Women To Explore Mentorship at Annual Conference

(system) #1

Gordon Bietz, president of Southern Adventist University, will be in the minority at an upcoming conference being held on the university campus. Bietz is the only man listed on the conference program for the Association of Adventist Women’s annual conference October 16 through 18 — but he will stand in august company.

Ella Simmons, general vice president of the General Conference (the first woman to fill this role) is the keynote speaker for the event, and will give her address on Thursday evening.

Sandra Roberts, president of the Southeastern California Conference (the first woman conference president) will speak on “Mentoring and the Woman Pastor” during the last session on Sabbath afternoon.

Carla Baker, women’s ministries director for North American Division, will join pastor and director of the Columbia Union’s evangelism school Tara VinCross in a panel about women mentoring women.

Other presenters include senior pastor of the Keene SDA Church Jennifer Scott, marriage and family therapist Pamela Melnick, retired social work professor and department chair Edith Fraser, and professor and previous hospital administrator Gloria Ceballos.

The yearly gathering also includes an agape supper and a Woman of the Year banquet.

This year’s theme, "Lifting As We Climb: Women Mentoring Women,” will explore the role of mentoring in personal (physical, mental, and spiritual) and professional achievement.

Since it began in 1982, the Association of Adventist women has been promoting Adventist women, and working toward equality for Adventist women and Adventist women in leadership, including the ordination of women.

Its annual conference is a feast of fellowship and support for Adventist women. Over the years, the Association of Adventist Women has honored a number of outstanding Adventist women who are not only doing groundbreaking work in the church, but also those with extraordinary achievements in a variety of fields, including engineering, medicine, sports, the law, civil rights and more.

Who will be the Women of the Year in 2014?

For conference information and and registration, visit aaw.cc.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6276

(Steve Mga) #2

Amen! Amen! Amen! Amen! [20 characters].

(jeremy) #3

someone from my church, who does a lot with women’s ministries in the alberta conference, was just telling me she plans to attend a women’s ministry gathering in orlando, starting tomorrow…here’s a link with info:

http://www.adventistontario.org/NewsEvents/NewsEventDetails/TabId/133/ArtMID/556/ArticleID/43/North-American-Division-Women’s-Ministries-Convention-–-Orlando-Florida.aspx

it seems like women are really galvanizing themselves lately…

(Steve Mga) #4

"Galvanizing"
It depends on whether the Women of the Church are allowed to come up with an increased sense of self-worth as regards to their place in the Church and their place in God’s Work. OR, will they just continue to look in the mirror and just mechanically repeat what the Men of the Church have told them who they are and what they can do since they were little girls?
Will the Presenters just parrot to the women what the Men of the Church see as the place of women in the Church and in their [the Men’s] Society?

(George Tichy) #5

I definitely need to attend this Conference! Just imagine the “voting potential” of that group in SA/2015!..

It seems that women in important/key positions are mobilizing themselves in a more serious way, to really send a message to the male discriminators that are still trying to treat women as it was in the stone age. Is TW going to show up to warn them about the “grave consequences?”…

Good for them! Best thing to do is to start ignoring those discriminators and proceed as an unified group of female leaders who are accomplishing some healthy goals.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #6

thank God there is a gender difference. but also thank God there is no moral intellectual, or educational potential difference, nor is there any difference in understanding the Great Commission or it message. For the product they send South they are doing a very poor job of vetting. Tom Z

(Elmer Cupino) #7

"Who will be the Women of the Year in 2014?"

I nominate Sandra Roberts.

Then our GC president will have to acknowledge her two times, first for being voted as president of the SECC by her constituents and second, for being voted as the Woman of the Year 2014 by her constituents.

All heaven will be rejoicing!

(George Tichy) #8

I sure second this nomination.

(Interested Friend) #9

Is there ever any emphasis on the nuclear family? A mother’s responsibility to her husband and children? Or do we just play along with the latch key syndrome?
In The Grip of Truth

(George Tichy) #10

Are you by any chance suggesting that those women don’t know or do not meet their responsibilities as wives and mothers at home?
I bet you, as I do, know some male pastors or church officials that do good at church but are a disaster as husbands and/or fathers. How should the Church handle these cases, huh?
The Church sometimes resembles the NFL - protect the guys no matter what!

(jeremy) #11

well in the case of the church member i’m referring to, whom i’ve known for many years, her main interest in women’s ministries has to do with helping women be better wives and mothers…she’s particularly active in native women’s ministries, which is an area in which the family is everything…frequently it is the mother who keeps it all together…

(Thomas J Zwemer) #12

the male ego knows no bounds.,Rome elevates Mary, the mother of Jesus, above Jesus, as if since Jesus turned water into wine at her bidding–He will do the same in heaven. yes women have a minor role in the church. Adventism takes its model and assign them to the sand box. Reid Memorial Presbyter Church has has five pastors during my membership. one was a woman, She would rank second in the list of five in competence. three males were asked to leave. Their ego surpassed their calling. Tom Z

(George Tichy) #13

And now comes this TW’s latest move “urging” members to study WO by themselves. And I thought for a couple of times that the TOSC was supposed to do that!..

I wonder what is behind it! There must be some plan, something they have in mind that they didn’t tell us yet. May it be that they already decided “un-officially” something about WO regarding what will be recommended by the Annual Council and are just covering their bases with this "nice talk?"
Go figure!

(Elaine Nelson) #14

There are many more families today where the father has absconded, leaving the mother and children to fend for themselves. Who is teaching the father’s responsibility? Look around in your own church: How many single mothers compared to single fathers raising children?

(George Tichy) #15

Elaine,
The obsession to support discrimination of women blinds those people who for some reason cannot treat women at the same level as men are treated.

They hide behind “religion” and make it the scapegoat for their own biases, but honestly, I would like to figure out the real problems those people have. There must be some reason, just it’s not a legit religious/spiritual reason.

(Elmer Cupino) #16

Would you allow me to rephrase your statement?

"Is there ever any emphasis on the nuclear family? A father’s responsibility to his wife and children? Or do we just play along with the latch key syndrome?"

(Steve Mga) #17

George
It has ONLY been studied for 40 years. Only Half of the life of an average person. Surely! Something new will come up if ALL the Lay persons study it now after 40 years.

(Elmer Cupino) #18

"the male ego knows no bounds"

And it transcends religion. Who would claim that the SDA church cannot do what other churches can?

LOL!

(George Tichy) #19

Steve, it seems that those people believe that the old dogs are no longer around and therefore they can come up with all those silly ideas because the youth…, well…, actually, the youth are not even paying attention to them…

But the old dogs can smell it when some trick is thrown on them, can’t we???

(Steve Mga) #20

George
See my response to Lourdes – The Adventist Women Organization!
Steve.