mall and the streets in every direction were packed with women, men, young, old, children, pink hats, banners, and placards both strident and funny.

Traffic was blocked off and people filled the streets and sidewalks. The flow of pedestrians was moving slowly south on 7th Street so we followed it as far as Constitution Avenue, which forms the northern edge of the Mall. At that point the crowds going South just weren’t moving so the procession turned and started following Constitution west. My phone was having trouble picking up a signal but people in the crowd kept shouting out updates on the situation. There were a lot more people than the organizers had anticipated and the streets surrounding the rally area were gridlocked. Latecomers were being routed around the area, directly toward the White House. None of us were in a hurry and with so many people we couldn’t have moved fast if we’d wanted, so we ambled westerly, slowing down at each intersection as more people joined the procession from all directions.

As we moved, small groups of people would start singing or chanting, those near would take up the refrain, and the sound would move through the crowd. At various times we were singing along to “America the Beautiful” or the “Star Spangled Banner” or “This Land is Your Land,” at others shouting out very catchy (and occasionally raunchy) chants. My favorite was “We need a leader, not a creepy tweeter.” Every few minutes a howl would move up the street, like an audible Mexican wave, and I found myself whooping along with the crowd.

The atmosphere was odd – jubilant, friendly, angry, polite. A friend described the L.A. March as feeling “like a gigantic support group for throngs of folks who have felt despair since election night” and that’s exactly how the D.C. March felt to me. We were a gathering of elderly white couples, middle aged black women, blond teenage girls, families with small children, every age, color, gender, ethnicity was represented. Although we were marching for many different reasons—many for reproductive rights or for black lives, others against a Muslim registry, still others for the rights of indigenous peoples or for the environment—we all had one common cause: to stand up for the vulnerable, the disenfranchised, the despised.

And by the time we reached the White House, streamed across the lawns, and shuffled along the path across the front of the building, it didn’t matter that the resident wasn’t there to watch us. The world was.

Wendy Trim is Sabbath School Editor for SpectrumMagazine.org.

If you respond to this article, please:

Make sure your comments are germane to the topic; be concise in your reply; demonstrate respect for people and ideas whether you agree or disagree with them; and limit yourself to one comment per article, unless the author of the article directly engages you in further conversation. Comments that meet these criteria are welcome on the Spectrum Website. Comments that fail to meet these criteria will be removed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/7856
1 Like

On a sunny, brisk Sabbath morning, I marched in Walla Walla here we were visiting our college kids, and family friends. While marching, I thought marchers in the Bible - marching to Zion, the triumphal entry, etc. Not an exhaustive list. I kept coming back to the marchers around Jericho and Sabbath as the day of their penultimate marches, 7 of them, to tear down the walls. Were we marching to tear down walls? Most definitely. (Yes, “that wall” came to mind as I thought about the Mexicans in our group.) Other walls, too - gender, privilege, race, sexuality, and all the many ways we wall off others around us. I could have stayed for 6 more laps.

5 Likes

A true Christian within the Adventist community is being pressured from two sides. Headship in thchuch and ethnicity in citizenship. Even come Lord Jesus. TZ

2 Likes

Saddens me that SDA’s seem excited about taking part in THIS march, but you rarely hear about them marching in the Right to Life march… Unfortunately, it seems as SDA’s more and more are lining up on the wrong side of the social issues. Do they really think that keeping the 7th Day Sabbath is going to exempt them from their responsibility to stand up for the unborn Babies?

13 Likes

Double Standard
++++++++++++
Wendy:

1.Why not lead a demonstration in Silver Springs and tell Ted Wilson “Ted, I am here to tell you I am powerful and that I have a voice”

2.Why do you expect less from Ted Wilson than Donald Trump. And while you are at it ask Ted why he had knowingly tolerated fraud and wanted his chum a plagiarist and liar to stay in power. Donald Trump might damage America but Ted Wilson is destroying your church. And no one is getting angry about it.

Power and peace to you, Edgar

7 Likes

My daughter was at that march in DC last week. She encountered a few groups of “Pro-Birth” supporters who were handing out literature, and who were treated respectfully. The groups who are the real pro life people were supporting continuing the ACA/medical care for people, supporting refugees, supporting a woman’s right to bodily autonomy, supporting the right to clean water/air (“Regulations Save Lives”), etc. I believe the Pro-Birth march was yesterday.

5 Likes

From the article, “we all had one common cause: to stand up for the vulnerable, the disenfranchised, the despised.”

I can’t think of anything more Christlike.

8 Likes

I believe life begins at conception, and that the need for abortions should be reduced as much as possible. But I think the productive and compassionate way to do this is through proper education and birth control, which has already proven to be effective when and where it is available. But I will not side with a “pro-life” movement that seeks a blanket ban. The methods of the politicians pushing this position tread on everyone’s rights. I do NOT want non-physician politicians telling my doctor what she can and cannot discuss with me. I do NOT want non-scientist politicians providing scripts to my doctor full of factually false medical information and forcing them to read these lies to me. I do NOT want head-in-the-sand politicians forcing my doctors to perform non-medically necessary procedures to further their political agenda. Especially when the number of abortions can be reduced in other ways.

That said, I was not marching for abortion rights. I was marching to show immigrants and environmentalists and marginalized groups that I will stand up for them if push comes to shove. The “least of these” should not be alone. I believe this is my duty as a Christian. I was proud to march.

The pro-life movement may be extremely sincere, but being simply pro-birth is not Christian. Especially if you don’t support providing children with food and shelter, medical care, or education after they are born. Have those anti-abortion marchers adopted any unwanted or unplanned children? Have they supported a single mother? Are the men mentoring kids without fathers? Have they provided so much as ONE single hour of babysitting so a mom can go to class or a job interview? Or are they simply heaping shame on women getting abortions? There are so many Christ-like, effective things we COULD be doing. But we aren’t.

13 Likes

My roommate died because a certain hospital would not do an abortion. Yes the baby was saved, but without a mother and the man without his wife.

9 Likes

I’m sure that there was no place on the presidential voting ballots – for either the U.S. President, or the General Conference President – to vote
"None of the Above".
So, I am inclined to view the protests against each ‘elected’ president as an essential part of any real and valid ‘vote’.

The next question to be faced is,
“If not them, who ?”

The next problem to be faced is – regardless of the person elected –
How do we fight our enemies . . . without becoming them ?”

For true Seventh-day Adventists, found ‘in Christ’, the answer will always be the same, regardless of gender or race :

“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2
(‘Despising shame’ ? ! That’s an ironic twist ! )

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
For in him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. . . .
Let no man therefore judge you . . . .” Colossians 2:8-10, 16
(Paul had just described Christ as the ‘Head’ to which ‘all parts’ of the ‘body’ have direct access . . . therefore don’t look to another ‘body part’ – or ‘fraternal’ ‘gang’ of ‘body parts’ – for answers, but to the singular, ‘Head’.)

Both James and Ellen White came to understand, together – female and male – that the Laodicean Message of Revelation 3:14-21 applied to the SDA church, and that its purpose was to ‘shake’ the church, to sift out the ‘chaff’ that would not open the proud door of their hearts to vote ‘Jesus’ in.

Paul’s letter to the Colossians was also addressed to the Laodicean church:

“And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.”
Colossians 4:16

The humble woman, Ellen, timidly accepted that high position of being God’s Messenger to humans which 2 proud males before her rejected.
This is what God said, through her:

“In matters of conscience the soul must be left untrammeled. No one is to control another’s mind, to judge for another, or to prescribe his duty. God gives to every soul freedom to think, and to follow his own convictions.
“Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.”
_ No one has a right to merge his own individuality in that of another._
In all matters where principle is involved, “let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.” Romans 14:12, 5. In Christ’s kingdom there is no lordly oppression, no compulsion of manner. The angels of heaven do not come to the earth to rule, and to exact homage, but as messengers of mercy, to co-operate with men in uplifting humanity.” {DA 550.6}

As SDAs, we understand that we have a right to ‘vote’ for – or against– such a King as Christ is, such a ‘President’, Who, in the eyes of the rest of the universe has already won the battle against ‘self-rule’, alone . . .
and He did it all alone:

“O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it,
thy will be done.
And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.”
Matthew 26:42-43
(The ordained officers of the GC were asleep at the height of Christ’s victory ? !)

Alone, as a fleshy human individual with a Divine mind, a Divine ‘heart’, the Christ suffered infinitely to win back the individuality of humans so that they might freely choose whom they will serve, or not, because Satan had fooled us – enslaving us, through self-love-and-self-loathing, sin-and-guilt – unfairly. Therefore God, ‘Himself’, says we have no right to surrender that individuality to an-other or, to many-others. The Father, Spirit and the Christ have paid the infinite price to regain the right and power of individual human choice for us, and They choose to return that right and power to us, as a gift only. . . un-earned by us. Therefore the right and the power to choose is not ours to give to, or to remove from, one another in Christ’s church on Earth, but the God-Family’s alone. Their possession and right to give this gift to humans is not negotiable among us in the church on Earth, simply because we did not Create our own human flesh, nor do we re-Create our own human ‘hearts’.
Satan is not ‘God’, and neither are we sin-sick, guilt-sick humans who are Christ’s church on Earth. So, how dare we attempt to ‘create’ the unchangeable Creators in our own ‘post-fall’ image – MALE and . . . maybe . . . sometimes . . . when we can’t handle it ourselves within our ‘same sex’ . . . female !
(Barak and Deborah and Jael come to mind.
Mama Jael killed big bad Sisera using milk, baby food !)

Nonetheless, just this past week I found the website of a ‘counsel’ of ‘associating’ , ‘fraternal’ SDA pastors – including some who are world-famous – that are ‘binding themselves in bundles, ready to be burned’, as Ellen would say. They have lost my respect, and gained my disgust, and – I hope, and aspire to – my pity.

These pastors,while claiming that the authority of the General Conference is supreme in Christ’s church, on earth, have nonetheless betrayed their own, secret, true, lack of trust in the ‘power’ and ‘authority’ of the GC, by moving to form a ‘fraternity’ to supplement that ‘authority’ – steadying God’s ark-footstool, like ‘Strong’, manly ‘Uzzah’ – instead of individually turning to King Jesus, ‘the Head’ for help. (“This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, ‘Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit’, saith the LORD of hosts.” Zechariah 4:6) This disrespect is what Malachi referred to as ‘Levites’ and ‘Judean’ kings were taking God’s name in vain, and robbing Him of the whole, healthy tithe-animals from the flock meant to represent the Holy, ‘healthy’ Christ . . . for them it was as if the ‘Name’ of Christ, the ‘Lamb’, was a useless, ‘vain’, crippled Helper in their troubles. This disrespect was persisting, even after Judah had had the lesson of God taking Babylon’s side in Isaiah and Jeremiah’s time, against Judah’s ‘counsels’, their ‘associations’, their ‘self-righteous’ weaponry, after they rejected God as ‘vain’ help:

Associate yourselves, O ye people, and ye shall be broken in pieces;
and give ear, all ye of far countries:
gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces;
gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces.
Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought;
speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.” Isaiah 8:9-10

(‘Us’ in this situation was that ‘Babylon’ that Judah had been repeatedly warned by God to submit peacefully to, for merely 70 years. God was with ‘Babylon’ for those 70 years because Judah had rejected Him. During that time Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus/Darius – the destroyer and the rebuilder of Jerusalem and the Temple – both wrote portions of the Bible in praise of the true God. The name ‘Judah’ means such ‘praise’, but had they lived up to that ‘Name’ as Jesus – ‘King of Praisers’ – later did at Golgotha ?)

The fall of ancient Jerusalem ‘to Rome’ was brought about mostly from within by three ‘fraternal’ factions who stole food from that infamous ‘mother’ who is still ‘blamed’ – alone – for eating her baby. I just read in Josephus’ account last week that those in the fraternities were well enough fed, they were just stealing from fellow Jews and ‘hoarding’ for their own fraternity’s future survival, because their infighting had destroyed the stores of food within Jerusalem’s walls that would have lasted for years.

I have been a member of a ‘fraternal’ labor union.
I have also witnessed some of such ‘mob rule’ by ‘men only’ at a picket line I was supposed to cross as a non-union worker with ‘protection’ from police of yet another ‘fraternity’ – the “Fraternal Order of Police”. Those two small-town police who were sent to ‘protect’ me were sent, instead, to the hospital after a mob of over 300 bussed-in iron workers (Who were enjoying free donuts and coffee? !) ‘won’ the ‘great battle’ by dragging them from their car and beating them up . . . .

So, women, yes, you have ‘power’,
but be careful which power you choose to use:

Mob power ?
Or, that power of the individual, in whom the King of the Universe also rules ?

Jesus, too, once ‘lost the vote’, among the conspiratorial, ‘fraternal’ rabble,
at the ‘place of the skull’.

Let us as SDA individuals – male, female, or otherwise –
‘choose this day’ to whom we will freely submit our wills :
To deceptive slave-holders ?
Or, to that Family Whose throne of the whole universe, we, in return, are invited to share with Them.

Will we ‘become’ our enemies, or our Friends ?

Bold decision to publish this story–and the photos. We proudly marched – wearing knitted pink pussy hats and hoisting hand-made signs. We marched for women’s issues, minorities, and the environment.

A march on the GC – I have a hard time imagining that ever getting organized.

2 Likes

It saddens me to see the vulgarity posted on this site and people are proud of themselves for it.

5 Likes

Did anyone in the SDA club march in the March for Life with a report? Just curious.

2 Likes

Once again, “Unborn babies” language, assuming that from the moment of conception the right of the conceptus–zygote–fetus has an right to life that is greater than the mother’s, that it’s right to life trumps all other considerations, is simplistic and unfair. Where is the careful thoughtfulness, theological and otherwise. No pro-choice person is pro-abortion.

5 Likes

The signs shown here and the tenor of the comments does show a bit of vulgarity to this all. Is Trump pure? Not on your life! Not to defend him, but his comments were from years ago. I have not seen the feminists get upset with Bill, who was just as guilty.

(The) fetus has an right to life that is greater than the mother’s, that it’s right to life trumps all other considerations.

I don’t think that is quite the feeling of the pro-life folk, but you might say that because of the way the abortion folk are so willing to stretch any loophole to swallow a camel, the profile folk feel they have to take a very firm stance.

And i might add that many pro Abortion folk are adamant that the fetus should give its life for any whim or inconvenience of its mother and any time before compete birth. Talk about vulnerable!! The Trump frustrated immigrants face nothing like that!

Maybe viewing a late term abortion might give some insight.

1 Like

it should sadden all of us much more to see women denigrated for being female. The G.C. attitude toward women is the worst vulgarity of all.

5 Likes

Please stop it. Would you say the same for someone saying it is wrong to murder a 2 year old, unless they will support providing the children with food, shelter, medical care and education? Such logic boggles the mind!

3 Likes

I would think that there are Christians doing these things, but many times they aren’t out tooting their own horn. They are caring for children without drawing attention to themselves. Is that a possibility?

3 Likes

I’ve just been reading ‘Practical Ethics’ by Peter Sanger, (thank you PUC library) which has help to clarify what is ‘life’, what is ‘sentience’ and how these things affect what makes a being a being (which includes animals who are much more sentient that an unborn human, but animals which we kill and eat). The many examples and questions in this book make a lot of sense to me, and have changed my thinking about when life ‘begins’, and even when it should/could end. Thank you to all who marched, and may I encourage you, and me, to continue even as individuals. It is much harder to stand alone holding a sign, a la Anne Lamott, but can change the world.

1 Like

Carolyn, Practical Ethics was written by Peter Singer.

Did you know he said there is no ontologically significant difference between a fetus and a newborn?

Giubilini and Minerva note that philosophers such as Peter Singer have presented arguments for neonaticide for many years.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2012/03/after_birth_abortion_the_pro_choice_case_for_infanticide_.html

2 Likes